Plumbing problems

LooneyToony

Oh yes, the problem. :D

This morning after a shower I noticed that there was dirt and water around the drain in the basement. Wasn't sure what the source was just yet so I turned on the nearest faucet and sure enough water started coming up the drain.  Tried this with all the faucets and the shower to confirm that water was coming up only when using the internal plumbing, this did not happen when turning on the faucets outside.   

So, tomorrow morning a plumber will show up to inspect the situation and I just want to make sure that I don't get taken to the cleaners with his diagnosis of the problem.  

Oh, yesterday it was our Canadian Thanksgiving and we had my Grandfather over who has dementia.  He has been known to fill my mom's toilet with paper and on a couple of occasions flushed his underwear in there as well, which of course caused a bit of a backup.   So, one of our suspicions is that he heaved a whole bunch of paper in the loo, but there wasn't any evidence of this yesterday at all.

Tomorrow the big bad plumber will come.  Anyone experience something like this and is it what we expect that it's a blocked water pipe somewhere?  And if it is, can I fix it myself?

4 hours ago, LooneyToony said:

This morning after a shower I noticed that there was dirt and water around the drain in the basement. Wasn't sure what the source was just yet so I turned on the nearest faucet and sure enough water started coming up the drain.  Tried this with all the faucets and the shower to confirm that water was coming up only when using the internal plumbing, this did not happen when turning on the faucets outside.   

So, tomorrow morning a plumber will show up to inspect the situation and I just want to make sure that I don't get taken to the cleaners with his diagnosis of the problem.  

Oh, yesterday it was our Canadian Thanksgiving and we had my Grandfather over who has dementia.  He has been known to fill my mom's toilet with paper and on a couple of occasions flushed his underwear in there as well, which of course caused a bit of a backup.   So, one of our suspicions is that he heaved a whole bunch of paper in the loo, but there wasn't any evidence of this yesterday at all.

Tomorrow the big bad plumber will come.  Anyone experience something like this and is it what we expect that it's a blocked water pipe somewhere?  And if it is, can I fix it myself?

I'd like to help you if I can but I've no fucking idea what you're talking about? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I'd like to help you if I can but I've no fucking idea what you're talking about? 

By "faucet" he means tap. :good:

5 hours ago, LooneyToony said:

Still need to work on your delivery. And content.

4 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

I assumed it wasn't Farrah, tbf. :D

Not sure why about the basement bit, either?

We live in a small bungalow.  All homes to my knowledge have a drain somewhere,  ours is in the basement where the washer and dryer are.

Do you people not know how to use google translate?  I use it all the time to decipher y'all's posts. B)

3 minutes ago, LooneyToony said:

We live in a small bungalow.  All homes to my knowledge have a drain somewhere,  ours is in the basement where the washer and dryer are.

Do you people not know how to use google translate?  I use it all the time to decipher y'all's posts. B)

Sometimes a length of hose pipe is useful for ramming down the drain to shift the blockage. (Ideally invest in a set of drain rods about £20 here).

19 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Sometimes a length of hose pipe is useful for ramming down the drain to shift the blockage. (Ideally invest in a set of drain rods about £20 here).

Ah, a draining rod. Nice.  Yeah, I was thinking a snake/auger might help, but I'm not positive what the problem is so we'll see what the plumber says.

Good news everyone! Yup, it was grandad.  So my plumber found a large wad of toilet paper collecting where our backwater valve is (thank goodness we have one).  And here we thought Grandpa was doing #2 on Thanksgiving Day. 

Cheers!

hilarious_toilet_shaped_mug_cup_11.jpg?x

20 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

You sound like a sensitive lover.