Freddy Shepherd

Tom

Just now, ewerk said:

RIP. 

Not a flawless character but did a huge amount for our club.

Aye, loveable rogue tbh. Especially in retrospect. RIP.

Btw, I bet Leazes takes is on Twitter using this to have a pop at Toontastic and proclaiming he was right.

Aye RIP Freddy along with Sir John you had a vision of what the club should have been like.  Along with Keegan brought many happy days & nights not only at SJP but all over the country. Regardless of whatever went on afterwards we thank you for that. RIP

Not convinced his and Hall's ideas for the club were for reasons other than to benefit themselves, but they did know that something could be made of the club and they tried to make it happen.  Which is a damn sight more than any of the other owners we've had in my lifetime have done.

RIP

He definitely made a lot of mistakes like. Ashley being worse doesn't mean we didn't have to put up with a lot of shite.

However among all the praise for signing Shearer & nearly winning the league etc.....A Glenn Roeder side finished in the European spots. That's a LOT of trophy signings.

15 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Not convinced his and Hall's ideas for the club were for reasons other than to benefit themselves, but they did know that something could be made of the club and they tried to make it happen.  Which is a damn sight more than any of the other owners we've had in my lifetime have done.

RIP

Aye, agree with this. I do think that, post-Bobby, Shepherd genuinely thought that the Owen signings, Allardyce appointments etc were the right way to get the club back, even though it was haemorrhaging cash. 

Was using us to make money but loved the club. That's the difference between him and Ashley. 

Sir John Hall dared to dream, Freddie & Douglas were all about making us a cash-cow first and successful second in my opinion.

Plus points? He brought SBR to SJP. 

Minus points? He sacked SBR waay too hastily. 

22 minutes ago, Tom said:

He definitely made a lot of mistakes like. Ashley being worse doesn't mean we didn't have to put up with a lot of shite.

However among all the praise for signing Shearer & nearly winning the league etc.....A Glenn Roeder side finished in the European spots. That's a LOT of trophy signings.

Man, I'd kill for some trophy signings these days.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Btw, I bet Leazes takes is on Twitter using this to have a pop at Toontastic and proclaiming he was right.

Wasn't LM Prince Adam to Freddie's He-Man? He'll have croaked it with him, man...

Just now, Craig said:

Wasn't LM Prince Adam to Freddie's He-Man? He'll have croaked it with him, man...

If he increments the number of years he's been going to the match by 1 on his birthday, we'll know he's still alive.

1 minute ago, Alex said:

If he increments the number of years he's been going to the match by 1 on his birthday, we'll know he's still alive.

:lol:

What do you mean 'if'? 

5 minutes ago, Craig said:

Was using us to make money but loved the club. That's the difference between him and Ashley. 

Sir John Hall dared to dream, Freddie & Douglas were all about making us a cash-cow first and successful second in my opinion.

Plus points? He brought SBR to SJP. 

Minus points? He sacked SBR waay too hastily. 

The way in which Sir Bobby was treated towards the end tarnished what Shepherd did for the club for me.

I was pleased he went as chairman as the club needing improving and Shepherd's techniques were costing the club money but not costing him personally. Obviously the bloke was ambitious and helped put NUFC on the map again and I'd never underestimate the drive he showed and of course when compared to the fucking horror show who followed you could get quite nostalgic about him. He had his flaws 100%, he made some serious cash off the back of NUFC but he wanted us up there going for it which is more than you can say about the FCB. 

RIP

45 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

RIP

Aye, this. He was taking more money out of the club than he deserved but you sensed he at least cared about results and wanted us to compete at the right end of the table. I was never his biggest fan, some of his decision making was bonkers at times, but at least he gave a shit. The decade we've had to endure since he left paints him in a better light than he perhaps deserves. 

Still, he was a funny fucker and he oversaw some of the most entertaining newcastle teams in my lifetime. 

RIP