Southampton vs Newcastle

LooneyToony

How many goals will Newcastle score?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Anyone else agree that we're playing much better than last season despite not wining as much? We just look so solid and assured at this level. Agree with Renton. I've seen enough to confidently predict we'll be nowhere near the relegation scrap.

Some of us knew this before a ball was kicked tbf ;)

Decent away performance. I'll take a draw but shame about the pen.

Perez chases down players non stop, can't fault his work effort. He sometimes needs more composure when it matters, but that was a good goal for his effort today.

I found myself shouting at Gayle to close down their defenders while they were playing in possession around their half.. Perez and Joselu were doing it every time.

10 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Anyone else agree that we're playing much better than last season despite not wining as much? We just look so solid and assured at this level. Agree with Renton. I've seen enough to confidently predict we'll be nowhere near the relegation scrap.

Well obviously we're playing much better opposition, but aye. Our defence is the best it has been in a decade, maybe longer. And we have reserves on defence too., literally. Obviously we lack a top quality number 9 and 10 but who doesn't?

Going to matches is genuinely pleasurable again. All good. 

I don't think I've ever seen a Newcastle defence this good (as a unit at least).  Woodgate was obviously a superior defender for that week of his career he was actually fit.

Just now, TheGingerQuiff said:

He'll win us a trophy if he gets some money

Agreed, not even that much money either. I think benitez gets that winning us the FA cup would be, to the fans, at least as good as Liverpool winning the CL. I really hope that's his aim. 

Also surely this should hammer home to Ashley the importance of managerial appointments and paying for them. Employing pricks like Kinnear was such a false economy. Pardew as well. 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Well obviously we're playing much better opposition, but aye. Our defence is the best it has been in a decade, maybe longer. And we have reserves on defence too., literally. Obviously we lack a top quality number 9 and 10 but who doesn't?

Going to matches is genuinely pleasurable again. All good. 

We just look more comfortable at this level despite going up against better opposition. Rafa's system seems to work better when we're underdogs. Genuinely think we were unlucky not to pick up all three points today. It was one rash challenge that cost us.

I thought Atsu had a good game today mind, agree on Murphy it’s early days still but he doesn’t look like he has much about him. there was one phase of play where he went to beat his man and it was so half hearted it looked like he didn’t even think he could beat him. 

6 hours ago, Howay said:

Finish the season with the MAG strike force of Messi, Aubemeyang, and Greizmann

Dude, that is totally pie in the sky thinking. More likely PSG's Mpappe with Las Palmas AM Jonathan Viera come January.  :nufc:

22 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

I think people just want to see more end product, even more so because we haven't got a prolific striker so could do with #10 chipping in more

Called it.

13 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Not necessarily disagreeing, but do you reckon the quality of opposition is influencing your opinion?

16 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Not necessarily disagreeing, but do you reckon the quality of opposition is influencing your opinion?

No, I remember us winning unconvincingly last time around, often looking ragged in possession like we were feeling the pressure of being favourites to win every game. We just look comfortable now, despite playing a low possession game. When we did have the ball we passed it around neatly and looked to move it forward at every opportunity.

We've been impressive in every game since the first couple. Even the Brighton loss I thought we were unlucky not to walk away with something. I think the players are starting to believe they belong at this level. Amazing to see how they've stepped up after how gloomy we were all feeling after the window shut. 

15 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

No, I remember us winning unconvincingly last time around, often looking ragged in possession like we were feeling the pressure of being favourites to win every game. We just look comfortable now, despite playing a low possession game. When we did have the ball we passed it around neatly and looked to move it forward at every opportunity.

We've been impressive in every game since the first couple. Even the Brighton loss I thought we were unlucky not to walk away with something. I think the players are starting to believe they belong at this level. Amazing to see how they've stepped up after how gloomy we were all feeling after the window shut. 

Fair enough.

Echo what others are saying, but I can't remember that last time I saw a Newcastle team this organised, this well drilled with or without the ball. they all know their jobs and while the player's ability might be a limiting factor, the coaching and strategy definitely isn't. always feels like there's a plan. 

Bringing on Gayle makes sense as the game was becoming stretched, Perez was getting tired, so if we've got three players in the centre we mitigate the lack of pressing from Perez and given Merino and Shelvey's eye for a pass we would look to put balls into the channels for Atsu/Murphy, Gayle and the Yo-yo at rightback. (Unfortunately Gayle was crocked so we were playing the last 10 minutes or so with no outlet.)

Thing is, despite drawing the game, you can look at how it panned out and see the plan was sound. Pardew throwing on a leftback on 65 minutes was evidence that there was never a plan.

10 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Decent result, and more encouraging signs. Edging closer to January where Daddy Warbucks can perhaps spend £500m on ridiculous players and allow Rafa to deliver us the title.

B)