Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

4 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

All that’s very well mate but Caulkin is 100% a Newcastle United supporter. So are a fair few other NE journos who’ve expressed misgivings. … that powerful  people don’t like competition isn’t exactly news either. The Saudis and the Qataris are sports washing, that’s literally what they’re doing .  Caulkin doesn’t have an agenda and he’s not as “disgusting “as  those who cut a journalist to death with bone saws whilst still alive, dissolved the corpse in acid and then dumped what was left in trash bags on some wasteland., or the individual who ordered it. That’s not being racist, they are the facts of the matter. 

I’m speaking only on behalf of myself here, not this board. I’m a ST holder and will continue to go to games but I’d advise you to lay off the Morrocan woodbines tbh, that shit isn’t showing you in the best light …

Joined the forum yesterday....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GeorgeHannah said:

Just watched George Caulkin from The Athletic on MOTDx  - you need to really need to be confront these pitiful  'asterix' boys. He is part of a small  group of schills including Roan,  Delaney, Herbert and other occasional Guardian journos, all pushing the anti-Arab script invented by the US owners of Superleague promoters Man Utd & Liverpool. The  bottom line is they don't like the competition or an investment model that exposes their attempts to  turn their own clubs into  short-term cash machines. So we get their familiar and blatantly racist  attacks against new owners - "oil clubs, asterixing, sportswashing, financial doping, nation state ownership...."etc etc. It's all about a threat to their profits and hopefully the parasites like Caulkin who push their disgusting  agenda for them  will not find the Newcastle supporters as gullible as the red hoards they rely on to swallow their lies

I would google about Caulkin again tbh

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Joined the forum yesterday....

Aye…half my family are city fans, mum was from Gorton/Ardwick Green, went to the church where city’s parent club Ardwick FC were founded when she was young. I know what some of them are like… jumped up mini Liam/Noel gobshites too whacked out gear to think straight….

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GeorgeHannah said:

Just watched George Caulkin from The Athletic on MOTDx  - you need to really need to be confront these pitiful  'asterix' boys. He is part of a small  group of schills including Roan,  Delaney, Herbert and other occasional Guardian journos, all pushing the anti-Arab script invented by the US owners of Superleague promoters Man Utd & Liverpool. The  bottom line is they don't like the competition or an investment model that exposes their attempts to  turn their own clubs into  short-term cash machines. So we get their familiar and blatantly racist  attacks against new owners - "oil clubs, asterixing, sportswashing, financial doping, nation state ownership...."etc etc. It's all about a threat to their profits and hopefully the parasites like Caulkin who push their disgusting  agenda for them  will not find the Newcastle supporters as gullible as the red hoards they rely on to swallow their lies

It didn’t take us long to attract the wums.

• Like 1

Arsenal fan from a non football board I frequent posted this from Arseblog.

Refreshingly even handed

Newcastle fans are excited, and why wouldn’t they be? They hate Mike Ashley, so the fact he’s going to be gone, and replaced by a group that is richer than Croesus to boot, must be very welcome. I reckon Satan himself could rock up to St James’ Park and would be given a warm welcome simply because he is not Mike Ashley. Intense dislike of one thing makes any kind of alternative seem welcome.

I’ve read the articles about sports washing, and honestly one of the most disheartening things about football these days is that the genie is so far out of the bottle this kind of takeover is inevitable. I just think it’s a shame that the people who run the game have allowed this landscape to develop, and that fans who want their teams to be competitive basically have to hope and pray that they are taken over by a billionaire, an oligarch, or a nation state. It’s actually depressing.

Instead of putting in place some measures which at least try and maintain some measure of financial equanimity – something with more teeth than FFP – they have pandered to the people with money who now ride roughshod over almost every aspect of the game. Broadcasting behemoths call the shots at the expense of fans; rich owners distort the transfer market; players and agents capitalise with lucrative contracts and wages; advertisers and marketers piggyback; gambling firms leech off punters with intense adverting campaigns, and we’re now seeing the rise of unregulated cryptocurrency makers using football as a way to sell their essentially worthless $h1tcoin to fans as they dress it up as some way of having influence. Ugh.

This isn’t to be critical of Newcastle fans by the way. How can any Arsenal fan take the moral high ground on their takeover when you look at our club?

Our owner is a billionaire who is tied to the Walton family (Walmart) whose influence on American life via its work practices, anti-union stance, working conditions, and lots more have been under constant scrutiny for years. Read here.

He’s currently engaged in a lawsuit with the city of St Louis over the move of the Rams to LA. One of his companies broadcast a trophy hunting TV channel where big brave men shot defenceless animals with high powered rifles for ‘sport’.

He makes people homeless. And that’s just the tip of the Kroenke real-estate/tax breaks iceberg.

