Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

8 hours ago, Polarboy said:

James Ayles from the Daily Mail has said that Newcastle fans are "increasingly in favour" of Steve Bruce staying on. The  context of the article is that the players, knowing that Bruce will likely be given the rest of the season at least, will try to keep him in a job from their performances. So the context of the article seems to subsequently be implying that Newcastle fans want him to stay beyond the rest of this season. Have I missed something lads? :)

He's not the Messiah he's a very naughty boy. B)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

You missed the part where sports journalism is about 75% complete fabrication / speculation coupled with fuck all else to write about at present 

There’s a reason vaguely intelligent sports writers stick out like a sore thumb. 

You can count the ones that don’t come across thick as fuck on one hand.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Would love to actually know what is making thick as fuck pundits say that we should keep Bruce. It can’t just be that they’re thick, there has to be something else.

A genuine desire for us to fail.....

34 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Would love to actually know what is making thick as fuck pundits say that we should keep Bruce. It can’t just be that they’re thick, there has to be something else.

Probably as simple as us being in what is a reasonable place on the table, despite the very negative feeling from supporters. There's no chance they've watched much of us, let alone any amount of full matches, so they're taking a tiny bit of information and forming what they see as an 'educated' opinion that of course happens to be so far off the mark it's not even funny. Of course most who read it also won't have watched much/any of us either....

1 hour ago, OTF said:

Probably as simple as us being in what is a reasonable place on the table, despite the very negative feeling from supporters. There's no chance they've watched much of us, let alone any amount of full matches, so they're taking a tiny bit of information and forming what they see as an 'educated' opinion that of course happens to be so far off the mark it's not even funny. Of course most who read it also won't have watched much/any of us either....

Wide of the mark, you say?

ECC3F979-ED99-43E3-A40C-DA67C6285DD7.jpeg

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Haha 6

Given that Man City sold their stadium naming rights to Etihad as a way of helping them get round FFP, is there a figure you would accept for renaming SJP? The City deal is worth about £40m a year including the shirt sponsorship? If we could sign a Joelinton every year then would it be a price worth paying?

22 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Given that Man City sold their stadium naming rights to Etihad as a way of helping them get round FFP, is there a figure you would accept for renaming SJP? The City deal is worth about £40m a year including the shirt sponsorship? If we could sign a Joelinton every year then would it be a price worth paying?

It's a lot easier to brand a stadium when it's a new one. I'd say the Citeh owners would have had to think twice about renaming Maine Road. I can't see Staveley wanting to rock the boat with us, and no doubt she'll know how badly Fatley briefly renaming St. James went. To answer your question though it would take more than would be seen as reasonable, or allowable in terms of sponsorship, as in it would need to be 100m+.

Edit. I should say relatively new stadium. The City of Manchester Stadium was about three or four years old when it was renamed the Etihad. But obviously it didn't really have any history that would make the feelings of nostalgia too great to overcome.

Edited by Polarboy

Barcelona have recently announced that they’ve given the stadium naming rights to charity which is the same thing they did with their shirt sponsorship before selling it off so I think it is starting to happen to existing stadiums.

8 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Barcelona have recently announced that they’ve given the stadium naming rights to charity which is the same thing they did with their shirt sponsorship before selling it off so I think it is starting to happen to existing stadiums.

If I was a Barca fan and they basically phased the renaming of the stadium starting with a charity, then to a money making sponsor, I'd be livid. Renaming the Camp Nou is a fucking travesty.

Edit. Why not just rename the Sistine Chapel, Vatican Airlines Chapel. :D

Edited by Polarboy

I think there’s a realisation that to compete at the very top you need to squeeze out every single penny. If it does happen to us I can see it being something like the Aramco SJP or SJP supported By Aramco. They’ll never get rid of the name completely but the sponsor will have to be shown to get something for their money to make it look legit.

2 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I think people would have put up with Sports Direct@St James Park if it got us £50mil per season into the transfer budget 

That was the big problem like. I’d rather the name didn’t change but I think people would have accepted it more if it wasn’t just the owner taking the piss and helping himself to more free advertising 

Edited by Alex

10 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I think people would have put up with Sports Direct@St James Park if it got us £50mil per season into the transfer budget 

By the way, I assume you get first dibs on your free seat again next season?

Not looking so foolish now.

16 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I think there’s a realisation that to compete at the very top you need to squeeze out every single penny. If it does happen to us I can see it being something like the Aramco SJP or SJP supported By Aramco. They’ll never get rid of the name completely but the sponsor will have to be shown to get something for their money to make it look legit.

Yeah, I'd probably get over it after the third or fourth premier league title like. Given that Strawberry place has been sold I wouldn't mind if the Saudis built a new fuck off 100,000+ seater state of the art stadium. They can name it death to all infidels then if they like :D

• Haha 5

They haven’t started work on Strawberry Place yet have they? So the Saudis buy it back. But iirc there’s a plethora of other problems with an extension.

12 minutes ago, ewerk said:

They haven’t started work on Strawberry Place yet have they? So the Saudis buy it back. But iirc there’s a plethora of other problems with an extension.

It’s problematic where the East Stand is because Leazes Terrace is a grade 1 listed building. But I don’t think there’s anything insurmountable at the Gallowgate  /Strawberry Place end of the ground 

• Like 2

:lol: Aye the East stand is the problem, wasn’t there once plans (by Shepherd iirc) to build a big stadium on leazes park, and turn where St James’ is now into the park? 

23 minutes ago, Howay said:

:lol: Aye the East stand is the problem, wasn’t there once plans (by Shepherd iirc) to build a big stadium on leazes park, and turn where St James’ is now into the park? 

yeah, the dog walkers stopped it happening. selfish wankers 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tom said:

If I ever invent a time machine I’m having the Luftwaffe visit that grade one listed bollocks

Philistine 

25 minutes ago, Howay said:

:good:

Plans-for-a-proposed-Newcastle-united-Stadium-circa-1997.jpg

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Howay said:

Castle Leazes it was. Quite a well organised, (middle class, unsurprisingly) local residents committee objected. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Castle Leazes it was. Quite a well organised, (middle class, unsurprisingly) local residents committee objected. 

The harridan who ran that, I forget her name, is probably dead or mental now- might be worth another pop at it? :lol:
Also, I’m sure our new overlords have many more “methods” at their disposal to dispense with dissenters. 

• Haha 1

• Tom changed the title to Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official