Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

its official #Cans #Jimbo's telly

I've spent many a workday researching CHAPS.

I'm at the ground. Staveley just came out and held up Bruce's head. 

Posted Images

Luke Edwards back on it again this morning. Chastising people for not being keen on an American buyer who is supposedly bidding £50m over the accepted bid, in a bid that would only go through if the lower bid collapses, a man with a net worth of supposedly only twice what he’s bidding, and has been investigated by the FBI for his business practices. Obviously the Saudis come with baggage, but at least we know they have money and their bid didn’t come in at a highly suspect time. It was almost as if his bid was waiting for the outcome of the WTO report, so that if it was more along the lines of what the Qataris wanted to hear his bid wouldn’t have been made. I genuinely hope Luke is trolling because I worry for him if he doesn’t seem to grasp why people would be more worried about a Henry Mauriss type bidder than the PiF, it’s very possible this bloke could be worse for the club than Ashley. 

19 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

What does ITK Gloom dog say?

just caught up with him. he says a strict interpretation of the rules suggests it could be blocked and there's enough political cover now if the PL decides that's what it wants to do.

but it would still spark a massive diplomatic incident, which the uk government doesn't want.

and money talks.

basically, his message hasn't changed. he still thinks it's going to happen, but that for the first time there's a decent outside chance that it won't. i pressed him about how much longer this could run, but he's in the dark there as much as the rest of us. 

it's a muted willy wave at this stage - nothing too exuberant. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

Edwards is the CT of hack journalism.

The Saudi response to the WTO finding are quite humorous, and tantamount to "We win against those violent savages".

"A World Trade Organization (WTO) dispute panel released its report Tuesday ruling against Qatar, and finding that Saudi Arabia’s national security defence was justified under WTO rules.

The WTO panel acknowledged that Saudi Arabia “seeks to protect Saudi citizens and the Saudi population, Saudi government institutions, and the territory of Saudi Arabia from the threats of terrorism and extremism” raised by Qatar in the region.

The panel also found that Saudi Arabia's comprehensive actions were “taken in time of… other emergency in international relations,” based on extensive evidence presented to the WTO tribunal by Saudi Arabia regarding Qatar's violations of regional agreements and commitments to renounce support for violence and unrest in the region.

Saudi Arabia also confirmed to the panel that it provides strong protection of intellectual property rights, including criminal procedures and penalties in cases where credible evidence is available to the Government to support the initiation of proceedings.

In addition to accepting Saudi Arabia’s national security defence, the panel rejected Qatar’s remaining claims that Saudi law violated WTO rules, and rejected claims that the Saudi government supported the alleged copyright piracy. Out of six claims by Qatar, the panel’s single finding regarding criminal proceedings was rendered moot in the course of the WTO dispute.

Saudi Arabia has a strong record of protecting intellectual property and is committed to applying its national law and procedures in full conformity with WTO rules.

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will spare no effort to overcome the threats of terrorism and extremism, and Saudi Arabia is pleased that the Panel recognized its sovereign rights in this regard."

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

just caught up with him. he says a strict interpretation of the rules suggests it could be blocked and there's enough political cover now if the PL decides that's what it wants to do.

but it would still spark a massive diplomatic incident, which the uk government doesn't want.

and money talks.

basically, his message hasn't changed. he still thinks it's going to happen, but that for the first time there's a decent outside chance that it won't. i pressed him about how much longer this could run, but he's in the dark there as much as the rest of us. 

it's a muted willy wave at this stage - nothing too exuberant. 

Cheers

Back to pissing my knickers again then 

3 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Cheers

Back to pissing my knickers again then 

it's a massive story if it goes through, given the controversy surrounding it. 

still think an even bigger story with an even bigger fallout if it is blocked 

Maybe I'm being overly cynical but it does seem strange that Bein Sports are dead set against this deal with the Saudis and the other interested bid happens to be from a man who runs a television distribution service.

I mean, if I were CEO of a television distribution service planning to expand into MENA then I'd certainly like to have Bein Media's content on my platform.

Edited by ewerk
12 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

it's a massive story if it goes through, given the controversy surrounding it. 

still think an even bigger story with an even bigger fallout if it is blocked 

Fat Ashley should be leaning on the government and getting help

'Well if this doesnt go through, that's several thousand jobs at risk in my stores you see'

37 minutes ago, Howay said:

Luke Edwards back on it again this morning. Chastising people for not being keen on an American buyer who is supposedly bidding £50m over the accepted bid, in a bid that would only go through if the lower bid collapses, a man with a net worth of supposedly only twice what he’s bidding, and has been investigated by the FBI for his business practices. Obviously the Saudis come with baggage, but at least we know they have money and their bid didn’t come in at a highly suspect time. It was almost as if his bid was waiting for the outcome of the WTO report, so that if it was more along the lines of what the Qataris wanted to hear his bid wouldn’t have been made. I genuinely hope Luke is trolling because I worry for him if he doesn’t seem to grasp why people would be more worried about a Henry Mauriss type bidder than the PiF, it’s very possible this bloke could be worse for the club than Ashley. 

Aye I thought Edwards had allowed his emotions to get the better of him recently, he's had a twisted view of us for a while but still there have been stupider journos out there. This puts him right up there with thickest of them though. 

• Like 1

Would it actually be worse for beIN and the Premier League, FIFA etc if KSA are prevented from completing the purchase? Surely that would encourage rather than curb piracy there?

If they were to own the club they would at least have their own interest and solid motivation for establishing a legitimate anti-piracy stance, even against their sworn enemies?

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, trooper said:

Is there not supposed to exclusivity between NUFC & the Stavely deal ?

There is. Which is why this announcement looks suspiciously like a ploy to influence the PL into vetoing the Saudi deal thinking that there's someone else prepared to come along and buy us.

An American business man supposedly offers 50 million over the agreed price, and where has Ashley been these past few months, Miami. Mauriss is likely somebody that Ashley has met while he was there, and he wants to do business with him that's unrelated to the club. Then Fatley has perhaps asked him to go through some motions to make it look like he's interested in buying the club, in exchange for Ashley sweetening a separate business deal they've cooked up. Pure speculation of course, but it makes a lot more sense than the reality.

1 hour ago, Howay said:

You can almost smell the drink every time he tweets at the minute 

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Howay said:

Presumably hoping that Brewcie will keep his job with this American Ashley.

I may be wrong, but hasn't this so-called bid been talked about for weeks?  Why has it suddenly got more prominence?  As someone said, Stinking Bishop is around.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Isegrim said:

As the buyers had to pay a hefty non refundable deposit I can’t see them quietly accepting a negative outcome. Hopefully the PL will want to avoid it being brought to the courts.

But according to Ashley and his acolytes, these people are so rich they don't need to worry about a measly £17m!

1 hour ago, aimaad22 said:

They dont, it'll be the embarrassment more than the money if they decide to go after the PL.

Agreed, the loss of face would be unconscionable to any man in the street arab let alone a royal house. 

They’d pursue it whatever the cost. 

I really can’t see any plausible justification to delay a decision any longer. There don’t seem to be any facts that are new. Even the report of the WTO doesn’t contain anything that wasn’t already known to the PL. Not making a decision only creates further public frenzy that doesn’t help anybody.

It is fair enough that Bein wants to protect its rights and business, especially having to fear losing lucrative rights to Saudi Arabia in the future, but they had their say and should seriously be told to shut up as they are not directly involved in the decision making.

• Like 2
  • Tom changed the title to Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official