Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

1 hour ago, Howay said:

That MP’s call to look into this has been rejected by the committee apparently. 

where did you hear/read/watch this?

30 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

the guy was an Islamist, antisemitic headcase

Eh? He was very much against Wahhabism and supporting Palestinian rights isn’t being anti Semitic.

6 hours ago, Tom said:

He’s been trying for this piracy meeting for over a year with no luck.

And once again he’s had no luck.

Total non story.

41 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Been reading about Jamal Khashoggi and the views and allegiances he held when he was alive. I would never advocate what happened to him happening to anyone, except for maybe rapists and paedo's, but the guy was an Islamist, antisemitic headcase, and it's very unlikely that his wife doesn't hold similar views. So yes, an authoritarian regime murdering a journalist is very, very bad, but the guy was more of an activist for Islamist ideology than he was a journalist, and certainly not as innocent as some would like you to believe. Of course this isn't to dismiss his wife's right to protest his killing, regardless of what abhorrent views she may hold, and he held when he was alive.

Sportswash me daddy 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Polarboy said:

Been reading about Jamal Khashoggi and the views and allegiances he held when he was alive. I would never advocate what happened to him happening to anyone, except for maybe rapists and paedo's, but the guy was an Islamist, antisemitic headcase, and it's very unlikely that his wife doesn't hold similar views. So yes, an authoritarian regime murdering a journalist is very, very bad, but the guy was more of an activist for Islamist ideology than he was a journalist, and certainly not as innocent as some would like you to believe. Of course this isn't to dismiss his wife's right to protest his killing, regardless of what abhorrent views she may hold, and he held when he was alive.

The old, “He didn’t deserve to be horrifically murdered BUT....”

This is virtually the opposite to the sides you two were taking over the Saudi v the US legal system a few weeks back :D 

Understandably so like, given how long it’s gone on / all the other shit going down at the same time 

14 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Eh? He was very much against Wahhabism and supporting Palestinian rights isn’t being anti Semitic.

He wanted the Saudi regime to be taken down, but his alternative was not a liberal democracy, albeit he may have wanted the Saudi public to vote in a Muslim Brotherhood type of political Islam, but those two things appear, to me at least, to be incompatible, as in democracy and the ideology of TMB. He had been a member of the Muslim Brotherhood in earlier life, supported their style of political Islam, and indeed was thought of as one of them by them even after he died. He was also friends with and worked with Azzam Tamimi, a British-Palestinian academic, on at least one political movement that sought to have an Islamist party elected in Algeria. Tamimi's known for extreme views including staunch support of Hamas, and stating that he supported suicide bombings, and indeed would blow himself up if he could get inside Israel. Khashoggi was also a close friend of Erdogan, as also written in NYT in another article, who advocated very strongly after his death for an investigation into his murder.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/14/world/middleeast/jamal-khashoggi-saudi-arabia.html

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Sportswash me daddy 

Maybe you're purely taking the piss, fair enough if you are, I can take it, but if you actually believe I'm in any way supportive of the Saudi regime you are wrong. I was merely pointing out that there was a deeper context to what was happening with his wife's letters, and indeed his actions when he was alive. There has been a widespread tendency to paint Khashoggi and his wife as morally pure in contrast to the Saudi regime. Now given that he was murdered you may say that whether he held morally despicable views is besides the point, but good journalism furnishes people with all the facts. It's not as if you can accuse the NYT's of right wing propaganda.

46 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

The old, “He didn’t deserve to be horrifically murdered BUT....”

The old, I'm going to assume any caveats you've written are bullshit with my mind reading ability.

Edited by Polarboy

10 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

:lol:
Not sure you’ll find too many Torygraph subscribers on here mate. 

don't hold this against me. but i have no idea the affiliations each paper have over there, they're all UK papers.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Maybe you're purely taking the piss, fair enough if you are, I can take it, but if you actually believe I'm in any way supportive of the Saudi regime you are wrong. I was merely pointing out that there was a deeper context to what was happening with his wife's letters, and indeed his actions when he was alive. There has been a widespread tendency to paint Khashoggi and his wife as morally pure in contrast to the Saudi regime. Now given that he was murdered you may say that whether he held morally despicable views is besides the point, but good journalism furnishes people with all the facts. It's not as if you can accuse the NYT's of right wing propaganda.

