Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

He’s always been a big cry baby tbf. They spent £80m on a keeper and £75m on a centre half ffs. They can say it was the Coutinho money but they’ve spent far more than that. Wherever the money is sourced, whether it is from the owners, or sponsorships and people abroad buying shirts the end result is the same, it creates inequity in the league something Liverpool have long enjoyed having on their side due to the revenue generation abilities of their past success, which came from…. having more money than others. 

• Like 2

I like Klopp, I am prepared to trust him on his concerns for human rights because it seems consistent with what he's said in the past. Although I do think that point about China is relevant tbh.

Clearly though his main issue is that we become a threat - and we will, so fair enough. I do think some people can legitimately complain about that, whilst at the same time acknowledging that it's just the way it is - which is what he does. I mean idk, of course managers from teams who aren't owned by nation states will point out that this gives a big advantage elsewhere.

• Like 3

On 14/10/2021 at 02:14, ohhh_yeah said:

Newcastle may be desperate for glory, but so are others

AMID all the hullabaloo about Newcastle United’s takeover by the Saudi Arabian sovereign wealth fund, there was an underlying feeling the club’s fans were entitled to celebrate the transaction because they had waited so long for success. It is true that Newcastle have gone 52 years without any form of silverware, but they are not alone in being an underachieving club. Certainly, nobody should be using the phrase, “they deserve this because they want it so much”, a throwaway rolled-out by TV “talent” shows full of weeping wannabes and hyberbole.

For example, in the current Premier League, there are four clubs (Brentford, Brighton, Crystal Palace and Watford) who have never won a single major trophy. Burnley have waited the longest, 61 years since they won the league title. Then there’s West Ham and Wolverhampton Wanderers, who have gone 41 without a trophy on their boardroom table.

In Germany, exactly half of the 18-team Bundesliga have never won a trophy, while poor old Hertha Berlin have gone 90 years without a sniff of silverware. It was 1931 when they were last champions of Germany. Among the owners of barren trophy cabinets are RB Leipzig, who despite being in contention for honours, have yet to break their duck.

Only four clubs from Italy’s Serie A have never won a cup, but there’s a lot who have been waiting for what must seem like an eternity. Udinese (91 years), Genoa (84), Venezia (80) and Atalanta (58) are all among the most patient of clubs.

Nine clubs from La Liga are potless, while Athletic Bilbao have waited the longest among the past winners, some 37 years. Interestingly, seven teams have lifted trophies in the past three seasons from Spain, highlighting their strength in European competition.

France, despite the dominance of Paris Saint-Germain, has only five Ligue 1 teams who have never won a bean. Eleven clubs have won something since 2001. Of those that can look back on past glory, Reims have been waiting longest – 30 years.

The top 10 most patient clubs

Last trophyYears

Udinese1930 91

Hertha Berlin1931 90

Genoa1937 84

Venezia1941 80

Burnley1960 61

Atalanta1963 58

Newcastle Utd1969 52

Cagliari1970 51

Bologna1974 47

Southampton1976 45

https://gameofthepeople.com/2021/10/13/newcastle-may-be-desperate-for-glory-but-so-are-others/

We know other clubs are desperate for glory.Has any NUFC fan said there aren’t?  

7 minutes ago, Howay said:

He’s always been a big cry baby tbf. They spent £80m on a keeper and £75m on a centre half ffs. They can say it was the Coutinho money but they’ve spent far more than that. Wherever the money is sourced, whether it is from the owners, or sponsorships and people abroad buying shirts the end result is the same, it creates inequity in the league something Liverpool have long enjoyed having on their side due to the revenue generation abilities of their past success, which came from…. having more money than others. 

Yeah but he'll claim that Liverpool got their money on merit through success, whereas we got ours from nowhere for nothing. Liverpool represents society as we would all like it to be, Newcastle represents society as it is :lol: Either way this doesn't feel that bad to me and for all the other clubs are bitching about this, we might still get relegated this season so their concerns are some way off!

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Yeah but he'll claim that Liverpool got their money on merit through success, whereas we got ours from nowhere for nothing. Liverpool represents society as we would all like it to be, Newcastle represents society as it is :lol: Either way this doesn't feel that bad to me and for all the other clubs are bitching about this, we might still get relegated this season so their concerns are some way off!

It’s rocky foundation though. I’m fairly sure at some point they had a wealthy investor owner who gave them that initial leg up. It’s like how Blackburn won the league off the money their owner pumped in, people romanticize it because by today’s standard the money doesn’t look big but at the time it was. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Howay said:

It’s rocky foundation though. I’m fairly sure at some point they had a wealthy investor owner who gave them that initial leg up. It’s like how Blackburn won the league off the money their owner pumped in, people romanticize it because by today’s standard the money doesn’t look big but at the time it was. 

