Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

I think the Christmas day/boxing day games from 60s and before that tended to be derbies or as close to derbies they could get. (Although saying that, I remember talking to an old West Brom fan who said NUFC were the biggest draw at the hawthorns and the travelling Geordies were great but liked a bit too much to drink and the game he was talking about was a boxing day game IIRC. He was a canny age so I asked him what era he was going on about and he said late 30s!) :lol:

Wasn't our 4-4 against Arsenal on a day of ridiculous scorelines?

5 Feb 2011 23:59 UK

41 goals

No game <2.5 goals

Just remembered that match on the plastic pitch at Loftus Road when we were winning 4-nowt at half time and ended drawing 5-5. To make it even better we scored to make it 5-3 with about 5 minutes to go :lol: Was listening to it on Metro Radio and even at that young age I thought it was typical NUFC.

Yeah that's a great article but it also made me kinda sad about England. A friend of mine texted me last night when Kane scored and I had no idea what he was even talking about. I assumed Spurs had just got an unlikely winner against a Champions League heavyweight or something, it never even occurred to me that England would be playing, or that anyone would care if they scored a late winner.

I feel absolutely nothing for the national team anymore. More likely to root for Germany these days.

all it would take to turn it around is a team that played with flair and passion, instead of the cowardly shit scared shower we've endured across several managers over the past decade.

so what do they do? appoint gareth southgate ffs 

And before him, Roy Hodgson. It's hopeless. The FA are so far out of touch that it's not even worth hoping that this will turn around someday. Even if they weren't though, it's the PL that killed England really.

I would choose Newcastle over England every time - even with Mike Ashley, relegations, and all the utter shit we've had to deal with over the years.

It made me think of watching the match when England beat Hungary at a packed Wembley to secure World Cup qualification for Espana 82. I know there was much, much less football on TV then and that England hadn't qualified for a World Cup since 1970 but the difference in the interest in that match compared with the one last night was staggering. There were about 10 of my Dad's mates round watching it and everybody jumped up and cheered when Paul Mariner scored the game's only goal early in the first half. No one seems to give a shit now.

Also, following on from what you two were saying, the annoying thing is that (while I'm not suggesting for a moment we should be winning the World Cup) we should have the makings of a pretty exciting young team.

if the players at least tried to play with a bit of freedom, you'd forgive them for falling short when they're inevitably knocked out int he tournament proper. but the manager has to help release one of that pressure they feel when they put on an england shirt. what does he do? starts two defensive midfielders at home against slovenia, or whatever shower it was we were up against last night. 

at least pick a central midfielder capable of passing the ball forwards. shelvey should be considered for one of those spots, if he can sort out the stupid side of his game. you don't need henderson and dier in there against the average teams, surely. 

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

It made me think of watching the match when England beat Hungary at a packed Wembley to secure World Cup qualification for Espana 82. I know there was much, much less football on TV then and that England hadn't qualified for a World Cup since 1970 but the difference in the interest in that match compared with the one last night was staggering. There were about 10 of my Dad's mates round watching it and everybody jumped up and cheered when Paul Mariner scored the game's only goal early in the first half. No one seems to give a shit now.

Also, following on from what you two were saying, the annoying thing is that (while I'm not suggesting for a moment we should be winning the World Cup) we should have the makings of a pretty exciting young team.

i remember england qualifying with beckham's last minute free kick - was it against greece? - and reacting in the same way. i didn't even realise last night's game was on until i read the match report. 

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

Euro 96 was my first real tournament in terms of really being old enough to care, and I remember going through all the emotions against Germany, I remember being heartbroken that we went out. I can even remember being ecstatic when Michael fucking Owen scored that goal against Argentina in '98. It all started going downhill after that for me. Never cared for the golden generation really, although I continued to watch them.

I finally stopped caring completely when I stayed up until 5am to watch England draw with Algeria in South Africa (was in China at the time). I was going through the motions at that point anyway and it made me realise that they don't deserve any support whatsoever. Even watching on the TV.