Our stadium and shirt sponsor is Emirates Airlines, a subsidiary of The Emirates Group, which itself is a subsidiary of the Dubai government’s investment company, Investment Corporation of Dubai.

Homosexuality is illegal in Dubai. I love when Arsenal support the Rainbow Laces campaign; I love when the club offers support to LGBT+ groups, because I believe everyone should be allowed be who they are without fear or recrimination, and I think Arsenal do amazing work to help slowly break down barriers and ‘normalise’ things for some of our fans (and beyond). But how to do you marry that with our sponsors? I think they call it cognitive dissonance.

Our sleeve sponsor is ‘Visit Rwanda’. If you have the time or the inclination, this video from Channel 4 news is well worth a watch. It features the daughter of Paul Rusesabagina, subject of the Hotel Rwanda film, reacting to her father’s 25 year jail sentence last month after a trial ‘riddled with irregularities and evidence of political interference’ according to Human Rights Watch.

Rwandan president Paul Kagame is an Arsenal fan, hence the connection, and he recently made some pointed comments about our start to the season.

Paul Kagame ‘long ago quashed any semblance of democracy in Rwanda, and is regularly returned to power with over 90% of the vote. Opponents abroad have been shot or strangled to death. None of these murders has been pinned directly on Mr Kagame’s intelligence services, but the president has openly said that the victims got what they deserved’ [source].

He squashes dissent from media/journalists, Reporters Without Borders say: RPF (Kagame’s party) has recorded the killings or disappearances of eight journalists, and the convictions of a dozen journalists sentenced to lengthy prison terms. In addition, about 30 journalists were forced into exile.

It’s only journalists though, don’t worry about them. I guess he might get along with the new Newcastle owners at the Premier League elites mixer, perhaps taking some tips in how to chop up a journalist who asks the wrong questions. Watch out if your enquiry about the tactical shift under whoever the new Toon boss is doesn’t go down well.

So look, if you have concerns about human rights in Saudi Arabia, that’s a perfectly normal position to take, and it’s certainly much more than a ‘comms issue‘ but I don’t think blame or scrutiny should be attached to Newcastle fans for welcoming a new owner. Why should they be held to higher standards than anyone else? Think pieces about sports-washing and all those nefarious associations need to focus on how and why we’ve got to a point where these kinds of owners are being solicited and welcomed.

Obviously it’s not just Arsenal, but see how much cognitive dissonance we have to apply – and we’re not really seen as one of the truly ‘bad guys’. Look at Chelsea. Look at Man City. Look at PSG. Look at all the sponsors and advertisers. Look at how money has corrupted the very essence of the sport. It seems a little bit much to start throwing toys out of the pram now because Newcastle’s owners don’t stand up to moral scrutiny because that has been the case for a long time now in the Premier League. Fit and proper and all that.

Maybe the Newcastle thing is the straw that broke the camel’s back for some people – although some might argue it’s a case that those at the top don’t want another team to compete with due to their upcoming financial strength – but nobody stopped to notice the camel has been dead for a long, long time

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Arsenal fan from a non football board I frequent posted this from Arseblog.

Refreshingly even handed

Newcastle fans are excited, and why wouldn’t they be? They hate Mike Ashley, so the fact he’s going to be gone, and replaced by a group that is richer than Croesus to boot, must be very welcome. I reckon Satan himself could rock up to St James’ Park and would be given a warm welcome simply because he is not Mike Ashley. Intense dislike of one thing makes any kind of alternative seem welcome.

I’ve read the articles about sports washing, and honestly one of the most disheartening things about football these days is that the genie is so far out of the bottle this kind of takeover is inevitable. I just think it’s a shame that the people who run the game have allowed this landscape to develop, and that fans who want their teams to be competitive basically have to hope and pray that they are taken over by a billionaire, an oligarch, or a nation state. It’s actually depressing.

Instead of putting in place some measures which at least try and maintain some measure of financial equanimity – something with more teeth than FFP – they have pandered to the people with money who now ride roughshod over almost every aspect of the game. Broadcasting behemoths call the shots at the expense of fans; rich owners distort the transfer market; players and agents capitalise with lucrative contracts and wages; advertisers and marketers piggyback; gambling firms leech off punters with intense adverting campaigns, and we’re now seeing the rise of unregulated cryptocurrency makers using football as a way to sell their essentially worthless $h1tcoin to fans as they dress it up as some way of having influence. Ugh.

This isn’t to be critical of Newcastle fans by the way. How can any Arsenal fan take the moral high ground on their takeover when you look at our club?

Our owner is a billionaire who is tied to the Walton family (Walmart) whose influence on American life via its work practices, anti-union stance, working conditions, and lots more have been under constant scrutiny for years. Read here.

