Brighton v Newcastle 24/09/2017

The Fish

Score?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Makes you wonder if playing 2 up top might be the answer. Gayle doesn't look cut out for leading the line on his own in this system at this level. But playing off a bruiser like Mitro or Joselu he might get himself into the right positions. And he's far and away the best goalscorer we've got.

• Like 1

It might be the answer but I don't think the manager would go for it. I think it would certainly be worth a go against the 'lesser' sides, especially at home. Think you'd get overrun against the likes of Chelsea.

Rafa won't play 2 up front because he believes the formation we have best covers us for where we need to have players.  If he moves one of those players to play an extra forward it will take a player from the position he wants them to be in and we will be short.  He might do it for spells if we are a goal down and thinks it worth risking us defensively for an extra forward but I don't see him ever starting with a different formation to what he's played every game for the last two seasons.

Personally I don't think swapping an ineffective number 10 for a potentially effective number 9 weakens us defensively but my opinion counts for nothing to Rafa.

On 26/09/2017 at 8:27 AM, ewerk said:

To me it was blatant but if there's any chance he might get away with it (and there is) then a manager will defend his player, that's how it works.

Anyway, he's been charged with violent conduct.

Three match ban after he lost his appeal.   

Think this game/result has a correlation to last season, in which we struggle to break the shite teams down when we need to. Hence the losses to absolute garbage like Blackburn home and away, Wolves at home, Ipswich away et cetera. We'll do better against the better sides: against Tottenham we restricted them to absolutely nothing before the red card and I'm confident that if Shelvey had not been a petulant wanker we would've gotten a point at the very least from that game.

9 hours ago, Tdansmith said:

Three match ban after he lost his appeal.   

Chuffed to hear that, as AH said it has no impact on us but that rotten cunt deserved punished for his clear and nasty attempt to hurt Yedlin.