Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

Newcastle may be desperate for glory, but so are others

AMID all the hullabaloo about Newcastle United’s takeover by the Saudi Arabian sovereign wealth fund, there was an underlying feeling the club’s fans were entitled to celebrate the transaction because they had waited so long for success. It is true that Newcastle have gone 52 years without any form of silverware, but they are not alone in being an underachieving club. Certainly, nobody should be using the phrase, “they deserve this because they want it so much”, a throwaway rolled-out by TV “talent” shows full of weeping wannabes and hyberbole.

For example, in the current Premier League, there are four clubs (Brentford, Brighton, Crystal Palace and Watford) who have never won a single major trophy. Burnley have waited the longest, 61 years since they won the league title. Then there’s West Ham and Wolverhampton Wanderers, who have gone 41 without a trophy on their boardroom table.

In Germany, exactly half of the 18-team Bundesliga have never won a trophy, while poor old Hertha Berlin have gone 90 years without a sniff of silverware. It was 1931 when they were last champions of Germany. Among the owners of barren trophy cabinets are RB Leipzig, who despite being in contention for honours, have yet to break their duck.

Only four clubs from Italy’s Serie A have never won a cup, but there’s a lot who have been waiting for what must seem like an eternity. Udinese (91 years), Genoa (84), Venezia (80) and Atalanta (58) are all among the most patient of clubs.

Nine clubs from La Liga are potless, while Athletic Bilbao have waited the longest among the past winners, some 37 years. Interestingly, seven teams have lifted trophies in the past three seasons from Spain, highlighting their strength in European competition.

France, despite the dominance of Paris Saint-Germain, has only five Ligue 1 teams who have never won a bean. Eleven clubs have won something since 2001. Of those that can look back on past glory, Reims have been waiting longest – 30 years.

The top 10 most patient clubs

Last trophyYears

Udinese1930 91

Hertha Berlin1931 90

Genoa1937 84

Venezia1941 80

Burnley1960 61

Atalanta1963 58

Newcastle Utd1969 52

Cagliari1970 51

Bologna1974 47

Southampton1976 45

https://gameofthepeople.com/2021/10/13/newcastle-may-be-desperate-for-glory-but-so-are-others/

Is anyone saying we deserve a trophy? From what I can tell most people are overjoyed to be shot of Ashley and are looking forward

to some serious investment in the club and some ambition

1 hour ago, ohhh_yeah said:

Luke Edwards receiving death threats on the twatter.

Sad to say but it is honestly non-news. At this point I feel like you're in the minority on the internet if you haven't had someone threaten to kill you or tell you to kill yourself.

Its something that is worth having something done about it, but its presence online isn't remarkable anymore tbh.

Its like the tea towels and Saudi flags being pointed out as "Newcastle fans" behaving terribly or whatever, completely bypassing the fact that there has never been a decent sized gathering of people that hasn't had some of those people being sort of stupid in some way and when you choose to lump "Newcastle fans" or whatever together when you point that out you are setting up for nothing but defensiveness and a subsection leaning hard the other way, hence some of our fans actually going as far as waving the flags and defending the Saudi state etc.

For all those commenting on the state of the takeover, or the state of us, they know this really and the smart ones choose to ignore it for views, or retweets or clout or whatever and it simply doesn't occur to the stupid tribal ones who actually don't care about Saudi womens rights but heard someone say it and want to beat opposing fans with something out of fairly normal football tribalism.

All of its just a load of horseshit, not one bit of coverage that has been in that vein has been remotely interesting or worth anything more than being batted away like Michael Martin did to Nicky Campbell the other day.

Bloody hell I've perhaps become a bit cynical :razz: 

• Like 3

We will be old news soon enough. The takeover has just given the 24hr Twitter feeds and rolling news channels something to talk about all day every day.

They will be onto the Sigurdsson and Mendy court cases before long and we can look forward to news reports about all footballers being sex offenders instead 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Andrew said:

Sad to say but it is honestly non-news. At this point I feel like you're in the minority on the internet if you haven't had someone threaten to kill you or tell you to kill yourself.

Its something that is worth having something done about it, but its presence online isn't remarkable anymore tbh.

Its like the tea towels and Saudi flags being pointed out as "Newcastle fans" behaving terribly or whatever, completely bypassing the fact that there has never been a decent sized gathering of people that hasn't had some of those people being sort of stupid in some way and when you choose to lump "Newcastle fans" or whatever together when you point that out you are setting up for nothing but defensiveness and a subsection leaning hard the other way, hence some of our fans actually going as far as waving the flags and defending the Saudi state etc.

For all those commenting on the state of the takeover, or the state of us, they know this really and the smart ones choose to ignore it for views, or retweets or clout or whatever and it simply doesn't occur to the stupid tribal ones who actually don't care about Saudi womens rights but heard someone say it and want to beat opposing fans with something out of fairly normal football tribalism.

All of its just a load of horseshit, not one bit of coverage that has been in that vein has been remotely interesting or worth anything more than being batted away like Michael Martin did to Nicky Campbell the other day.

