Brighton v Newcastle 24/09/2017

The Fish

Score?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I think we deserved a draw. I'm not too discouraged by the performance. I think shelvey did enough to warrant a recall as did Gayle. We looked much better after they came on, though admittedly Brighton were sitting back more, defending their lead by then. 

Bringing on gamez instead of Murphy was an odd one.

Gamez looked all right when he came on and played as a wing back as we were so far forward. 

Agree that a draw would have been fair and had Joselu put away his chance or Ritchie not had an off game it probably would have ended 1-1.

We're not going to "win" anything through the league, but I don't think we will realistically get relegated if Rafa stays. I'd like to think by new year we can feel safe and let Rafa have a clear run at the cup. 

Edited by Renton

Well now, I said the game was winnable but I didn't mean by them.

I would say that for about 60 minutes in total they out-played, out-fought, and out-scored us and deserved the win.

My suggested line-up had Merino and Shelvey in it and when Shelvey came on it looked like it would work.

I suggested Gamez too, and he made a difference when he came on.

Last 15 minutes it looked like we might pull off a draw or even a win but it wasn't to be.

Still can't believe why Perez is playing 90 minutes.

Their goal was piss-poor, Elliot and 3 defenders were breathing down the scorer's neck.

Perez is a waste of a shirt right now. He's been the one player who has disappointed this season, along with shelvey, but because of his contribution rather than stupidity and petulance in shelvey' case.

It's crazy that we didn't get a new number 10. I'd look to reshuffle the midfield so Perez drops to the bench, or try Gayle alongside Joselu, but there's no chance Rafa will do that.

Didn't threaten their goal at all and didn't look like winning and in the end didn't deserve anything out the game. Poor performance, Perez, Joselu were particularly bad and Atsu, Ritchie, Hayden etc weren't too far behind.

Gayle and Shelvey should be starting against Liverpool next weekend.

I've not read any of this thread/this place nor seen any coverage but, having been there, I thought we deserved a point and I certainly didn't think they'd done enough to take all 3. Merino was the best player on the pitch, first half in particular. Everything went through him. If anything, Brighton seemed to out-Rafa us, in that they were compact, organised and very deep. The ball from Merino to Shelvey around the 83 minute mark which was phenomenal. Indicating that Merino will find him if they're playing together. I thought Perez was awful first half and Joselu may need a spell out of the side too. Gayle would've had two today. Atsu had Bruno on toast in the 1st half so should have been used more and more.

Gayle is obviously a better finisher but doesn't seem to get as many chances. Bit of a conundrum, I'd probably persevere with Joselu next week but if he carries on shitting-out then drop him. Mitrovic available next game, wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't even make the bench though.

Matter of time before our bubble was burst but I didn't think the prick would be in Brighton.

Thought maybe it would be next week against Liverpool as they have a lot of pricks.

It's early I know but there's always a glow when you win 3 in a row and the next game is against a lower in the table team.

No goal-line save,  winning goal,  or brilliant performance  from Lascelles today so .......................................maybe Lejeune should start against the Scouse gits.

• Like 1

Weird how people see the same game differently.

I didn't think we were terrible today, we could easily have got a point. Thought Ritchie and Hayden were poor and atsu disappeared second half. Only conceded because mbemba got blocked (stupidly) off on the free kick that lascelles shouldn't have given away.

we will stop up with plenty of room to spare tbh, and that's a successful season imo.

1 hour ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Gayle is obviously a better finisher but doesn't seem to get as many chances. Bit of a conundrum, I'd probably persevere with Joselu next week but if he carries on shitting-out then drop him. Mitrovic available next game, wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't even make the bench though.

Very different players for me. Joselu tends to play with his back to goal, whereas Gayle loves running on to balls facing goal. Gayle is more like sheared pre his major injury, whereas joselu (and Mitrovic for that matter) play like him after the injury. NOT that any of them are 1/10 th shearer of course. Anyway, point being these strikers arent interchangeable, and aren't that good really. 

I'll be amazed if we see another number 9 as good as shearer, Ferdinand, or Cole at the club in my lifetime tbh. And we still won fuck all even with them... 

11 minutes ago, Renton said:

Very different players for me. Joselu tends to play with his back to goal, whereas Gayle loves running on to balls facing goal. Gayle is more like sheared pre his major injury, whereas joselu (and Mitrovic for that matter) play like him after the injury. NOT that any of them are 1/10 th shearer of course. Anyway, point being these strikers arent interchangeable, and aren't that good really. 

I'll be amazed if we see another number 9 as good as shearer, Ferdinand, or Cole at the club in my lifetime tbh. And we still won fuck all even with them... 

This for me we're still missing THAT striker 

We got beat. We move on. Tight game and either team would have been unfortunate to lose it. 

I'd like to see a midfield 3 with Shelvey instead of Perez and have Merino in a free'er role than he's playing now. 

Gayle had 2 tough games against Spurs and Huddersfield earlier in the season and was fed scraps. Give him a chance next week at home vs Liverpool and he'll bag one or two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noelie said:

Matter of time before our bubble was burst but I didn't think the prick would be in Brighton.

Thought maybe it would be next week against Liverpool as they have a lot of pricks.

It's early I know but there's always a glow when you win 3 in a row and the next game is against a lower in the table team.

No goal-line save,  winning goal,  or brilliant performance  from Lascelles today so .......................................maybe Lejeune should start against the Scouse gits.

So if Lascelles doesn't put in a match winning performance then he should be dropped for a player who is currently injured? 

No wonder they say that football fans are fickle.

2 hours ago, Lackie92 said:

Didn't threaten their goal at all and didn't look like winning and in the end didn't deserve anything out the game. Poor performance, Perez, Joselu were particularly bad and Atsu, Ritchie, Hayden etc weren't too far behind.

Gayle and Shelvey should be starting against Liverpool next weekend.

We had a few chances. Joselu should have scored in the first half. Gayle had a good chance but scuffed his shot, Ritchie dragged one wide in a good position, shelvey hit the post from a corner. That's just off the top of my head. 

We're creating opportunities every game but we didn't invest in finishers so we are going to lose some of these tight games. I'd be more worried if we weren't making chances.

Had a quick chat with Chi Onwurah at full time, she was stood with one if the most obsessive and frankly annoying NUFC supporters I've ever met, don't know if he's a Labour Party activist or not, if not she appeared to be there on her own. She said the atmosphere was better than at the conference. She came across as very nice and down to earth. 

We were shit. Possibly deserved a point, blatant pen when Shelvey was assaulted in the box. One glibly smug south coaster  said he'd rather have three points in the premier league than the six we got off them in the championship. That might explain why they were acting like they'd won the fuckin champions league at full time :huh:  

Have to say I’m really impressed with Lascelles this season, he committed a daft foul but overall had another solid game. If he can keep this up and continue to improve we’d have three canny CB’s for the first time in fucking donkeys years, as Clark looks solid in this league, and Lejuene looked talented in his, albeit short, debut. Just want to draw attention to the lad since I have been critical of him. 

Couldn't get a river for this game so can't comment on the game itself.  I did see earlier in the thread where someone said Joselu missed a couple of chances again today. Were they clear-cut or half chances?

After Liverpool at home, we have a run of games until Nov. 4rth where we can pick up some serious points.