Fair enough, but they've got a lot of success out of that over the years, they've been run well as a sporting institution. In the end we don't need to react to this stuff, I mean he's being pretty balanced on it, he's not needling the fans, and you'd expect him to point out that this makes his life harder. Yes it's hypocritical on some level but in the end it appears he's just going to get on with it, so that's actually positive from our POV. It's begrudging endorsement of this being just how it is. Works for me.

20 minutes ago, Howay said:

Littlewoods (inc the Pools) / the Moores family. They were a well run club and bought wisely but had a competitive advantage due to their financial backing. It was one of the biggest companies in Europe at its peak iirc. Retail has changed and things like the national lottery meant they could no longer bankroll the club. So Liverpool get their money elsewhere now. Make no mistake though, their success in the past relied on their ability to outspend their rivals. If anything they punch above their weight now, relatively. They’ve still spent significantly more than most of their rivals even recently however 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

Littlewoods (inc the Pools) / the Moores family. They were a well run club and bought wisely but had a competitive advantage due to their financial backing. It was one of the biggest companies in Europe at its peak iirc. Retail has changed and things like the national lottery meant they could no longer bankroll the club. So Liverpool get their money elsewhere though. Make no mistake though, they success in the past relied on their ability to outspend their rivals. If anything they punch above their weight now, relatively. They’ve still spent significantly more than most of their rivals even then though 

Good post.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alex said:

Littlewoods (inc the Pools) / the Moores family. They were a well run club and bought wisely but had a competitive advantage due to their financial backing. It was one of the biggest companies in Europe at its peak iirc. Retail has changed and things like the national lottery meant they could no longer bankroll the club. So Liverpool get their money elsewhere now. Make no mistake though, their success in the past relied on their ability to outspend their rivals. If anything they punch above their weight now, relatively. They’ve still spent significantly more than most of their rivals even recently however 

Spot on. Aye there’s no doubt they’re well run, and have maintained momentum and capitalized from those early advantages. I think the last point is key here too, they’ll moan about teams like us and Manchester City doing to them what they are doing to the rest of the league.

I also get what you’re saying Rayvin, I personally don’t like Klopp so I find him whiny at the best of times let alone issues like he’s trying to bring up here so just like to point out his hypocrisy. I agree, it’s something we definitely have to get used to I just take exception to people like Klopp trying to paint the past as some golden age where everything was a meritocracy when in actual fact it’s pretty much always been driven by who has the most money.

I agree with Alex that they’re punching above their weight class for now, in part due to Manchester United’s failings in recent years, I think Klopp is a massive reason for that too though as he is a brilliant coach, fortunately I see him leaving them soon and they’ll drop a fair bit off where they are now. 

• Like 1

Klopp:

“I don’t want to make it my business because it’s not my business. There are no two opinions about the obvious human rights concerns in Saudi Arabia."

“That’s not a question. But how it could then happen that this was nevertheless allowed despite many concerns, I cannot assess. That must be some other people."

“If we only talk about football, then in the long term, of course, we have to say that they are going to be a superpower. This is the third club in world football that I know of that belongs to a country and that obviously belongs to the wealthiest family on the planet."

“The possibilities that open up are of course immense. With the Super League, the whole world was justifiably upset about it. It’s basically like the Super League now – just for one club. Then Newcastle are guaranteed to play a dominant role in world football for the next 20 or 30 years."

Christian Streich:

"There are always things happening in football that have exceeded all limits. In this case it is  unbelievable who is part of this consortium."

Referring to the PIF, Streich said it is known that it includes people who are "involved in serious human rights violations."

"I have to say that if people have a problem with that, then I can count myself among those people."

"I believe that the Bundesliga is still attractive and that we should not follow everything that is done in other leagues, for example in England."

"Anyone who doesn't work so well even though they have a long tradition doesn't play the in the Bundesliga. For me, that is competition."

On 13/10/2021 at 00:51, Kid Dynamite said:

Chelsea tickets went on general sale today. What a ball ache trying to buy 2 for me and my Dad!

The entire level 7 is a family area so you can only buy adult tickets with a kids ticket. No bother I thought, I'll take the bairn too. Except there's a limit of 2 tickets per person so you have to allocate the 3rd ticket to a pre-existing supporter number. Spent ages signing my Dad up for his own account only to find out you need to buy a ticket before you find out what your supporter number is 🤦🏻

Ended up scrapping the whole thing and buying a single ticket to go on my todd. Then 2 tickets together magically reappeared!!! 🤬

Anyway, long story short, anyone want a ticket for the Chelsea match. £41, face value :lol: 

1 x Chelsea ticket back up for sale. Pitchside in Milburn. £41