Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I dunno like, that instant denial feels like a guilty conscience. I'll get my assistant, CT, to audit your November posts when he gets back from his sex holiday. 

I think my view was it would be very tough (wrong) but that there were a few factors which gave me optimism. The amount of time, our not being set adrift despite not managing a league win, the upcoming transfer window and the bar for staying up likely to be pretty low given how poor 3 or 4 other teams were 

• Like 1

I just looked at how incapable all the teams around us were of picking points up, and the fact that we were never more than a few points from getting out of it. That, the fact that it was still only about a third of the way through the season, the new manager, and the transfer window to come. 

Burnley are 4 points adrift with 7 to play and I wouldn't rule them out being ahead of Everton by the end of the season. The idea that it was over before Christmas ("we haven't won our must wins!") was always daft. 

16 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

BTW there were some on here saying the same thing as Sherwood back in NOVEMBER. 

How DARE you come with that patter! 

CT was saying it 2 weeks ago 

Just now, wykikitoon said:

What a cunt Richards is

I don't mind him tbf. I think the laugh is often exaggerated but I don't think he's a cunt. There's far worse pundits out there than him by a long shot. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I just looked at how incapable all the teams around us were of picking points up, and the fact that we were never more than a few points from getting out of it. That, the fact that it was still only about a third of the way through the season, the new manager, and the transfer window to come. 

Burnley are 4 points adrift with 7 to play and I wouldn't rule them out being ahead of Everton by the end of the season. The idea that it was over before Christmas ("we haven't won our must wins!") was always daft. 

i mean you say that now, and fair play for remaining confident when many of us were resigned to relegation, but it looked very bleak until more than half way through the season. in mid january things looked fucking terrible; 6 points adrift, no new manager bounce, players still playing with fear, stats/history against us, no sign of looking capable of going on the kind of run that saved our season. 

the leeds result was the turning point but it wasn't until after the everton /villa results that i started to believe we might get out of it. 

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I think a lot of people thought that about the Brentford game (must win) but being there gave me hope. Obviously the defensive frailties were there and it was a ‘winnable’ match but there were lots of positives too. Not trying to say I was right, I’m so clever etc. Because I could totally see why people were downcast about our chances. I also think the Ashley years had generally made people expect the worst. There was also that nagging feeling that becoming the richest club in the world and getting relegated in the same season could only happen to NUFC 

• Like 1

The Joelinton comment is absurd mind :lol:. “Yeah he’s had a good game but they bought him as a centre forward” erm but he looked good there right? I know it’s rare to have that type of position change but it happens a lot in other ways, does he apply that logic to Bale? “Yeah he looked good on the wing but he was supposed to be a left back”. 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Craig said:

I don't mind him tbf. I think the laugh is often exaggerated but I don't think he's a cunt. There's far worse pundits out there than him by a long shot. 

You think?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think a lot of people thought that about the Brentford game (must win) but being there gave me hope. Obviously the defensive frailties were there and it was a ‘winnable’ match but there were lots of positives too. Not trying to say I was right, I’m so clever etc. Because I could totally see why people were downcast about our chances. I also think the Ashley years had generally made people expect the worst. There was also that nagging feeling that becoming the richest club in the world and getting relegated in the same season could only happen to NUFC 

I absolutely am trying to say that I was right and very fucking clever. Unlike Dr Gloom who STILL wants to justify his VERY

tenor.gif

and very

tenor.gif

position. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

I absolutely am trying to say that I was right and very fucking clever. Unlike Dr Gloom who STILL wants to justify his VERY

tenor.gif

and very

tenor.gif

position. 

Oh, I know you were saying that. :lol: 

• Haha 3

:lol:

I've seen more whimsical things published I suppose.

Next season we'll have to have a predictions thread, maybe a two parter - games to January, games to end of season. Overall too. Depends how invested people are in being right. Or knowing this place, more accurately, telling other people they were wrong :D 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

There was massive uncertainty due to the new manager and how our ability to attract the right players in the window . Fair play you flipped a coin, called heads and it came up. Honest & practical assessment suggested  we were down. No one has stayed up from the position we were in and the variables of new coach and transfer window made the whole thing look like a negative outcome. And this is Newcastle United, where we never find things easy. The improvement in the players Howe inherited has been bordering on miraculous. I don’t think even the most optimistic of us could see that happening. It’s at least on par with what SBR did in 2000. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

There was massive uncertainty due to the new manager and how our ability to attract the right players in the window . Fair play you flipped a coin, called heads and it came up. Honest & practical assessment suggested  we were down. No one has stayed up from the position we were in and the variables of new coach and transfer window made the whole thing look like a negative outcome. And this is Newcastle United, where we never find things easy. The improvement in the players Howe inherited has been bordering on miraculous. I don’t think even the most optimistic of us could see that happening. It’s at least on par with what SBR did in 2000. 

That’s a long winded way to say you were completely wrong.

• Haha 6

As things were when Howe walked in we were down imo but it all depended on the signings being right and they absolutely were. Massive credit to the players already here as well who stepped up and as for Eddie, the job he's done shows up Bruce completely as those players that regressed with Bruce are now showing they're not as bad as was made out. 

• Like 5

I’m delighted to concede I was wrong. 

I’d also say that the consensus on this board in mid-January was relegation beckoned. Even fish was pessimistic at that point. Gemmill was very much the minority voice.  Makes the turnaround all the more impressive. We have been a completely different team since February 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, ewerk said:

That’s a long winded way to say you were completely wrong.

I’ve not spent the last six months constantly blathering on about it but yeah, I didn’t think there was a lot of hope and as I’ve outlined if an individual was super confident before last Christmas they were betting against all logical considerations. Gemmill is a jumped up smug smart arsed twat too, which has to be taken into consideration as well :cuppa:

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

tenor.gif

and very

tenor.gif

position. 

mother complain GIF

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Howay said:

The Joelinton comment is absurd mind :lol:. “Yeah he’s had a good game but they bought him as a centre forward” erm but he looked good there right? I know it’s rare to have that type of position change but it happens a lot in other ways, does he apply that logic to Bale? “Yeah he looked good on the wing but he was supposed to be a left back”. 

Thierry Henry as well. Bought as a winger but they wasted him as a striker. 

And Paul Warhurst for that matter who played in the very same Blackburn side as Tim Sherwood. What an utter tit!

• Like 3