Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

I see both sides to this. I get why some choose to stay away, I get why some continue to go.

I still get to the odd game. Haven’t been this season and I’m in no rush to get tickets - not because I’ve taken the moral high ground against Ashley. Can’t stand the cunt as much as the next man. It’s just the football is so shite, the worst by far since McClarenb, and it all feels so rudderless since Rafa left, I can’t muster the enthusiasm to part with my cash or time.

Axing Rafa wasn’t the last straw for me, I’m sure I’ll go to the match again even if the fat cunt sticks around, but I get why it was for so many others. Rafa was holding it all together - there was some hope while he was in charge. Now it feels hopeless. 

Just for those that have forgotten, this is what SJP looked like just 11 years ago, so the season the fat cunt oversaw his first relegation as owner and before he turned the ground into his billboard.

49480225751_a51e063835_b.jpg

49480225786_3b2d381313_b.jpg

I've generally not had a dog in this fight but I've not been while Ashley has been here save for one game a couple of years back as a special occasion.

In the end, yes Ashley doesn't need the fans to make the club tick over. That's true. But it's not a good look for his brand if we stay away. And I do tend to believe that if ALL the fans stayed away for even just 3 or 4 games, the whole regime would fall apart. It would probably make world news ffs, such a stunning statement it would be.

I mean at some point Ashley has to accept that the purpose of the football club is to entertain. If the stadium has more away fans than home fans, it's hardly living up to that. Players would find it challenging, many wouldn't join us. Sustained effort would see us relegated.

He gives away free tickets because he knows this. Also because it creates divides between the fans, picket line style. As Tom says, divide and conquer.

Personally, I believe we should be working to jettison that fat bastard no matter what it takes, no matter who laughs at us for staying away, or accuses us of not being proper fans, or if we get relegated past fucking Sunderland. This club is bigger than that petty bullshit, and Ashley has been choking it to death for a decade.

4 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

We've done this one before too. £190mil comes from tv money. £20mil comes from gate receipts. He doesn't need the fans as long as the club remains in the premier league. And when we get relegated and he loses the golden goose he invests enough money to ensure we get promoted at the first time of asking.

I can understand people hating Ashley, but name calling and hating your fellow fans who go to the match is playground stuff. It's no wonder we get fuck all new members on here mind. Groundhog day with the same people shouting at the sky time and time again. 

I don’t think ashley needs the fans to stay in the PL but he does need them as wallpaper for TV. We won’t be offered the same number of TV matches nor get the same exposure for his shitty company without the ground being packed out. Also the general public realise is something is very wrong when the fans stay away, and pundits cant get away with trotting out the same old shit about how much ashley has done for the club and the usual cliches.

He’s proved that by offering free tickets/cheap deals to get people in. Large swathes of empty seats on TV are pretty much the only thing that hurts him and his shitty brand.

The more our games are shown live on tv,the better it is for Sports Direct.Even better if we’re doing well and playing exciting football in front of sell-out crowds.10,000 empty seats every home game wouldn’t  look great but I don’t think it would damage the Sports Direct brand as much as some people think.

• Like 1

The bottom line with Ashley is that he wants to make money.  He only wants to sell the club when it can't make money (e.g. after relegation) or when someone is willing to pay way over the odds.

When Staveley wanted to buy a couple of years ago, she, being appropriately business-like, did her due diligence and offered a price based on the club's risky position.  She was a time waster because she was unwilling to pay over the odds.

Now, when someone is apparently willing to pay the sale price (or thereabouts), there is less risk of relegation and he will now want much more, and when the goalposts have been moved again, this "takeover" fails, he will blame Staveley again for being a time waster. 

The only time waster is him, because he wants to be and does not really want to give up his golden goose.  

I think he will be here for many years yet, because there is no deal which he will be willing to do.  Even relegation won't make him sell, because he won't get his investment back.  Only a long time in the lower divisions will lead to him giving up, and I am not sure I can really wish that on my club.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

The more our games are shown live on tv,the better it is for Sports Direct.Even better if we’re doing well and playing exciting football in front of sell-out crowds.10,000 empty seats every home game wouldn’t  look great but I don’t think it would damage the Sports Direct brand as much as some people think.