Also, he’s now got something to constantly refer to whenever any Newcastle fans give him a bit of stick. 
He’ll have been on his vinegar stroke before he’d even finished reading it. 
Cheeky Nando’s and bottle of wine to celebrate. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andrew said:

The other thing is, and no one on here would condone the death threats, that he does seem to go out of his way to wind up a large proportion of the fan base. They’re almost certainly empty threats anyway and he’ll try and use them to his advantage. He’s a fucking strange one like. I think a lot of his behaviour stems from his wanting to look like he knows everything going on behind the scenes. In reality he’s relied on what Bruce knows. The latter being seemingly largely disinterested in the takeover and unable to comprehend what crumbs of info he got from Penfold and Ashley. And Edwards was even saying in the wake of the court hearing that separation between PIF and the state was still a huge stumbling block, so he clearly didn’t have the inside track even in the last couple of weeks 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Alex said:

The other thing is, and no one on here would condone the death threats, that he does seem to go out of his way to wind up a large proportion of the fan base. They’re almost certainly empty threats anyway and he’ll try and use them to his advantage. He’s a fucking strange one like. I think a lot of his behaviour stems from his wanting to look like he knows everything going on behind the scenes. In reality he’s relied on what Bruce knows. The latter being seemingly largely disinterested in the takeover and unable to comprehend what crumbs of info he got from Penfold and Ashley. And Edwards was even saying in the wake of the court hearing that separation between PIF and the state was still a huge stumbling block, so he clearly didn’t have the inside track even in the last couple of weeks 

Threats like this are vile and even Edward’s don’t deserve them. But he’s certainly done his part in antagonising supporters. He’s not just tried to give a different perspective but he has beenndoing so with less than subtle attempts to wind up people.

• Like 3

It's not really a threat though is it?  I'm not for one moment condonding what that tosser said, but what he's actually done is said that if you belive what you've suggested the Saudi's have done to journalists, you should be careful what you say or they might do it to you.  I mean this kid who's probably sat in his mams bedroom has absolutely no say in what they do so he can't influence anyone to kill a reporter.  Yes he's a prick and should probably get a twitter ban, and yes despite Edwards being a prick, he shouldn't be getting shit like this.  But to suggest that there's been a death threat a definitely pushing it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

It's not really a threat though is it?  I'm not for one moment condonding what that tosser said, but what he's actually done is said that if you belive what you've suggested the Saudi's have done to journalists, you should be careful what you say or they might do it to you.  I mean this kid who's probably sat in his mams bedroom has absolutely no say in what they do so he can't influence anyone to kill a reporter.  Yes he's a prick and should probably get a twitter ban, and yes despite Edwards being a prick, he shouldn't be getting shit like this.  But to suggest that there's been a death threat a definitely pushing it.

I almost wrote this myself but decided I've made enough inflammatory statements on here recently. It's not a threat. It's poor taste, it's servile as fuck to use "His Excellency" FFS, but it's not a fucking threat. If anything it implies that the guy making the tweet doesn't think the Saudis do murder journalists.

I don't give a shit if they call it a threat though in order to take action, cos the guy who posted it is a complete weapon. But as far as Edwards is concerned, he's making as much out of it as he possibly can.

Just now, Rayvin said:

I almost wrote this myself but decided I've made enough inflammatory statements on here recently. It's not a threat. It's poor taste, it's servile as fuck to use "His Excellency" FFS, but it's not a fucking threat. If anything it implies that the guy making the tweet doesn't think the Saudis do murder journalists.

I don't give a shit if they call it a threat though in order to take action, cos the guy who posted it is a complete weapon. But as far as Edwards is concerned, he's making as much out of it as he possibly can.

Yeah I seen Edwards tweet first thing this mornnig and this was exactly my take.  But I did hold back on voicing it at first because I didn't want to be thought of as conding the original tweet or the person posting it (although I can't say I've ever noticed him before) in any way.

I'm certainly against pandering to the Saudi's in any way such as this, flag waving or fancy dress.  Mind I'm also against fancy dress is general!

• Like 1

Klopp first manager to moan.  Who would have thought.

I was waiting for official statements from Richard Masters because obviously there are concerns about human rights, that is obvious. What will it mean for football? A few months we had an issue with clubs building a Super League, and rightly so. But this is building a super team, guaranteed places in the Champions League in a few years. Newcastle fans will love it, but money doesn't buy success. They have money to make mistakes, but they will be where they want eventually."

We had an issue with clubs building a Super League.  Remind me which teams were involved in that.  Cock.

Edited by wykikitoon
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Klopp first manager to moan.  Who would have thought.

We had an issue with clubs building a Super League.  Remind me which teams were involved in that.  Cock.

As some on BBC Sport pointed out. Liverpool have just opened an academy in China, where were his concerns about human rights then?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

Absolutely superb podcast here. Interview with a guy called @duncancastles who is very well informed about what is going on now and what the actual plans are going forward.

https://t.co/vnW9O1y7x7

Is this the week we can say CT has finally got the hang of this podcast recommendation lark? :good:

:CT:

(You didn't think you were getting away with the CT emoji, did you?) 

• Haha 3

Moral hypocrisy and sanctimony seem to be a common German trait, but perhaps that goofy looking twat Klopp has just soured me to them. I had to laugh the other day when another German coach, who's name escapes me, was talking about the takeover and said something along the lines of Germany, and not just German football, having always been morally consistent. Always? 

Edit. I watched the Klopp interview and it's not really that bad, although he's still a bit of a hypocrite given his equivocations on behalf of the Liverpool owners at the time of the super league debacle, and now as someone said they are opening an academy in China. And obviously he's just generally a moany prick. The other German coach I mentioned was much more egregious in the way he was going on about it. 

Edited by Polarboy