Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

1 hour ago, RobinRobin said:

Will that actually make it more difficult with the new sponsorship rules? 

The new sponsorship rules only say that any sponsorship worth more than 1 million has to be deemed appropriate to market value. They weren't able to keep the ban on owner related companies giving sponsorship but there is a check for "associated parties" whatever that actually means considering that the PL made the judgement that PIF and Saudi are separate things.

As far as legal separation goes, it is quite clever.

We are owned by PiF, who sponsor Golf Saudi and can sponsor them as much as they want to. 

Golf Saudi then sponsor our shirts for as much as possible, the money basically comes from PiF and everyone knows it, but legally it is being passed through a completely different entity so...fuck you Premier League.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Isn't "appropriate to market value" the issue though? How does Golf Saudi get around that when sponsoring us?

Synergies, dear boy, synergies.

• Haha 2

He seems completely rattled by the potential of NUFC under this ownership more than anything else. Good, because he’s a fucking bell end and a shite journo with it. The exact type to do a complete 180 if we get anywhere near Man City and Liverpool in the next decade or so too 

• Like 3

On 14/05/2022 at 09:55, Rayvin said:

Isn't "appropriate to market value" the issue though? How does Golf Saudi get around that when sponsoring us?

Appropriate to market value as decided by... whom?

Right now, Newcastle United are an exciting project, richest club on the planet (we're not reall,y but stick with me), got some exciting players, and the potential for the club is to match Man City. Have 'United Group' clubs across the globe, our brand shown on every tv. What's it worth to get in on the ground floor, of that? 

New shirt sponsors that are in line with West Ham, or Everton are entirely reasonable and represent fair market value. Sleeve sponsors, training ground sponsors, academy sponsors... We have bot all commercial revenue compared to similar clubs, and if I know anything, it's that this club needs an official pillow partner, a tractor partner, a duct maintenance partner.

20 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Right now, Newcastle United are an exciting project, richest club on the planet (we're not reall,y but stick with me), got some exciting players, and the potential for the club is to match Man City. Have 'United Group' clubs across the globe, our brand shown on every tv. What's it worth to get in on the ground floor, of that? 

New shirt sponsors that are in line with West Ham, or Everton are entirely reasonable and represent fair market value. Sleeve sponsors, training ground sponsors, academy sponsors... We have bot all commercial revenue compared to similar clubs, and if I know anything, it's that this club needs an official pillow partner, a tractor partner, a duct maintenance partner.

I've mentioned it before but if I was them I would base it on a coefficient set up in the same way as the CL more or less. Previous 5 years revenue plus a percentage growth over the top, applied to every club in the league.

I'm not saying this should happen just that I can think of ways they could do it.

22 minutes ago, The Fish said:

You forgot coffee cup sponsor :smile:

51 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I've mentioned it before but if I was them I would base it on a coefficient set up in the same way as the CL more or less. Previous 5 years revenue plus a percentage growth over the top, applied to every club in the league.

I'm not saying this should happen just that I can think of ways they could do it.

But that doesn't account for potential. 

e.g. Midtable teams in the top flight, Armtonville United and Brimlingthorpe Rovers both have a shirt sponsorship deal for £5m a year and have done for the previous 5 years. They'd both be allowed to increase their sponsorship  by the percentage growth and nothing more, right? However, the lucky ducks at Brimlingthorpe have just been bought by Scrooge McDuck who is worth around £200bn. Which is the more valuable brand for a bank to tie itself to for 3 years?

Just now, The Fish said:

But that doesn't account for potential. 

e.g. Midtable teams in the top flight, Armtonville United and Brimlingthorpe Rovers both have a shirt sponsorship deal for £5m a year and have done for the previous 5 years. They'd both be allowed to increase their sponsorship  by the percentage growth and nothing more, right? However, the lucky ducks at Brimlingthorpe have just been bought by Scrooge McDuck who is worth around £200bn. Which is the more valuable brand for a bank to tie itself to for 3 years?

I'm not really arguing that it's fair, I do appreciate that in a free market it should be a matter of whatever anyone is willing to pay, I'm just saying that a cabal which employed the same logic into the Champions League could very easily decide to do so here.

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

I'm not really arguing that it's fair, I do appreciate that in a free market it should be a matter of whatever anyone is willing to pay, I'm just saying that a cabal which employed the same logic into the Champions League could very easily decide to do so here.

That's the thing though, We don't have to have a shirt sponsorship deal with Aramco for £1bn a year to see a huge growth in commercial revenue. Our shirt sponsorship deal with Fun88  is about £6.5m. By comparison West Ham's deal with Betway is £10m which is the 7th biggest deal in the league. The 6th biggest sponsorship deal is AIA's deal with Spurs at £35m.

So, if Saudia sponsor the shirt for £12m it couldn't be argued that it's extraordinary for the league, that it's unfair, or over the top for a club of our 'size'.

However, that £12m significantly swells our commercial revenue, as will further partnership deals, even if they're at 'fair market' value. So, I'm not worried about some shady Cabal trying to keep us down. It'll work for us as well as it's worked for Man City, PSG et al.

• Like 1

Edwards so desperate to be a tedious cunt he can’t even give it a rest after that game :lol:. He’s immediately focused on the first reply, but the second one should give him some insight into why many are sick of hearing people like him fucking bore on. 

I guess it must be a shock to him that now he’s decided to kiss up, to the fan base that he’s spent recent years being a complete wanksplat to, that everyone isn’t just being nice and friendly back. The same goes to other pundits and reporters too. 

Edited by Howay