Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

Some people suggesting the "relegation clause" could be worth nearly £100 million. That could be the shortfall of the tv revenue money £100 million in the Premiership as oppose to £5/6 million in the Championship.

Edited by trooper

The Michael Martin tweet got my attention first. But the Sky Sports running with the relegation clause still in place has got me thinking. If we were relegated ( i dont fancy it again) it would mean Amanda could potentially get the club for £200 million something the fat lad will never allow.

Relegation would mean we're a Championship club two seasons out of three, a yo yo club at best. Plus we wouldn't have Rafa at the helm next season. It would massively reduce our value.

Mike Ashley is a betting man though.

If it doesn't happen now he'll put a massive spin on it, he'll be back on Sky Sports  "they wanted me to gamble a£100 million on not going down. Now i like a flutter as you know but even that was too much for me" That way he paints Amanda & PCP as the bad guys he's an absolute b'stard i thought we eere going to be rid of him now im jot so sure.

12 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

So after all the optimism of the other day, we're back where we started again :lol: Impressive stuff.

I'm not, I'm plotting a steady course. And, as always, giggling at you lot lurching from mania to sorrow.

2 hours ago, trooper said:

The Michael Martin tweet got my attention first. But the Sky Sports running with the relegation clause still in place has got me thinking. If we were relegated ( i dont fancy it again) it would mean Amanda could potentially get the club for £200 million something the fat lad will never allow.

the deal does include a relegation clause where fatty has to pay her some comp, yes. 

37 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

So after all the optimism of the other day, we're back where we started again :lol: Impressive stuff.

nothing has changed. the deal is still close. 

it won't happen until after the window but ashley will release funds underwritten by stavley. and it will be sizeably more than the £15m including wages or whatever miserly amount he was prepared to throw in. 

22 minutes ago, ewerk said:

High interest rates for one.

Yeah but for the sake of ensuring safety, it's probably worth it. Ashley has made out that his constraint is available funds on a personal basis - but a high interest rate isn't worth getting relegated over. Hard to imagine Stavely being put off by it either.

9 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Yeah but for the sake of ensuring safety, it's probably worth it. Ashley has made out that his constraint is available funds on a personal basis - but a high interest rate isn't worth getting relegated over. Hard to imagine Stavely being put off by it either.

Aye but spending £30m of his own money safe in the knowledge that expenditure is covered by PCP, makes a lot more sense than gambling that the £30m of his own money would see some return in the future from success on the pitch, or in the transfer market? Surely?

Just now, The Fish said:

Aye but spending £30m of his own money safe in the knowledge that expenditure is covered by PCP, makes a lot more sense than gambling that the £30m of his own money would see some return in the future from success on the pitch, or in the transfer market? Surely?

I was thinking more that we may need to spend a higher amount than £30m tbh.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

I was thinking more that we may need to spend a higher amount than £30m tbh.

Fair enough, but the fact remains that whatever the sum is, it's underwritten by PCP. If he literally cannot stump up £50m or whatever, then I'm convinced there'll be ways that PCP can get the money they want to spend, to Benitez. Ways that do not include Ashley phoning Wonga for a loan.

The thing is though, gearing is actually a financially sound strategy. A bit awkward for PCP maybe given that they don't actually own the club yet, but if they can get a better return on £50m by investing it in a high yield business or stock, than they would lose by agreeing to an external loan for NUFC, then they would/should do it.

This is why loads of big companies take on debt. Their own money works harder for them elsewhere.

That said, maybe it's less appealing in football due to the volatility of what happens to club incomes due to relegations etc.

Edited by Rayvin

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

The thing is though, gearing is actually a financially sound strategy. A bit awkward for PCP maybe given that they don't actually own the club yet, but if they can get a better return on £50m by investing it in a high yield business or stock, than they would lose by agreeing to an external loan for NUFC, then they would/should do it.

This is why loads of big companies take on debt. Their own money works harder for them elsewhere.

That said, maybe it's less appealing in football due to the volatility of what happens to club incomes due to relegations etc.

There's the rub.

• Tom changed the title to Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official