Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

I think that everything will boil down to how successful PIF will be in convincing that they are an individual legal entity of the Saudi state that can't be hold responsible for the wrongdoing of other institutions of the state. Either that or they do find another way to compensate the league for wrong actions in the past. But I seriously fear that the takeover will be rejected.

is anyone really that bothered? i mean, it'd be great fun to do a man city and buy the title, i'm sure. but the thought of being owned by the saudis is a bit icky. 

the big positive is the fat cunt finally wants out, so even if this thing does collapse, we can still hopefully look forward to a future without him

29 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

is anyone really that bothered? i mean, it'd be great fun to do a man city and buy the title, i'm sure. but the thought of being owned by the saudis is a bit icky. 

the big positive is the fat cunt finally wants out, so even if this thing does collapse, we can still hopefully look forward to a future without him

If this is you saying your ITK has said it’s off, I demand clarity.

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

If this is you saying your ITK has said it’s off, I demand clarity.

No, not off, but I’m definitely less confident it’s happening after speaking to him this week, compared to previously 

I worry about how long it has taken without a doubt. Raab’s comments, not so much. It’s not like the likes of him publicly say what they privately think on this or almost anything else. I think the PL just need to make a decision now though. The fact they haven’t suggests maybe things are still being negotiated 

2 hours ago, Howay said:

Edwards currently doing cartwheels around his house buzzing to get some negative news on this. 

Its a nothing story (again), basically the cunts at BeIn hired a lawyer who came up with a legal opinion that aligns with their point of view. Fuck off, just further proof no one knows what the PL are going to do.

Edited by tooner
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Howay said:

Edwards currently doing cartwheels around his house buzzing to get some negative news on this. 

He is on a constant windup but can’t take any criticism. He is annoying as fuck and does make CT look a great ”guy“.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Isegrim said:

I think that everything will boil down to how successful PIF will be in convincing that they are an individual legal entity of the Saudi state that can't be hold responsible for the wrongdoing of other institutions of the state. Either that or they do find another way to compensate the league for wrong actions in the past. But I seriously fear that the takeover will be rejected.

What’s your basis for fearing it will be rejected?

It's a strange one. When I look at this deal in a cold-blooded, logical fashion, I am certain that the decision to approve this deal was made by the Premier League long ago. This is because the legal basis to block the deal seems infinitely flimsy at best and non-existent at worst, and the benefits of this deal to the Premier League and English football infinitely outweigh the downsides. Richard Masters has been a sales and marketing guy within the Premier League for many years, so there is no-one better placed than he to understand the benefits of foreign investment into the Premier League.

Some time ago, I considered that between the end of this week to next week would be when the deal was officially approved. This is because from a PR management viewpoint the media fallout of the announcement had to be managed, and the best place for this is buried at the beginning of Project Restart, avoiding it being fed any additional momentum by the WTO ruling occurring after its announcement, and burning out before the summer transfer window.

The actions of beIN Sports this week have reasserted this thinking; of course as major stakeholders, the Premier League will have been treating beIN Sports extremely courteously during this takeover and giving them gracious thank yous every time they volunteered their generous help with the investigation. beIN's startling upscaling of aggression in the past week is a Qatari trademark indication that things are not going their way at all however. Paying for a QC's report backing their view to be the sent to the Premier League epitomises this, and gives an indication as to what the Premier League may have hinted to beIN about their own thinking for the legal basis of blocking the deal.

That is my logical viewpoint, but the paranoia that keeps nagging me is that we are in particularly emotional times. Will Richard Masters and co. find the calling of the media-created "People's Champion" option irresistible - reject the deal, ignore the long-term drawbacks, receive the temporary faux-adulation of beIN, Fifa, Uefa, rival league associations, the British media et al.? I seriously doubt the Premier League are so stupid.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Burb said:

What’s your basis for fearing it will be rejected?

It's a strange one. When I look at this deal in a cold-blooded, logical fashion, I am certain that the decision to approve this deal was made by the Premier League long ago. This is because the legal basis to block the deal seems infinitely flimsy at best and non-existent at worst, and the benefits of this deal to the Premier League and English football infinitely outweigh the downsides. Richard Masters has been a sales and marketing guy within the Premier League for many years, so there is no-one better placed than he to understand the benefits of foreign investment into the Premier League.

Some time ago, I considered that between the end of this week to next week would be when the deal was officially approved. This is because from a PR management viewpoint the media fallout of the announcement had to be managed, and the best place for this is buried at the beginning of Project Restart, avoiding it being fed any additional momentum by the WTO ruling occurring after its announcement, and burning out before the summer transfer window.

The actions of beIN Sports this week have reasserted this thinking; of course as major stakeholders, the Premier League will have been treating beIN Sports extremely courteously during this takeover and giving them gracious thank yous every time they volunteered their generous help with the investigation. beIN's startling upscaling of aggression in the past week is a Qatari trademark indication that things are not going their way at all however. Paying for a QC's report backing their view to be the sent to the Premier League epitomises this, and gives an indication as to what the Premier League may have hinted to beIN about their own thinking for the legal basis of blocking the deal.

That is my logical viewpoint, but the paranoia that keeps nagging me is that we are in particularly emotional times. Will Richard Masters and co. find the calling of the media-created "People's Champion" option irresistible - reject the deal, ignore the long-term drawbacks, receive the temporary faux-adulation of beIN, Fifa, Uefa, rival league associations, the British media et al.? I seriously doubt the Premier League are so stupid.

Broadly agree with this. I just don't see the actual legal basis to reject it by their own standards unless they are stating that sovereign wealth funds represent the crimes of the state that they represent. And if that's true, then I think Qatar would have failed also.

In the end it's probably gotten too big now to just be in the hands of the PL though.

On 14/06/2020 at 10:50, Christmas Tree said:

If anyone had any lingering doubt about this not happening, when you get to the stage where Marr is asking the head of the WTO about Newcastle United...  

Premier league simply waiting for the report as cover to say no. :(

Well with every hour that has passed since the WTO report I now find myself getting more and more hopeful that this could go through.

I would have thought yesterday would have been an ideal time for the premier league to knock it back, knowing the football worlds immediate attention would have been on the two matches last night.

Now I’m reading stuff on Twitter (don’t know if true), that Bein are advertising their services are now available in Saudi.

Could there be some kiss and make up deal behind the scenes?

Ive tried so often to ignore as much as possible to do with this but now find myself clinging to the possibility that it’s going to happen.

Other than crossing the t’s and dotting the i’s, what else, after all this time would be holding it up?

:pray: 

1 hour ago, Isegrim said:

Apparently it’s not new, been theoretically available.

Ah well, I didn’t think there was much in it anyway. I had thought the block worked on both sides which is why I thought Bein wouldn’t have been able to sell in Saudi Arabia. 

They’re not going to make up over this, if anything the way the Qataris have fought this will make the relationship worse between the two. 

Edited by Howay

3 hours ago, Howay said:

Ah well, I didn’t think there was much in it anyway. I had thought the block worked on both sides which is why I thought Bein wouldn’t have been able to sell in Saudi Arabia. 

They’re not going to make up over this, if anything the way the Qataris have fought this will make the relationship worse between the two. 

I must say I thought that was the issue as well - i.e. you won't let us see the footie due to the fact that we say you support terrorists, so we are going to hijack it anyway.

6 hours ago, Howay said:

bein won’t let this Rest as long as they have to fear losing the most lucrative tv rights which would threaten their business model.

You would have thought that Saudi Arabia would have been a lot more vocal if they were about to lose this. Qatar have barely shut up for several weeks and we've heard almost nothing from the other side.

• Tom changed the title to Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official