Southampton vs Newcastle

LooneyToony

How many goals will Newcastle score?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Really pleased with how we're playing and a good point on the face of it. Did anyone notice Sky's stats where we were bottom or 19th in a bunch of passing statistics. Roundly ignoring that they all pertained in some way to how many passes we'd made and possession. We're a counter attacking team and look bloody good at it. I don't hear many people moaning at how Mourinho takes his team to Anfield, parks the bus and gets a point.

I can't help but feel a bit disappointed we didn't get the win though, and I think Rafa will feel the same. They didn't really threaten much at all in terms of creating clear-cut opportunities. Just got to have us drilled and ready for Palace next week, cos with Zaha back and Townsend playing better on the other wing they look a much better team.

1 hour ago, rogerbarton said:

Really pleased with how we're playing and a good point on the face of it. Did anyone notice Sky's stats where we were bottom or 19th in a bunch of passing statistics. Roundly ignoring that they all pertained in some way to how many passes we'd made and possession. We're a counter attacking team and look bloody good at it. I don't hear many people moaning at how Mourinho takes his team to Anfield, parks the bus and gets a point.

I can't help but feel a bit disappointed we didn't get the win though, and I think Rafa will feel the same. They didn't really threaten much at all in terms of creating clear-cut opportunities. Just got to have us drilled and ready for Palace next week, cos with Zaha back and Townsend playing better on the other wing they look a much better team.

To be fair, and not to be ornery, plenty of people were moaning about Mourinho parking the bus at Anfield.

I personally don't have a problem with it, it makes sense to deny your rivals points and go for wins where it's more likely. Against an attacking, if profligate, team like Liverpool, I totally understand shutting up shop. The same people moaning about Mourinho altering his tactics to nullify their threat would have been moaning about when Wenger turned up at Anfield looking to play expansive football and were torn apart.

I haven't seen any of the Palace game against Chelsea, were they much improved, or was it a case of one of the match winners turning up for a change?

24 minutes ago, The Fish said:

To be fair, and not to be ornery, plenty of people were moaning about Mourinho parking the bus at Anfield.

I personally don't have a problem with it, it makes sense to deny your rivals points and go for wins where it's more likely. Against an attacking, if profligate, team like Liverpool, I totally understand shutting up shop. The same people moaning about Mourinho altering his tactics to nullify their threat would have been moaning about when Wenger turned up at Anfield looking to play expansive football and were torn apart.

I haven't seen any of the Palace game against Chelsea, were they much improved, or was it a case of one of the match winners turning up for a change?

There's a happy medium though. Man Utd with the side they have going up against an ordinary Liverpool team who are struggling to defend and he doesn't even try and win the match? There's some justification in the moaning like. And he's a monumental cunt, of course

1 hour ago, Alex said:

There's a happy medium though. Man Utd with the side they have going up against an ordinary Liverpool team who are struggling to defend and he doesn't even try and win the match? There's some justification in the moaning like. And he's a monumental cunt, of course

Aye, another manager would have gone for the win, especially against this Liverpool team at the minute. Guardiola definitely wouldn't have parked the bus, Even Conte would have set up defensively, but similar to Benitez it would have been a means to an end. trying to make the most of set pieces and counter attacks. Mourinho just loves ruining a game against a "big" club. 

3 hours ago, The Fish said:

Actually Palace looked quite good albeit Chelsea weren't at their best. It was a well deserved win and got me worrying a bit about next Saturday.

15 hours ago, The Fish said:

I think it was more a case of their only match winner not being injured.

4 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

I think it was more a case of their only match winner not being injured.

Dunno about that, Benteke, Townsend, Cabaye are all players who can score from pretty much nothing.

The Pardew match that exemplified his tactics was Wolves at home in the year we actually finished 5th. We'd been on a great run and against a team well on their way down. Took an early 2 goal lead, but spent the rest of the game knocking it back to Krul who'd boot it upfield to Papiss Cisse who'd lose the header every single time. Needless to say, we threw away the 2 goal lead and drew 2-2.

19 minutes ago, rogerbarton said:

The Pardew match that exemplified his tactics was Wolves at home in the year we actually finished 5th. We'd been on a great run and against a team well on their way down. Took an early 2 goal lead, but spent the rest of the game knocking it back to Krul who'd boot it upfield to Papiss Cisse who'd lose the header every single time. Needless to say, we threw away the 2 goal lead and drew 2-2.

Iirc we also were lucky to draw, did they not have a decent penalty shout turned down?