Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

It’s incredible when you think about it. The PL could find absolutely nothing in the bid that would give them an excuse to block so they just wouldn’t make a decision or give a timeframe whilst all the while moving the goalposts. Just to keep the teams competing a closed shop. And most journalists are blaming the bidders. 

Yup. I've been saying all along its ridiculous that there isnt a timeframe for the EPL to make the decision. This is exactly why there always is one, in any industry, which can be extended given certain conditions if the case becomes complicated.

Now it seems they dont even have to explain the inaction that could turn out to be significant in the history of the club, the city, the region at large. It is just beyond belief.

Also, funny how there is no discussion in the media about just how fair the league is now. This should have everyone connected to the sport asking why one particular club was not allowed the sort of investment plenty others already have. The sanctity of the sport, or whatever is left of it, should be in question here. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Alex said:

There was a story the other day that the government did very little to help despite advertising the UK as an investment opportunity. I would imagine the PIF tried to do a lot during the 16 or 17 weeks or whatever to get the bid approved but if the PL did make unreasonable demands, moved the goalposts and refused to give an end date then I’m not sure what more pressure the Saudis could apply, especially if the UK government weren’t helping. I find this notion pretty odd but it could just be down to them being an incompetent set of fuckwits. Maybe the Saudis weren’t prepared to bribe them or donate millions to the Tory party in return 

There are obviously things you would like to know about the buyers regarding their intentions and actions, too. The Saudis certainly made a lot of strange decisions that weren’t helpful at all. Maybe they wanted to spare embarrassment but maybe they just got pissed off and thought that it’s not worth the hassle. They also might actually have had fundamental objections against the state being seen as director and un that case wanted to have nothing to do with it.

But it’s foremost down to the PL to explain their inactions as you would expect of a transparent organisation of the western world.

• Like 2

The court ruling banning Bein was an odd one. Perhaps timed to force the PL to make a decision but like you say, I don’t see how they thought it would help. The idea the people involved in the bid were unaware of it seems far-fetched too. But while this was an important, high-profile asset for their portfolio they’ll have much bigger fish to fry and will probably have moved on. Maybe to an Italian club, as someone suggested. It was a much bigger deal to us than it ever was to them. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Alex said:

The court ruling banning Bein was an odd one. Perhaps timed to force the PL to make a decision but like you say, I don’t see how they thought it would help. The idea the people involved in the bid were unaware of it seems far-fetched too. But while this was an important, high-profile asset for their portfolio they’ll have much bigger fish to fry and will probably have moved on. Maybe to an Italian club, as someone suggested. It was a much bigger deal to us than it ever was to them. 

Yeah, if you had to pinpoint the moment the takeover looked more likely to fail than succeed, that was it 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Alex said:

The banning of bein could be connected to the alleged attempt to buy the tv rights fir SaudivArabia. The League might have said that bein sill had the rights so they couldn’t be sold again. But that’s just a wild guess.

• Like 1

The Independent  Football  Ombudsman getting involved now 

The IFO are encouraging the Premier League to make a statement to the fans.
   I understand that the Newcastle United Supporters Trust has requested that the Premier League should make a statement to fans explaining how the case was handled.  This seems to be a reasonable request and I will advise the Premier League accordingly.

Edited by trooper

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Michael fucking Chopra. What a nipple.

Who’s better informed as to what’s been taking place behind the scenes do you think? Him or Olivier Bernard? 

44 minutes ago, trooper said:

The Independent  Football  Ombudsman getting involved now 

The IFO are encouraging the Premier League to make a statement to the fans.
   I understand that the Newcastle United Supporters Trust has requested that the Premier League should make a statement to fans explaining how the case was handled.  This seems to be a reasonable request and I will advise the Premier League accordingly.

Aye, getting involved now it’s fucking done and dusted and the PL have been allowed to take the piss. Are we going to get some ‘closure’ now? Seriously, who gives a fuck? 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Alex said:

Who’s better informed as to what’s been taking place behind the scenes do you think? Him or Olivier Bernard? 

He'll be bored at the lack of stuff to bet on and looking for something to do.

It almost feels like Staveley and the Reubens are trying to pressure the PL to basically say they’ll approve it as a way to get the KSA back to the table. I don’t see it happening anyway but it seems like that’s what they’re doing. 

I wonder if the Reubens could increase their stake to 41% meaning PIF were to be minority shareholders - a bit simplistic but I'm sure they could work out the money later - I'm sure other corporate deals have convenient structures. 

• Tom changed the title to Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official