Edited by Rayvin

I managed 20 minutes last night and even then, I could see that this shitty arsed system that is getting passed from manager to manager doesn’t work with the players we have. Wingers that can’t cross, another winger put behind an isolated striker, no creativity, no vision in midfield, Henderson is graft but that’s about it. Full backs that bomb on for fun at their clubs, aimlessly pinging balls down the channel, the best striker in the country feeding off scraps, an undroppable keeper who seemingly can’t wait to make a mistake and a 50 million Centre Half that is as weak as a plate of piss. The team, in no way, uses any of the players in it as they would be used by their club, except for maybe the midfield 2. Possession football with absolutely no cutting edge. We won’t get out the group.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Euro 96 was my first real tournament in terms of really being old enough to care, and I remember going through all the emotions against Germany, I remember being heartbroken that we went out. I can even remember being ecstatic when Michael fucking Owen scored that goal against Argentina in '98. It all started going downhill after that for me. Never cared for the golden generation really, although I continued to watch them.

I finally stopped caring completely when I stayed up until 5am to watch England draw with Algeria in South Africa (was in China at the time). I was going through the motions at that point anyway and it made me realise that they don't deserve any support whatsoever. Even watching on the TV.

even the sven era doesn't look bad compared to now

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

I can barely even remember watching that game yet I know I did. Says it all really.

Look at the last World Cup. It was, especially in the group stages, a feast of exciting, pacey, attractive football and England were still knocking it about at a snails pace. There’s no difference in the tempo from qualifiers to tournaments; fair enough in the qualifiers, you just have to do a job but you’d think the application and urgency would step up a notch in the World Cup of all things.

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i remember england qualifying with beckham's last minute free kick - was it against greece? - and reacting in the same way. i didn't even realise last night's game was on until i read the match report. 

Aye. It was Greece. It was actually the side that Rehhagel (sp?) had just taken over and went on to win Euro 2004 a couple of years later. Beckham's free-kick was an equaliser and we only qualified because Germany were held to a 0-0 draw in (I think) Finland. They got through via a play-off.

The press raved about Beckham but I watched the whole game again as it was repeated on the Sunday morning. He did take the game by the scruff of the neck but only in the last 25 mins or so at home against a side that were well organised but not exactly amazing. It was also about his 5th or 6th free-kick from a good position and the others were fucking dog shit. I like Beckham as well, it's just funny how the press blow things out of proportion. He'd have been slated along with the rest of the side had Germany won 1-0.

10 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Look at the last World Cup. It was, especially in the group stages, a feast of exciting, pacey, attractive football and England were still knocking it about at a snails pace. There’s no difference in the tempo from qualifiers to tournaments; fair enough in the qualifiers, you just have to do a job but you’d think the application and urgency would step up a notch in the World Cup of all things.

I honestly only watched the match (and even then only the first half) because I let my eldest laddie stay up and watch it because he likes football. Even he was bored to tears after about 10 minutes

They also keep banging on about the pressure that England players have on them, but does anyone actually put pressure on them apart from some papers? They were fucking shite at the last World Cup as AH mentioned, it was as if they weren’t even arsed. 

The funny thing is England have a canny crop of talent at the minute, not saying it’s good enough to win a tournament but definitely enough to play some good footy and do okay. They take that talent and hand it to managers like Southgate and Hodgson for fuck sake, it’s unbelievable. We could at least be enjoying the games, instead I’m the same as all you lot mentioned the first I knew about England playing was seeing people moaning about how shite England are on Facebook. 

Edited by Howay

Honestly can't remember the last time I actually watched an England game throughout. 

It's so divorced from the game I know and love now. I'd genuinely rather watch a lower league game on tv, than the shit England offer up. Not just the tactics, or the players, but christ the Fans are awful pricks. 

21 hours ago, Alex said:

Well they do say incest is a game for all the family

Oh wow...who's the nutter for thinking my silly comment to Fish implied incest?  :lol: 

You assumed everyone celebrates Christmas like you do? With mom and dad and family all day long?  There are millions of us around the world that don't do it that way.