Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

10 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Surely the conspiracy theory is that Staveley leaked it to show Liverpool that she’s serious? I don’t see what Ashley has to gain by leaking it.

To flush out another potentially more ridiculously profligate bidder? :cuppa: 

I don’t know if she’s serious or if she’s giving us the eyes to get a reaction from Liverpool. 

But by going in with a bid she knows Ashley will reject and make public, her interest (real or not) remains in the headlines. If Liverpool owners are wavering and think she might be about to prepare another bid they might reopen dialogue.

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Without wanting to be a doom merchant, a reporter I know down here is used to cover sport reckons this is a facade and she’s using it to turn heads at Liverpool, which remains her real target. 

Hope hes wrong but like so many others, I’m waiting for Jimbo’s telly before I believe anything. 

Is this lad a Liverpool supporter?...  

I’m just not sure how it’s meant to convince anyone at Liverpool of anything, they’d want a bid 3-4 times that. 

Her placing a bid, knowing Ashley would leak it in order to convince the owners of Liverpool to sell seems needlessly convoluted.

2 minutes ago, Howay said:

I’m just not sure how it’s meant to convince anyone at Liverpool of anything, they’d want a bid 3-4 times that. 

Her placing a bid, knowing Ashley would leak it in order to convince the owners of Liverpool to sell seems needlessly convoluted.

Tbf to the former sport hack I spoke to, he gave me his story this morning. The last bit I added in the light of the bid. He said it’s just what he’s heard but he’s not 100%. Her interest could be genuine.

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

To flush out another potentially more ridiculously profligate bidder? :cuppa: 

That's the only scenario that makes sense to me. Create a bit of competition etc.

Tbf, we don't know much about PCP/Stavely or her backers. However we  do know quite a bit about Mike fucking Ashley, his ways, his cohorts, his paid lackeys, his contacts at SKY, (hint, hint), Keith (if you had a part in allo allo, no matter how small, he's your man) Bishop, etc, etc. If I had to hazard a guess, I'm saying this is all on Ashley. Or, could be they're playing him at his own game and taking the piss by using his go-to media outlet? :lol:

The bid is just too low to make sense IMO. We have known they value the club at around £300m, and that Ashley values it at nearer £400m, for weeks. What use does formally recognising their position in a bid of the same value offer? Why not just continue talking with Ashley until a figure is agreed and then bid that?

Making a bid they know will be rejected public, whoever is responsible for revealing it, probably has less to do with any actual attempt to buy the club, and more to do with some kind of brinkmanship. It could be Ashley revealing it to keep fans on side. It could be Stavely trying to turn fans against Ashley when he rejects, and therefore increasing the pressure on him to accept the next bid (though she doesn't know him well if that is the strategy). It's not likely to be "this bid has a realistic chance of being accepted" though.

Edited by Rayvin

Ashley made his intention to sell very public. Staveley did the same with her appearance against Liverpool. It was clear from the start that this takeover was not going to be a discreet one. Could be that neither party is interested in going to lengths to keep things secret rather than there being some clever ploy in play. 

Its sort of the way things are being done these days in football as well. Players transfer sagas and all. We're apparently only valued a little over Neymar after all :lol:

11 minutes ago, ewerk said:

You make an opening bid. It's how negotiations work.

Well we'll see. I've not been involved in any negotiations that involve pointlessly lowballed opening bids, but maybe Stavely likes wasting her time, who knows.

He wants £380m, she's offered under £300m. It isn't pointlessly low but it allows her to test his resolve and gives her room to up her offer. 

I negotiate million dollar deals for breakfast.

3 minutes ago, trooper said:

Mark Douglas ...

Right, I'm on the morning blog. Come and join me... Reports claim #nufc bid is "take it or leave it" 

:lol: If that's true, we're fucked. Although it would make sense given how low the offer is.

Edited by Rayvin

Just now, Rayvin said:

Does £300m at least cover what he spent on the club and the debt? If it does, then I suppose it would give him something to think about.

I believe his total investment stands at £278m. Given the complete and utter mismanagement of the club during his tenure he's lucky not to be walking away after making a huge loss.

Just now, ewerk said:

I believe his total investment stands at £278m. Given the complete and utter mismanagement of the club during his tenure he's lucky not to be walking away after making a huge loss.

So still a profit at least. Depends how badly he wants out, at the end of the day.

2 minutes ago, trooper said:

Mike Ashley was reported to be furious that the bid was claimed to be around £300m,  The claims are it was nowhere near that .

What...? As in it's lower or higher?

• Tom changed the title to Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official