The old, I'm going to assume any caveats you've written are bullshit with my mind reading ability.

Don’t worry about it, I was purely taking the piss 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Polarboy said:

Now given that he was murdered you may say that whether he held morally despicable views is besides the point, but good journalism furnishes people with all the facts.

:lol:

If that's true, there are literally no good journalists.

• Haha 1

I think we can all agree Khashoggi’s murder was despicable. However if MBS was responsible, I don’t think preventing his sovereign wealth fund from buying an also ran football club will have the slightest impact on him or his regime. Its utter bullshit to suggest otherwise, MBS wont give a shit if it falls through (if he even knows about it). Do they think hes on tenterhooks watching sky sports (on pirate tv) to see if its gone through yet?

To pretend that the PL is some kind of moral policeman is a big fat joke given who theyve passed fit as owners; if people have a problem with the saudis using the PL for sportswashing they should demand a political solution and a govt response. And that includes Kashoggis widow imo, who I notice doesn’t direct any flak at Ashley whos the one choosing to sell to PIF. And its got nothing to do with the club and the fans iyam, no one consulted us about the sale.

• Like 4

Long time lurker here, based in Middle East. I am not a dentist.

A couple of theories of mine regarding the delay or possible cancellation of the takeover:

1. As Kieron McGuire mentioned on a recent Price of Football podcast, Bein Sports, which is owned by the government of Qatar, pays in monthly instalments for its EPL broadcasting rights. Sky and BT pay yearly, and have shown flexibility with finding a solution. To get one over the Saudis, I wouldn't be surprised if Bein is trying to use their missed/pending payments for March, April and May as leverage to scupper the deal.

2. The economy in KSA is getting a battering right now. Oil prices are rock bottom, and the kingdom has just increased VAT from 5% to 15%. While I understand that the sovereign wealth fund can of course afford the takeover, splashing the cash on overseas whims right now might not have the right PR impact locally.

I hope I'm completely wrong on both of these.

40 minutes ago, asteroidblitz said:

Long time lurker here, based in Middle East. I am not a dentist.

A couple of theories of mine regarding the delay or possible cancellation of the takeover:

1. As Kieron McGuire mentioned on a recent Price of Football podcast, Bein Sports, which is owned by the government of Qatar, pays in monthly instalments for its EPL broadcasting rights. Sky and BT pay yearly, and have shown flexibility with finding a solution. To get one over the Saudis, I wouldn't be surprised if Bein is trying to use their missed/pending payments for March, April and May as leverage to scupper the deal.

2. The economy in KSA is getting a battering right now. Oil prices are rock bottom, and the kingdom has just increased VAT from 5% to 15%. While I understand that the sovereign wealth fund can of course afford the takeover, splashing the cash on overseas whims right now might not have the right PR impact locally.

I hope I'm completely wrong on both of these.

On your first point, any missed payments would amount to around £40m. Not an insignificant chunk of change but not enough to panic the PL. In addition, any failure to pay this money once football does start up again would likely see them in breach of contract and so would allow the Saudis to bid for the rights which could be to the PL's advantage. I don't think the Qataris have that much influence right now.

Secondly, the Saudis can't pull out of this deal right now. The only way they could tank it would be to deliberately fail the PL tests and to do that would be an even worse PR disaster for them than to complete it. They'd be basically labelling themselves as a pariah state which goes against the look they've been trying to hard to project. 

Aye it’s £500m over three years. Works out about £40m over three months.

I’m not saying they’re in breach of contract right now as there’s no football going on but if we finish the season and they still refuse to pay then that’s got to be breach of contract.

Presumably the longer they take the better it looks. Like they really gave it proper consideration given the objections raised. That’s what I’d do even if I intended to approve the deal.

• Like 1

• Tom changed the title to Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official