He’s currently engaged in a lawsuit with the city of St Louis over the move of the Rams to LA. One of his companies broadcast a trophy hunting TV channel where big brave men shot defenceless animals with high powered rifles for ‘sport’.

He makes people homeless. And that’s just the tip of the Kroenke real-estate/tax breaks iceberg.

Our stadium and shirt sponsor is Emirates Airlines, a subsidiary of The Emirates Group, which itself is a subsidiary of the Dubai government’s investment company, Investment Corporation of Dubai.

Homosexuality is illegal in Dubai. I love when Arsenal support the Rainbow Laces campaign; I love when the club offers support to LGBT+ groups, because I believe everyone should be allowed be who they are without fear or recrimination, and I think Arsenal do amazing work to help slowly break down barriers and ‘normalise’ things for some of our fans (and beyond). But how to do you marry that with our sponsors? I think they call it cognitive dissonance.

Our sleeve sponsor is ‘Visit Rwanda’. If you have the time or the inclination, this video from Channel 4 news is well worth a watch. It features the daughter of Paul Rusesabagina, subject of the Hotel Rwanda film, reacting to her father’s 25 year jail sentence last month after a trial ‘riddled with irregularities and evidence of political interference’ according to Human Rights Watch.

Rwandan president Paul Kagame is an Arsenal fan, hence the connection, and he recently made some pointed comments about our start to the season.

Paul Kagame ‘long ago quashed any semblance of democracy in Rwanda, and is regularly returned to power with over 90% of the vote. Opponents abroad have been shot or strangled to death. None of these murders has been pinned directly on Mr Kagame’s intelligence services, but the president has openly said that the victims got what they deserved’ [source].

He squashes dissent from media/journalists, Reporters Without Borders say: RPF (Kagame’s party) has recorded the killings or disappearances of eight journalists, and the convictions of a dozen journalists sentenced to lengthy prison terms. In addition, about 30 journalists were forced into exile.

It’s only journalists though, don’t worry about them. I guess he might get along with the new Newcastle owners at the Premier League elites mixer, perhaps taking some tips in how to chop up a journalist who asks the wrong questions. Watch out if your enquiry about the tactical shift under whoever the new Toon boss is doesn’t go down well.

So look, if you have concerns about human rights in Saudi Arabia, that’s a perfectly normal position to take, and it’s certainly much more than a ‘comms issue‘ but I don’t think blame or scrutiny should be attached to Newcastle fans for welcoming a new owner. Why should they be held to higher standards than anyone else? Think pieces about sports-washing and all those nefarious associations need to focus on how and why we’ve got to a point where these kinds of owners are being solicited and welcomed.

Obviously it’s not just Arsenal, but see how much cognitive dissonance we have to apply – and we’re not really seen as one of the truly ‘bad guys’. Look at Chelsea. Look at Man City. Look at PSG. Look at all the sponsors and advertisers. Look at how money has corrupted the very essence of the sport. It seems a little bit much to start throwing toys out of the pram now because Newcastle’s owners don’t stand up to moral scrutiny because that has been the case for a long time now in the Premier League. Fit and proper and all that.

Maybe the Newcastle thing is the straw that broke the camel’s back for some people – although some might argue it’s a case that those at the top don’t want another team to compete with due to their upcoming financial strength – but nobody stopped to notice the camel has been dead for a long, long time

That is one great post  I wonder how his fellow Arsenal fans responded. For anyone tl:dr,  the last paragraph sums it up. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1

Yeah, it’s fucking shit that football is in this state - the game’s gone - but that’s the reality and it’s been getting worse since they let abramovich in. The Saudis are probably the worst of the lot and I completely understand why people are talking about their involvement but they shouldn’t be surprised that more dirty money is flooding into the game. 

China maybe? Hard to imagine it really since buying football clubs as a sportswashing thing is a bit smalltime for a nation state. But they're the only ones I could imagine being remotely possible.

I read that earlier. What does he expect the answer to be to the question he poses in his last par? Well, Jonathan. I for one am a big fan of torture and murder. 

there is only one question Newcastle fans and football more generally needs to ask: how do you feel about torture and murder?

37 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I read that earlier. What does he expect the answer to be to the question he poses in his last par? Well, Jonathan. I for one am a big fan of torture and murder. 

there is only one question Newcastle fans and football more generally needs to ask: how do you feel about torture and murder?

I  was  all  in  favour  of  it

But  now  he  is  gone  it's  not  needed

• Haha 7

7 hours ago, Isegrim said:

I would google about Caulkin again tbh

I've never heard him before but if you actually listen to what he said about the new owners on such a momentous day for your club - he could have been Dan Roan. (Apologies he was on BBC Football Focus this lunchtime -  not MOTDX as I said earlier - not on iPlayer yet for some reason.) You need to confront the 'manufactured club' narrative from the off in my view.

Edited by GeorgeHannah