Newcastle vs Liverpool

LooneyToony

Goals Newcastle Score  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Would have gladly taken a score draw before the game, on the balance of play we've nicked a point. Yedlin excellent for us.

• Like 1

It still feels weird for me to see a Newcastle team defend so well. We’re fantastically organised and again restricted a very good team to very few chances. 

Side note: there is no way Joselu was going to score without Matip’s intervention. :D

Normally at 1-1 against a better team I get bed-wettingly nervous as the game goes on, but I just didn’t get quite as terrified yesterday. The way Benitez sets us up kept Liverpool to quite difficult chances, which has been a theme in every match we’ve played; let the opposition have the ball as long as it’s nowhere dangerous. Part of that was made easier by Liverpool’s apparent struggles up front, but mostly it was our resolute defence. Coutinho’s goal was top class and people have been saying that there’s little we could have done differently, maybe closed him down quicker, maybe Elliott could have second guessed he’d be going near post? That chance came from Lascelles and then Ritchie not clearing our lines properly

That aside (and aside from a couple of slips, Clark again) I thought we matched their brilliant forwards manfully. I can’t remember Mane having a real chance all game, and Salah didn’t get much joy out of a left back that none of us were particularly excited about in pre-season. That’s not because Salah came up against a good defender, it’s because Liverpool came up against a good defence.

Special mention has to go to Yedlin, he was brilliant yesterday. When he was caught out of position his unbelievable pace gets him out of trouble and there were a couple of times when they broke that he covered twice the ground as our centrebacks in half the time. He was a real threat going forward too, and if he and Ritchie can get onto the same page even more I look forward to the damage they can do to lesser teams. There was one passage of play in particular where, if Ritchie had left Shelvey’s through ball, Yedlin would have been clear in the box ready for a pull back to Ritchie, Shelvey, Joselu or Perez.

Merino and Shelvey looked good in the centre, and against lesser sides they’ll get a lot of joy. Merino seemed to start a bit nervous, but only grew into the game as it wore on. Shelvey’s passing is a joy to watch, but he worked hard today. Can’t say I’m expecting him to keep that up though.

Joselu battled manfully all game, and did well to time his run and get his chance. Hopefully that’ll give him some confidence?

Perez works really hard and kept Wijnaldum and Henderson’s influence to a minimum which was vital to the gameplan imo, he had a few decent flicks and touches too. Biggest issue is that he doesn’t really offer a goal threat at the minute, and he’s not picking the right final ball.

The next two fixtures are different challenges, but challenges I think our two in the middle will enjoy in particular. We’ve got Southampton and Palace after the international break, and I’d stick with the same team for them if all stay fit. Maybe swap Lejeune in for Clark.

Southampton are struggling to score, they’ve only got 5 in 7 in the league so far, and 3 of those came in their game against West Ham. They’ve only scored twice in five fixtures, and five fixtures against pretty average Premier League sides teams (Man Utd aside). I’d fancy our defence to keep them out if they maintain their focus. The concern will be whether or not we can find the back of the net.

I don’t think that will be a problem against Palace. :lol:

5 points from these 3 fixtures is a very good return.

I really don't get where you can pick up anything to praise Perez about.  Apart from just before he got taken of and he actually seemed to wake up to the fact that he has to actually sprint and put his body into challenges.  If he did that regularly I might be able to forgive the fact that every time the ball goes near him the move breaks down.  I really don't see what we could possibly lose by playing Gayle instead of him.  If nothing else he'd be a threat in the box and his extra pace would trouble defences.  Personally I think we should have had Hayden on for him yesterday.  I think taking Merino off for Hayden was a mistake as we couldn't keep the ball once this change was made.  If we'd took Perez off instead it might have looked on paper like a more defensive move, but it would have actually stopped us from dropping so far back and helped us retain possession.

At the moment it's playing against 12 men and we're just about getting away with it.  But if we want to stay up this end of the table, we're going to have do something about Perez.

Anyway I still think that was a good result against a team who have well over a £100m of attacking players.  Yes they might have had more of the play but they rarely troubled us apart from lucky bounces leading to counter attacks or sliced clearances.  I thought all of the back four were excellent and Yedlin in particular deserves to be singled out for praise.  I think it was the first time I realised just how fast he actually is.  Shelvey and Merino were also both very good and if the continue like that will dominate lesser teams.  And once again Ritchie's worth ethic alone makes him just about our most important player.

I didn't even notice wijnaldum was playing. Great performance from us I thought, our defence has come on immeasurably and all the players seem to be willing to bust a gut. Especially Ritchie, he never stopped throughout the match. Going to the match is enjoyable again. :nufc:

Edited by Renton

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Our next game is on Sky too :lol:

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Our next game is on Sky too :lol:

Good Lord, it's contagious.  

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Rafa when he saw the flag they put on for him - 

:) 

“We will follow you everywhere, we’ll always have your back. In spite of the lies they tell us, we’ll never doubt you. We are with you.” 

i2u5qe.jpg

In spite of the lies they tell us, we’ll never doubt you

Is it just me or anyone else feel like it would have been better without this bit?  Implying anything management cheapens it a bit for me.  Honouring just Rafa and nothing else would have been better, imo.

He's useful to combat more physical sides like Stoke, West Ham, Brighton, but perhaps being out of his normal position would be laid bare by more ... technical sides? 

Dunno.