Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

39 minutes ago, NJS said:

I still think it's an out of date model - the absence of Internet streaming rights is a huge omission - though the Amazon prime thing has promise. 

Team season tickets for all matches is still the way forward for legality imo. 

It’s been out of date for a long time. I always had hopes in the EU to abolish the restriction of broadcasting rights to national borders because it violates the idea of a free movement of goods. But the cartel of right holders and TV companies have been able to keep hold of their national monopolies.

If it wasn’t for the money and stress involved I would have tested it in front of courts by applying for a Sky or BT subscription to use in Germany.

3 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

It’s been out of date for a long time. I always had hopes in the EU to abolish the restriction of broadcasting rights to national borders because it violates the idea of a free movement of goods. But the cartel of right holders and TV companies have been able to keep hold of their national monopolies.

If it wasn’t for the money and stress involved I would have tested it in front of courts by applying for a Sky or BT subscription to use in Germany.

Not sure if you remember it but someone in the UK defended a case where they'd bought Greek satellite equipment  and subscribed legally there which was completely legal under EU law. They lost as sky argued their content was uniquely tailored for the UK so was therefore "exceptional". 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NJS said:

Not sure if you remember it but someone in the UK defended a case where they'd bought Greek satellite equipment  and subscribed legally there which was completely legal under EU law. They lost as sky argued their content was uniquely tailored for the UK so was therefore "exceptional". 

Actually not, because I lost interest in it when I quit my job in academics about ten years ago. There might be some newer cases I am not aware of. But it might be like sports betting member states tried to restrict for several years, winning a few cases at the ECJ but where national monopolies got weaker and weaker.

1 hour ago, trooper said:

So will it go through or not lads, what do you think ?

My senilitized dementialized gray matter thinks it won't, .................................but hope it will even if it's just to get shot of Ashley.

I know :lol:utter horse shit if you ask me. Premier league need to stop fucking about. It's a total farce now. Players are coming upto contract renewals, fans still waiting for refunds etc. It's just a shambles. 

I dont know how you lads feel but they way this is playing out I'm at the point were I'm watching this sheik/take/fake over just to see were it now leads. For me any excitement of it has been drained out.

It's actually ridiculous what the premier league bloke has been saying that there is no timescale on it.  How can they justify that? This is clearly effecting the fans with the refunds issue, it's effecting players in that contracts are running out and it will be effecting the staff with them not knowing who they will be working for or if they will have a job.  Not that I care but it's also effecting Ashley too as he no doubt has plans for the money for the sale.  Surely they can't be allowed to just drag this on and on with the hope that it will just go away.

• Like 4

I, like Troops have had any excitment etc at the moment drained.  At least with FCB we know where we stand. A fucking drained club with no fucking future.  At the moment peoples livings are on the line and the PL are the main party to that?  I would rather the Saudi's just said fuck it and walked away.

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

Keep the faith. Odds are still massively in favour of it going through 

I admire your optimism mate but everyone needs a definitive answer now. 

There is no way that we should be remotely concerned about that £350m bid from some random American. The Saudis put down £17m to secure this and Ashley cannot walk away even in the face of a better offer. The only way Ashley gets to that £350m offer is if the PL knock this on the head.

So that guy could have offered £1bn and it still wouldn't make any difference.

We might even consider that if that is true, it could be a positive even if this falls through. I strongly suspect that there is simply no way for either party to do anything other than wait for the PL to conclude its process, unless there are break clauses built into the purchase agreement. And if there were, I'd imagine we would have started to hear about it.

• Tom changed the title to Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official