Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

22 minutes ago, Kitman said:

Presumably the longer they take the better it looks. Like they really gave it proper consideration given the objections raised. That’s what I’d do even if I intended to approve the deal.

Aye, that's my take. They're taking as long as possible to at least give the appearance of diligence and consideration. 

There may be long conversations about the piracy issue, but these won't be issues that weren't expected by the prospective new owners, surely?

3 hours ago, asteroidblitz said:

Long time lurker here, based in Middle East. I am not a dentist.

A couple of theories of mine regarding the delay or possible cancellation of the takeover:

1. As Kieron McGuire mentioned on a recent Price of Football podcast, Bein Sports, which is owned by the government of Qatar, pays in monthly instalments for its EPL broadcasting rights. Sky and BT pay yearly, and have shown flexibility with finding a solution. To get one over the Saudis, I wouldn't be surprised if Bein is trying to use their missed/pending payments for March, April and May as leverage to scupper the deal.

2. The economy in KSA is getting a battering right now. Oil prices are rock bottom, and the kingdom has just increased VAT from 5% to 15%. While I understand that the sovereign wealth fund can of course afford the takeover, splashing the cash on overseas whims right now might not have the right PR impact locally.

I hope I'm completely wrong on both of these.

What’s wrong with dentists, like?

3 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

Rumours flying around that the Premier League will sign off the deal in the next 48 hours, how much truth is in that is anyone's guess.

Will this be before or after last summer’s 72 hours?

• Like 1

I know it’s always been known but fucking hell the Chronicle is fucking tragic. They’ve tweeted out the story from yesterday about the conservative MP demanding the deal is looked into twice already today, even though the blokes request was denied. 

• Like 1

On 01/05/2020 at 13:58, Tom said:

He's definitely copied & pasted that.

No. It's spelt exactly as it sounds.

8 hours ago, Tom said:

I think that’s the point they’re trying to make.

I agree that the Premier League are deliberately slowing this process down to make it look at though they've conducted a particularly thorough process and thus insulate themselves against criticism.

I think however, that this is a really stupid approach to take by the Premier League. All taking this approach has done is given more and more time for more and more criticism of the deal to build up on top of itself, leading to a snowball effect where critics are being emboldened by their perceived strength in numbers and the perception the deal is "stalling" because of their efforts. Ultimately the Premier League have really shot themselves in the foot, only adding to the peception that this takeover is "controversial", creating a bigger and bigger decision with  accompanying fallout for themselves to deal with when do actually finally make it.

The smart play by the Premier League was dumb and innocent, waving the deal through after the standard three or four weeks. "Oh well we conducted our standard checks and left it to the government to guide us on political issues" would have played much cleaner for themselves than the sh*tshow of right now that they have provided both circus tent and faecal reserves for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burb said:

I agree that the Premier League are deliberately slowing this process down to make it look at though they've conducted a particularly thorough process and thus insulate themselves against criticism.

I think however, that this is a really stupid approach to take by the Premier League. All taking this approach has done is given more and more time for more and more criticism of the deal to build up on top of itself, leading to a snowball effect where critics are being emboldened by their perceived strength in numbers and the perception the deal is "stalling" because of their efforts. Ultimately the Premier League have really shot themselves in the foot, only adding to the peception that this takeover is "controversial", creating a bigger and bigger decision with  accompanying fallout for themselves to deal with when do actually finally make it.

The smart play by the Premier League was dumb and innocent, waving the deal through after the standard three or four weeks. "Oh well we conducted our standard checks and left it to the government to guide us on political issues" would have played much cleaner for themselves than the sh*tshow of right now that they have provided both circus tent and faecal reserves for.

You could say that, but then again having us in the back pages constantly takes a bit of pressure off them with regard to project restart for the league. We're already seeing players kick up a fuss, which is justified in some respects, so again for the takeover to still be happening gives them a little cover from all the spotlight being on that.

Edited by Polarboy

On 15/05/2020 at 01:08, Kitman said:

I think we can all agree Khashoggi’s murder was despicable. However if MBS was responsible, I don’t think preventing his sovereign wealth fund from buying an also ran football club will have the slightest impact on him or his regime. Its utter bullshit to suggest otherwise, MBS wont give a shit if it falls through (if he even knows about it). Do they think hes on tenterhooks watching sky sports (on pirate tv) to see if its gone through yet?

To pretend that the PL is some kind of moral policeman is a big fat joke given who theyve passed fit as owners; if people have a problem with the saudis using the PL for sportswashing they should demand a political solution and a govt response. And that includes Kashoggis widow imo, who I notice doesn’t direct any flak at Ashley whos the one choosing to sell to PIF. And its got nothing to do with the club and the fans iyam, no one consulted us about the sale.

Aye. We'll sell them missiles every day of the week, but can they fuck buy one of our football teams. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, t00nraider2 said:

It's more likely the Premier league lawyers are milking as much as they can plus getting the season finished so they all get their bonuses will be more of a priority.

tenor.gif

• Haha 5
  • Jaysus... 1

17 minutes ago, t00nraider2 said:

It's more likely the Premier league lawyers are milking as much as they can plus getting the season finished so they all get their bonuses will be more of a priority.

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, t00nraider2 said:

8D5B1246-15BE-4AA9-B41C-BF269B001A72.gif

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, t00nraider2 said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, t00nraider2 said:

OblongMadCowbird-max-1mb.gif

• Haha 4

The PIF is on a massive spending spree, hoovering up £7bn of blue chip stocks, including Boeing and cruise operator Carnival. Which doesn’t sound particularly smart of you take the short view. But then they’re about to buy nufc so perhaps not the best stock pickers on the planet 

• Tom changed the title to Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official