Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

Does anyone think we have serious cause for concern about the cabal play on sponsorship? I'm having a hard time believing that Staveley wouldn't have expected it on some level and the fact she sent Charnley to go and deal with it is actually sort of reassuring in a way, keeps cards close to the chest etc (I doubt Charnley knows anything remotely useful beyond what he was told).

I do find it quite depressing though, that this is how the league is reacting to the still fairly slim chance that we might actually someday manage to win something.

Edited by Rayvin

I don't see how they make that new rule stick. There are clubs with existing related party sponsorship deals. What happens when those come up for renewal? They can't be allowed to renew them whilst preventing us and other clubs from entering into any new ones. 

This just feels like a short term panic measure while they flap about trying to find something else. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I mean she might have to if they stop us putting money in through sponsorship. We can't get money in easily without it.

We can't dope ourselves financially long term with out it, but this is going to get tangled up in legals forever if they try to extend it beyond the month, Charnley laid out at the meeting that the club believe this move is illegal and we'll continue to challenge on that ground. 

In the meantime we can just spend shit loads of money because of our existing books anyway. 

The "problem" is the benefit the Saudi PIF companies gets from being all over our shirts and hoardings will be more limited for...a month currently.

This is desperate stuff lead by a handful of clubs who couldn't keep up with us if we did what we're potentially able to.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I don't see how they make that new rule stick. There are clubs with existing related party sponsorship deals. What happens when those come up for renewal? They can't be allowed to renew them whilst preventing us and other clubs from entering into any new ones. 

This just feels like a short term panic measure while they flap about trying to find something else. 

Exactly, everything Levy and the rest of the dickheads in charge of the pauper clubs have thought up over the last 18 months is going to start being wheeled out now, none of it will stick because if any of it was any good and actually provided them with long term security in the form of stopping competition they'd have done it already regardless of us.

The superleague was the best the biggest clubs in the world could come up with and look how shit that was.

• Like 1

We should just give Carroll a contract, buy a small French club in league 4 or whatever and have Aramco sponsor them and have  them bid 2 billion for him. Let's face it. They aren't going to close every loophole 

Edited by TheGingerQuiff
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

We should just give Carroll a contract, buy a small French club in league 4 or whatever and have Aramco sponsor them and have  them bid 2 billion for him. Let's face it. They aren't going to close every loophole 

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Isegrim said:

Seems like the likes the rest of the big six are kicking themselves for letting ManCity into the big boys club way back when and this time they're going to go in kicking and screaming like little toddlers to stop it happening again. Complete sour grapes.

• Like 1

Why stop at sponsorships? Why not bring it in for player transactions and the like? In my esteemed legal opinion I can't see this having any legs long term.

2 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

I'd say this has legs - it's been a dream of his to join his boyhood club AS Poissy.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/19/premier-league-clubs-v-newcastle-inside-the-stunning-emergency-vote

Not sure if the above had been posted, if so sorry for the repost. 

I think they key points are they’ve clearly acted as a cartel, by not including Newcastle they set a fucking terrible precedent, and also it’s a clear case of targeting one club which apparently isn’t allowed either. I know the bloke writing the article said clubs would try and play it off like they were always working on tightening regulations, but fucking hell it’s about as blatant as you can get seeing as they literally didn’t invite NUFC to the discussion, and the timing alone makes it clear as day what it’s related to. 

If the PL don’t do anything about this we should take them to court. As I’ve said before I don’t think these clubs have truly thought this through, the cartel aspect alone leaves them massively exposed and if it’s not shot down leaves them open to being the ones excluded from the meetings in future. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Howay said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/19/premier-league-clubs-v-newcastle-inside-the-stunning-emergency-vote

Not sure if the above had been posted, if so sorry for the repost. 

I think they key points are they’ve clearly acted as a cartel, by not including Newcastle they set a fucking terrible precedent, and also it’s a clear case of targeting one club which apparently isn’t allowed either. I know the bloke writing the article said clubs would try and play it off like they were always working on tightening regulations, but fucking hell it’s about as blatant as you can get seeing as they literally didn’t invite NUFC to the discussion, and the timing alone makes it clear as day what it’s related to. 

If the PL don’t do anything about this we should take them to court. As I’ve said before I don’t think these clubs have truly thought this through, the cartel aspect alone leaves them massively exposed and if it’s not shot down leaves them open to being the ones excluded from the meetings in future. 

Its four posts above yours man! :razz:

You're absolutely right though, they're panicking and seeing if they can get away with shit. 

2 hours ago, OTF said:

I'd say this has legs - it's been a dream of his to join his boyhood club AS Poissy.

Even quicker than that we could have him go out to Saudi and deliver football training programs. Subsidised by the Saudi government and £10m per class/student.

I mean Quiff is right tbh, we could get very stupid about this before they managed to shut down every angle.

The problem with those kind of schemes is assuming that just making the team good is the only angle for the money here.

PIF want Saudi Airlines or Aramco or whatever on the shirts and on the hoardings.

You need the parts of your stuff you want to be seen to be visible if you want to get your sportswashing done. 

If they can't been seen through NUFC, they won't bother.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Andrew said:

The problem with those kind of schemes is assuming that just making the team good is the only angle for the money here.

PIF want Saudi Airlines or Aramco or whatever on the shirts and on the hoardings.

You need the parts of your stuff you want to be seen to be visible if you want to get your sportswashing done. 

If they can't been seen through NUFC, they won't bother.

Guess so but if they take a longer term view of it (and I'm not really imagining that that sort of scheme would happen btw) they could probably get around whatever they had to while they fight the other clubs in litigation. the most urgent issue we have is getting money into the club to save ourselves.

Just an aside though - if we did get relegated, could we then immediately ram through several 10 year sponsorship deals while we were in the championship, since the PL rules would no longer apply?

25 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Guess so but if they take a longer term view of it (and I'm not really imagining that that sort of scheme would happen btw) they could probably get around whatever they had to while they fight the other clubs in litigation. the most urgent issue we have is getting money into the club to save ourselves.

Just an aside though - if we did get relegated, could we then immediately ram through several 10 year sponsorship deals while we were in the championship, since the PL rules would no longer apply?

Thats not strictly true because we don't need to pump the books to spend a SHIT load in january, because we've been so cheap in the last few years.

Infrastructure doesn't play into FFP and we can spend upwards of 200mil before we get near the limits of our available spend.

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Thats not strictly true because we don't need to pump the books to spend a SHIT load in january, because we've been so cheap in the last few years.

Infrastructure doesn't play into FFP and we can spend upwards of 200mil before we get near the limits of our available spend.

Yeah but I was under the impression that if we go all out this year we'd need to pull it back in next two years in order to avoid being fined. It sounds risky to do much other than simply match other middle of the road teams. I guess I don't know what net spent averages are these days though.