Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

Wonder why we didn’t do this earlier in the window and whether this means we’re going to start bidding the £40-50m we’re being quoted for the more exciting forward players 

Reaching a bit, but loans are generally against the run of play in Islam, no? I appreciate that it's more about making money out of the loan, but there may be enough here to muddy the water sufficiently that they'd simply prefer to use a bank.

Other than that, I agree that it's about deferring sponsorship deals until we're in a stronger position. Skipping a year forward if it works.

Yeah exactly that. Bridging loan so we get the TV money up front and can use it now. On reflection Gemmill is right about sponsorship- better to see out the Fun88 deal rather than pay them off as hopefully we’ll be able to attract far more lucrative sponsorship next summer than right now.

• Like 1

It's possible that they've held off because, if getting better sponsorships in a years time is indeed going to be the intended outcome to all of this, they may well have been watching and appraising the business done by others (West Ham in particular for my money, I suspect that's who we're targeting position wise this season) in order to ensure we measure up.

At this stage they should have a clear idea of where our squad is compared to everyone else, who we can get in, and what it will take. And honestly, the only real reason to take out an £80m loan like this in advance of earning it over the season, is if you intend to spend it pretty much immediately. The cost of the loan is what they're paying for speed.

If this betting company ban comes into force it’s going to be open season next summer for investors to choose their partner club. We’ve got to seem a very attractive prospect.

1 hour ago, strawb said:

We get this seasons tv money as a lumper now rather than over the season/at the end of the season.

The bank take the instalments. 

Hopefully just in time for new sponsorships to come in as we are in the champions league

So you could say against guaranteed income? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gemmill said:

They don't want new sponsorship deals yet is my take. We're currently a team that habitually finishes in the bottom half of the table and we'll be restricted to deals that reflect that. 

I think the delay on sponsorship is in part to lift our profile, have a great season, put down a marker for the club we are now/intend to be, and then we can get a deal that reflects that. 

I doubt we need to worry too much about what's happening here. 

12 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Wonder why we didn’t do this earlier in the window and whether this means we’re going to start bidding the £40-50m we’re being quoted for the more exciting forward players 

I think an answer to both of these points is the scrutiny that new sponsorship deals are now coming under. If they hadn't tightened up that revenue avenue we may have already seen Fun88 replaced by Saudia or Aramco for tens of millions a year. So, to get those kind of deals, we'd need to be a more attractive brand to sponsor.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I’d never heard anything about our owners being dodgy before, like. Are you sure about this?

The universal praise for the shower of medieval murdering bastards really fucks me off. It will taint everything, even if we start winning trophies . I’m not at the stage where it’s impossible for me to support the 11 shirts on the pitch and I doubt I ever will be (old habits die hard) but the mental gymnastics we saw on  Twitter last October and the nauseating “Mandy’s Mags” etc bullshit needs a counterbalance. The thread below that picture with Trump, fuckin hell man…. “Ooh I can’t support him if he’s with Trump!”  :lol:  

41 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

The universal praise for the shower of medieval murdering bastards really fucks me off. It will taint everything, even if we start winning trophies . I’m not at the stage where it’s impossible for me to support the 11 shirts on the pitch and I doubt I ever will be (old habits die hard) but the mental gymnastics we saw on  Twitter last October and the nauseating “Mandy’s Mags” etc bullshit needs a counterbalance. The thread below that picture with Trump, fuckin hell man…. “Ooh I can’t support him if he’s with Trump!”  :lol:  

I'll be honest the Reuben's turn my stomach as well.

I have quite successfully compartmentalised things for the moment, but my mental gymnastics don't stand up to any honest scrutiny

I'm still enjoying looking forward to the season for once

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

I have quite successfully compartmentalised things for the moment, but my mental gymnastics don't stand up to any honest scrutiny

aye and me. I'm comfortable with the fact I've dismissed the role of guardian of sporting morals. 

fill your boots exile1968.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

I hate the Saudis for obvious reasons 

Staveley, her husband and the Reubens are fully worse for getting into bed with them…..the lesson is any money from any source is fine and it’s not to be questioned . Well fuck that. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

aye and me. I'm comfortable with the fact I've dismissed the role of guardian of sporting morals. 

fill your boots exile1968.

In the spirit of full disclosure and cleansing my soul I really like the Saudi change kit aswell, and laughed when I saw it

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, spongebob toonpants said:

In the spirit of full disclosure and cleansing my soul I really like the Saudi change kit aswell, and laughed when I saw it

aye, anything that gets the mackems slobbering all over their keyboards makes me chuckle.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Pretty much where I am. The whole carry on with the HMRC building in Newcastle shows how closely connected to the Tories and the corrupt siphoning off of public money into offshore accounts the Reubens are. It fucking stinks. But is theirs and the Saudi’s money unwelcome to the area? Not so much imo, simply because the area needs it so we’ll have instead of it going elsewhere. thanks. And I’m still enjoying the football. Also the hypocrisy around our owners is purely borne out of us having more money than anyone else. Look at the easy ride Chelsea and City had (and still get, even Chelsea). 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 3

Tbh society is fucked and football is fucked. If this is my dividend from that situation then fine. I'm bored thinking about it and talking about it.

My gas/electric bill is going to be about five grand and I could do with something to enjoy.

Are the Saudis/Reubens/Mandy dialectically opposed to my core beliefs? Yes

• Like 5

Tbf we require less mental gymnastics than the average gammon when it comes to the Saudis. And Leazes is probably in a straight jacket at this point

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Exactly where I am, with a particular emphasis on the part in bold - with the exception of the fact that neither do any of those on the part of the people attacking the club either, with the possible exception of amnesty international. No one commenting on this from within football gives a fuck about the actual realities of this. They don't care about Yemen, they don't care about treatment of women, they don't care about journalists and political dissidents. All they care about is that it didn't happen to their club.

For my attempt at the mental gymnastics though, I have arrived at this: if I ever had to vote for this country to stop funding atrocities around the world through willfully co-operating with these sorts of regimes, I would. 100% guaranteed. But while that's not on the paper, I am not going to take one for the team and stop following my football club in an act that will achieve precisely fuck all, and which against a backdrop of complete lack of action on the real issues anywhere else, would only be handing benefit to other despotic, rich psychopaths who happen to back other football clubs. Given that this is presently an 'evil prevails' situation no matter which way the benefit goes, I'm just going to keep supporting my fucking football club.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1