Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

so sporting director and technical director - what's the difference? and should we be happy that he's been given the former rather than the latter title? 

i'm sure fish will be able to fill us in

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

so sporting director and technical director - what's the difference? and should we be happy that he's been given the former rather than the latter title? 

i'm sure fish will be able to fill us in

“Ashworth will be responsible for the club's overarching sporting strategy, football development and recruitment at all age levels, and will work closely with head coach Eddie Howe, academy manager Steve Harper and head of recruitment Steve Nickson.”

So I think Sporting Director is more that side of things, whereas Technical Director is more infrastructure of the club, like facilities etc. Bit of a guess going off that statement mind. 

Just now, Howay said:

“Ashworth will be responsible for the club's overarching sporting strategy, football development and recruitment at all age levels, and will work closely with head coach Eddie Howe, academy manager Steve Harper and head of recruitment Steve Nickson.”

So I think Sporting Director is more that side of things, whereas Technical Director is more infrastructure of the club, like facilities etc. Bit of a guess going off that statement mind. 

so not responsible for rebuilding SJP or moving to a new stadium, working on the academy site etc 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

so not responsible for rebuilding SJP or moving to a new stadium, working on the academy site etc 

Yeah, that’s my assumption from what the statement said. He’d be more involved with recruitment, policy, staffing with others in charge of planning and building stadium/training ground improvements. I assume he’d have input into what they need at the training ground though. 

My assumption is he'll have have overall responsibility for the following areas:

• Men's First Team
  • Women's First Team
  • Academy
  • Scouting
  • Transfers
  • Loan Management

Aspects such as Facilities, Commercial Management, etc. I imagine will fall under an MD role. 

33 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

perhaps amanda and crew want to be in charge of that side of things 

Tbh Ashworth will have enough in his plate without getting too heavily involved in all that stuff. Especially given that side of things requires a lot of work too

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Tbh Ashworth will have enough in his plate without getting too heavily involved in all that stuff. Especially given that side of things requires a lot of work too

yeah, it sounds like quite a lot for one role. though he was technical rather than sporting director at brighton.

either way, got to be better than lee charnley stealing a living in whatever his role was supposed to be. i think the nearest we ever got to a sporting director under ashley was joe kinnear 

10 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

yeah, it sounds like quite a lot for one role. though he was technical rather than sporting director at brighton.

either way, got to be better than lee charnley stealing a living in whatever his role was supposed to be. i think the nearest we ever got to a sporting director under ashley was joe kinnear 

Charnley had it tough using his 20 year old Texas Instruments calculator working out if it was cheaper to buy in domino’s and a 78 pack of carling instead of taking the lads to Sambuca’s at west moor for a 3 course happy hour special for the end of season do 

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Alex said:

Charnley had it tough using his 20 year old Texas Instruments calculator working out if it was cheaper to buy in domino’s and a 78 pack of carling instead of taking the lads to Sambuca’s at west moor for a 3 course happy hour special for the end of season do 

Honestly looking back that Sambuca team dinner is fucking hilarious. “You can have anything off the menu boys, just don’t add any bacon or cheese to anything as that’s an extra quid”. What a total cunt Ashley is :lol: 

Edited by Howay
  • Haha 4