Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I don’t expect to see him in the stands. I’m just struggling with the human rights record of the place the money is coming from. 

I get you, I'm sure it'll resolve itself in most minds though. At the end of the day we all hate Mike Ashley on a particularly intimate level but it'll still raise a smile for most when we win a game.

If anything, getting bought out and having the money thrown at us leading to success on the pitch and superstars in the team wouldn't be very "Newcastle" if there wasn't some sort of grubby self-loathing to make it feel not quite as good going on.

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

I get you, I'm sure it'll resolve itself in most minds though. At the end of the day we all hate Mike Ashley on a particularly intimate level but it'll still raise a smile for most when we win a game.

If anything, getting bought out and having the money thrown at us leading to success on the pitch and superstars in the team wouldn't be very "Newcastle" if there wasn't some sort of grubby self-loathing to make it feel not quite as good going on.

I’ll still watch, don’t get me wrong.

And I’m sure I’ll be just as fickle as most football fans when Salah, Ronaldo and mbappe fire us to champions league glory in a couple of seasons time. 

24 minutes ago, Tom said:

If he wanted to sell he would have sold ages ago. 

If he manages to fuck up an offer from the Saudi sovereign wealth fund worth $300bn then he’s never ever going to sell us.

• Like 1

I mean, being the face of Saudi Arabian football is fairly exciting if it happens. If you watch the behind the scenes documentary on Man City you can see they are a different level to us when it come to professionalism both on and off the pitch. Money pumped into the squad, training ground, stadium and city with a view to adding us to the top 6.

Ordanarily they would fail the fit and proper persons test, but give our government is in bed with the Saudis its all gravy 

12 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

There are no good billionaires. 

This. As far as I know, anyone who has managed to become a billionaire has done so through exploitation of a failing system and by standing on a great many others.

That being said, Saudi Arabia is a broadly deplorable country and almost on par with the USA in terms of general psychotic behaviour.

But whatever the situation here, this is football and not politics - they're gonna buy someone, it may as well be us.

Also, as a general point about Ashley here - a year (or was it two?) ago, he turned down £250m from Staveley, holding out for £300m. Now he's managing to sell for £340m to broadly the same people. He's played a long game here, presumably aware that their interest was serious, and has potentially made himself £90m for two years of patience.

I think he'll take it.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Also, as a general point about Ashley here - a year (or was it two?) ago, he turned down £250m from Staveley, holding out for £300m. Now he's managing to sell for £340m to broadly the same people. He's played a long game here, presumably aware that their interest was serious, and has potentially made himself £90m for two years of patience.

I think he'll take it.

Alright Jim Davidson :o 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

This. As far as I know, anyone who has managed to become a billionaire has done so through exploitation of a failing system and by standing on a great many others.

That being said, Saudi Arabia is a broadly deplorable country and almost on par with the USA in terms of general psychotic behaviour.

But whatever the situation here, this is football and not politics - they're gonna buy someone, it may as well be us.

What did Bill Gates ever do to anyone?

20 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Not to turn this into a politics debate, but that's a very one sided view. Over half of the income tax base in the UK is from the top 5% of earners. And while there is clear exploitation of minimum wage earners at companies like Amazon, they and other multinational companies also generate thousands of mid and high paying jobs. There are also people who've built their fortunes totally online in the digital space who you'd be hard pressed to seriously admonish morally for the clear premeditated exploitation of others. It's also seen as almost as a given that multi millionaires and billionaires engage in philanthropy. Obviously they can use charity work as a tax right off, but as long as the charity work is being done that's all that should matter. John Caudwell the owner of phones4U as far as I'm aware is decent example of a not "evil" billionaire. He's been incredibly dedicated to personally undertaking charity projects going on decades now.

Edit: Just read that Caudwell might be an antivaxxer, so I retract a portion of my praise. Not that admittedly dodgy views on vaccination should erase the amount of time and money he's put into charity work.

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Did he not steal Apple's GUI? :D

Admits himself he should have paid more tax than he has, etc.

He did but Apple stole it from Xerox 

10 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Not to turn this into a politics debate, but that's a very one sided view. Over half of the income tax base in the UK is from the top 5% of earners. And while there is clear exploitation of minimum wage earners at companies like Amazon, they and other multinational companies also generate thousands of mid and high paying jobs. There are also people who've built their fortunes totally online in the digital space who you'd be hard pressed to seriously admonish morally for the clear premeditated exploitation of others. It's also seen as almost as a given that multi millionaires and billionaires engage in philanthropy. Obviously they can use charity work as a tax right off, but as long as the charity work is being done that's all that should matter. John Caudwell the owner of phones4U as far as I'm aware is decent example of a not "evil" billionaire. He's been incredibly dedicated to personally undertaking charity projects going on decades now.

If they're paying the full extent of the state sanctioned taxes on top of the charity work, then I could come around to agreeing with you. No Cayman Isles, no fucking around with tax returns, just directly what they owe. If they aren't, then their charity work is just PR.

But let's not make this a politics thread - happy to have that discussion in the appropriate place but you're not going to change my rather extensive views on this with one off the cuff post ;)

I was broadly inferring that they've benefitted from a broken system rather than any personal implications anyway.

Edited by Rayvin

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

If they're paying the full extent of the state sanctioned taxes on top of the charity work, then I could come around to agreeing with you. No Cayman Isles, no fucking around with tax returns, just directly what they owe. If they aren't, then their charity work is just PR.

But let's not make this a politics thread - happy to have that discussion in the appropriate place but you're not going to change my rather extensive views on this with one off the cuff post ;)

I was broadly inferring that they've benefitted from a broken system rather than any personal implications anyway.

Well just to be clear I'm mostly arguing from a pragmatic standpoint in terms of what percentage of your tax base you can expect to be paid for by the top 5% of earners before they move their earnings elsewhere in a global economy. Caudwell pointed that out to John McDonnell in that pretty disastrous pre-election interview. But yeah we should probably put away the soap boxes :icon_lol: 

14 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

America is fucked up on many levels (guns/pro-life/religious nutters etc) and it has become more so under trump with the deplorable scenes on the Mexican border, but you’re going to have to explain how it is a more psychotic place than Saudi Arabia. 

Last time I checked the yanks weren’t stoning, lashing or beheading their citizens for crimes such as sorcery or apostasy, nor where they branding atheists terrorists. 

That said, the US, and the UK, help them carpet bomb kids in Yemen. We prop up a vile regime and will do so until the oil runs dry. So maybe it doesn’t matter  

• Like 1

Just judging it on how it plays out domestically isn’t really taking into  account the whole picture though. The US does far more harm than Saudi Arabia 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

America is fucked up on many levels (guns/pro-life/religious nutters etc) and it has become more so under trump with the deplorable scenes on the Mexican border, but you’re going to have to explain how it is a more psychotic place than Saudi Arabia. 

Last time I checked the yanks weren’t stoning, lashing or beheading their citizens for crimes such as sorcery or apostasy, nor where they branding atheists terrorists. 

That said, the US, and the UK, help them carpet bomb kids in Yemen. We prop up a vile regime and will do so until the oil runs dry. So maybe it doesn’t matter  

Let's not do this here :lol: 

• Tom changed the title to Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official