Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

Clubs have expressed concern that the Premier League’s brand could be damaged by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) taking an 80% stake in Newcastle

Aye, that’s what the other 19 clubs are worried about. The brand being tarnished. FFS.

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Ghodoussi should attend wearing a t-shirt with “Ligma” on the front. 
Then when he’s told them all to fuck off and turned around to walk out, have “ Baaaaallz” on the back. 

• Haha 7

"It is an absolute outrage that Newcastle have been permitted to become competitive, and the very idea that in this day and age there should be some modicum of challenge to the big 6 clubs strikes at the very heart of what football is all about - wealth and glory for an established elite!! Err, I mean, think of the brand!"

"Moreover, the fact that we weren't given time to subvert the deal somehow really is a shocking dereliction of duty by the PL..!"

Edited by Rayvin
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

The clubs should’ve tried to do something about changing the fit and proper owner’s test before now of human rights etc was their concern. Of course that might cost the current owners the opportunity to sell their club at some point in the future. All they want to do is block this deal as a one off. Tough shit. Too late 

• Like 8

The brand :lol: aye sure, meanwhile Chelsea’s owner is a Russian mobster who basically had to bribe the Government with a housing redevelopment to be allowed into the country, City’s owners are… well basically the exact same nasty bastards our lot are, etc etc. Just embarrassing themselves and to be honest probably pissing our new owners off with this futile gesture. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Alex said:

The clubs should’ve tried to do something about changing the fit and proper owner’s test before now of human rights etc was their concern. Of course that might cost the current owners the opportunity to sell their club at some point in the future. All they want to do is block this deal as a one off. Tough shit. Too late 

The big clubs that are threatened by this were all too busy trying to plot a breakaway Superleague before anything like this happened to scupper their status. Fuck them.

I'm not even a Newcastle fan and I'm not going to pretend to be now that this has happened. Chuffed for you lot though and looking forward to watching the glorly hunter Manchester, Liverpool and Chelsea fans all having proper shitfits over this.

With any luck this PIF has another eye on the SPFL and breaking up the old firm, just for a bit of interest. Imagine a world where the brutualist House of Saud ends bigotry in Glasgow and unites the city in their opposition of their hatred of.......Partick Thistle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

What is it that they expect to achieve I wonder? Maybe it's entirely as they've said and they're outraged that they weren't involved in the decision making process this time around? Tbf they did appear to have a veto last time so this very much will be a slap in the face.

They can't cancel it and bitching about it like toddlers isn't going to get them anything though, so it is a bit bemusing.

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

Were these poverty-stricken “top 6” peasants bothered about The Brand when they were all going to fuck off to the ESL? 

• Like 9

So there's quite a few of our lot falling on their swords in the guardian comment sections, 'can't support the club' etc, being roundly applauded by fans of other clubs who observe that they'd do the same thing if it were their club. This got me thinking a bit about where culpability ends here, in particular with respect of this 'damage to the brand' line. I would have thought that, with this being such a huge issue that transcends football etc etc, any other fan of any other club should be morally obligated to abandon the sport in protest. I mean if they pay their money to watch their team against us, they're as complicit in legitimising the regime as we are, no? Especially given that all of their clubs have just lined up to essentially point this out. The brand is being "damaged" by legitimising Saudi Arabia - therefore all principled fans should walk away from the entire sport.

Maybe I'm clutching at straws here though.

Edited by Rayvin
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Gold. The hypocrisy of complaining ng about a lack transparency, especially from the “big six” after their silent attempt to change the football landscape.

They didn’t try to influence the decision last year though. Aye, righto…

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Fair play to the PL lulling the greedy six into a false sense of security regarding their punishment for trying to break away. 'ok lads, you decide your own punishment, we don't mind, oh, did we forget to tell you? We've ok'd the Saudi's buying Newcastle United. Don't worry, your self punishment fine won't set you back too much.'

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

So there's quite a few of our lot falling on their swords in the guardian comment sections, 'can't support the club' etc, being roundly applauded by fans of other clubs who observe that they'd do the same thing if it were their club. This got me thinking a bit about where culpability ends here, in particular with respect of this 'damage to the brand' line. I would have thought that, with this being such a huge issue that transcends football etc etc, any other fan of any other club should be morally obligated to abandon the sport in protest. I mean if they pay their money to watch their team against us, they're as complicit in legitimising the regime as we are, no? Especially given that all of their clubs have just lined up to essentially point this out. The brand is being "damaged" by legitimising Saudi Arabia - therefore all principled fans should walk away from the entire sport.

Maybe I'm clutching at straws here though.

You're not. The Premier League sanctioned the deal, so if Newcastle supporters are expected to abandon support of the club then anyone that supports a premier league team should be expected to do the same.

But the reality is there's no legitimate culpability on the fans, anyone suggesting there is is just a bitter Barry.

14 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

You'd think for sportswashing to be effective they'd have to actually have to improve their humans rights record. Otherwise their actions are just going to be more widely scrutinised in the countries they're prominent in

The concept of sportswashing is fallacious. Noone with a shred of intelligence changes their opinion on unrelated matters based on the ownership of a sporting team or the hosting of a sporting event. There's multiple teams with owners who face more scrutinty and derision due to sport bringing them more into the public view.

It's a bit like when a prick offers to buy you a drink, you happily accept the drink but don't change your opinion of them as a result.