Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

16 minutes ago, Howay said:

I mean they’d have to be willing to take on the absolute shit storm that comes with calling a key trading ally with the Government not fit to buy a club. That’s a fucking massive stance. The little note from the Government the other day was the first hint/nudge that points to that. Nothing new I’m saying here I know, I just feel it’s always worth mentioning when outlets like the Guardian seem to gloss over that absolutely massive factor. 

If that report doesn’t provide a completely clear link between BeoutQ and the main stakeholders subject to the O & D test, that would legally stand up in court, then I don’t see how they can reject it and have that rejection be sustained. If the report is saying they didn’t do enough to prosecute those responsible for the now shut down organization I really don’t see that being anywhere near enough. 

The PL need to pull their fucking fingers out and just make a fucking decision as soon as possible. It’s shambolic that it has went on this long. 

This

Fuck project restart and all that.  They have enough fucking resources etc.  It's a whole fucking shit show.

• Like 1

Seems like a lot journalists are trying to make it into a bombshell because that’s a better story rather because of the facts. Guaranteed at least half of them either haven’t read it or don’t understand it. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

This

Fuck project restart and all that.  They have enough fucking resources etc.  It's a whole fucking shit show.

Your blood pressure must be through the roof 

• Haha 1

The report doesn’t even conclude that Saudi entities are behind BeOutQ but only that there is prima facie evidence, meaning that at a first glance it looks like being operated from Saudi territory, and therefore should have been subject to Saudi investigation and litigation. 

• Like 2

Surely they can also appreciate that Saudi Arabia and Qatar have a terrible relationship and have been putting embargo’s etc on each other, that would make a request which seems simple (such as Bein using Saudi courts to attack BeoutQ) very difficult. 

25 minutes ago, Howay said:

Surely they can also appreciate that Saudi Arabia and Qatar have a terrible relationship and have been putting embargo’s etc on each other, that would make a request which seems simple (such as Bein using Saudi courts to attack BeoutQ) very difficult. 

That's exactly what the Saudis said and my reading was that it was accepted for the Qataris hiring lawyers but it was rejected as a reason for them not to prosecute BeOutQ themselves. 

• Like 1

Doesn’t sound like a confident reaction to today’s outcome from bein

NEW: BeIN respond to WTO ruling

This from the Financial Times. 

"These are not allegations,” said Sophie Jordan, general counsel at beIN Media Group. “This is a decision from one of the most important international tribunals.

and

David Sugden, director of corporate affairs at beIN Media Group.“The next cycle of rights we will not bid anything near what we currently [pay],” he said, adding that if Saudi Arabia secured a place at English football’s top table, that would be “letting the fox into the henhouse”.

It adds that BeIN will 'reconsider' bidding for the TV rights if the takeover goes ahead despite the WTO ruling.

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Doesn’t sound like a confident reaction to today’s outcome from bein

NEW: BeIN respond to WTO ruling

This from the Financial Times. 

"These are not allegations,” said Sophie Jordan, general counsel at beIN Media Group. “This is a decision from one of the most important international tribunals.

and

David Sugden, director of corporate affairs at beIN Media Group.“The next cycle of rights we will not bid anything near what we currently [pay],” he said, adding that if Saudi Arabia secured a place at English football’s top table, that would be “letting the fox into the henhouse”.

It adds that BeIN will 'reconsider' bidding for the TV rights if the takeover goes ahead despite the WTO ruling.

Does Bein have a product without PL football? I know they have other rights but the PL has to be the crown in the jewel. I think the only thing worse for them than the Saudis stealing their coverage is the Saudis bidding against them next time.

• Like 1

I doubt that'll fly with the PL - all that really needs to happen is for the Saudis to say that they'll take it instead, pay at least what BeIN was paying, and then they have the kudos of a PL team whilst also have control of coverage across the Middle East.

The PL will be guided by profit first and foremost.

• Like 2

:lol: Agreed Rayvin, that’s a ballsy move by Bein, I suppose it’s their last roll of the dice to just threaten the PL since they’ve exhausted other options. 

I also agree with ewerk that if they lose the PL rights they’re sort of fucked anyway, so their threat is nothing more than a bluff tbh. The Saudi Arabians will buy the rights if the deal goes through, the PL profits from this, I can’t see the PL backing down to Bein on this one as it would also set a bad precedent. 

Edited by Howay

16 minutes ago, NJS said:

I think they have the rights to the German league and the uefa comps as well. Maybe a couple of others. 

I that no they have all major TV sports rights for the MENA region which does make it geopolitically difficult. They are allowed to cover regions who do not trade with them. That is the downside to sell rights to regions. If people are prevented from a product they will try to obtain it illegally.

We will probably see the retaliation in a couple of years in case a Saudi TV station does obtain the rights and Qataris are prevented from watching football...

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

They definitely have a lot of rights.

Ive learned that through years of illegal streaming :) 

That’s it, there is a big market for illegal streams all over the world because people want to watch matches no national broadcaster does show or if they don’t fancy the national broadcaster like almost every Irish pub in Europe who are in possession of a British Sky box. But as the UK isn’t at war with theorist of Europe yet, nobody does make a big fuzz out of it.

I still think it's an out of date model - the absence of Internet streaming rights is a huge omission - though the Amazon prime thing has promise. 

Team season tickets for all matches is still the way forward for legality imo. 

• Tom changed the title to Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official