The thing is if the stadium was half full and we are playing dire football we wouldn't be on the TV as often, who wants to watch rubbish football in front of an empty stadium.   This would hurt the brand no doubt about it. Ashley would eventually sell up if this was the case.

8 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

The bottom line with Ashley is that he wants to make money.  He only wants to sell the club when it can't make money (e.g. after relegation) or when someone is willing to pay way over the odds.

When Staveley wanted to buy a couple of years ago, she, being appropriately business-like, did her due diligence and offered a price based on the club's risky position.  She was a time waster because she was unwilling to pay over the odds.

Now, when someone is apparently willing to pay the sale price (or thereabouts), there is less risk of relegation and he will now want much more, and when the goalposts have been moved again, this "takeover" fails, he will blame Staveley again for being a time waster. 

The only time waster is him, because he wants to be and does not really want to give up his golden goose.  

I think he will be here for many years yet, because there is no deal which he will be willing to do.  Even relegation won't make him sell, because he won't get his investment back.  Only a long time in the lower divisions will lead to him giving up, and I am not sure I can really wish that on my club.

Lengthy relegation is indeed the most likely way to get this over with. Depressingly. I'd prefer it to 5 more years in the lower reaches of the PL though, with Ashley in charge.

13 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Clearly he would prefer 50k there than 40k. But I genuinely don't believe he gives enough of a shit to sell the club. He's vilified from all quarters day in, day out and he's still sat with a bit goofy grin not giving a flying fuck. 

It's a fucking stupid argument anyway as there's no way of proving it either way 

I actually think he’s pretty thin-skinned given his previous reactions to things. On the other hand he seems stubborn as fuck, so I tend to agree with you in the sense it probably wouldn’t have made a difference. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, t00nraider2 said:

Arabs holding out for ManU aparantly.

23 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

that's not what i've heard 

The battle of the ITKs.

In white corner we have one of the fat cunt's stooges, in the black corner the hoverboarding VJ!

Who can win the title of the ULTIMATE ITK???

WHO KNOWS THE MOST?

WHO WILL WIN?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK YEAH!

Twitter can't wait.

Sorry Gloomy the fat fuck will screws us over once more and he has his ready made excuse already dribbling from the mouths of his merry men.

Edited by sammynb

33 minutes ago, t00nraider2 said:

Arabs holding out for ManU aparantly.

I always find statements like this to be kind of amusing. It's certainly possible, I grant you, that the Saudi Arabians are looking at buying two football clubs whose valuations are miles apart. But I wouldn't say it's likely.

It would cost them something like £2bn to take Man United. And yet they're considering that over a £350m deal for a separate club in the same league.

Yeah it's possible, but it's kind of like being torn between buying a Ferrari and a Corsa. It doesn't really make any sense.

Edited by Rayvin

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Yeah it's possible, but it's kind of like being torn between buying a Ferrari and a Corsa. It doesn't really make any sense.

A Corsa sitting in a front yard on blocks with the wheels removed, you mean?

i can't share too much of what i heard other than he apparently wants to sell and the interest from the saudis is real. still a long way to go though - more will come out on that front shortly, i'm sure. 

Thinking about that Man Utd link through - I don't know exactly what they'd cost but I'd imagine it would be well over £1bn considering all the 'commercials' at which they excel. And they're currently a top half team struggling to get into Europe, with a squad full of overpaid superstars who can't play well together. Turning that ship around is going to cost another considerable outlay. Turning it around to the point of challenging for the title, we're talking probably another billion.

Frankly, the difference in spend between what it would take to turn us into title winners, compared to Man United, IMO, is not hugely pronounced. It's certainly less than whatever the difference in sale price between the two clubs would be.

I don't think they'll be looking at Man United as an option over and above us unless money really is no concern at all - if money is a concern, we're the far better choice.

Predictions on when we’ll get the ‘couldn’t do a deal’ statement? Looking forward to the next takeover saga that we’ll probably get sometime towards the end of the summer.

• Tom changed the title to Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official