Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

This whole thing is basically like arguing whether you want Salma Hayek or Penelope Cruz to be next in line to give you a blowie.

And Salma obvs.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

This whole thing is basically like arguing whether you want Salma Hayek or Penelope Cruz to be next in line to give you a blowie.

And Salma obvs.

tumblr_lw01rnPlXz1r5kg5io1_400.gif

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Fucking me. It's been that long for me Dianne Abbott would do 

This could be interpreted several ways, I could go down the “Wykiki isn’t getting any” route, but far better to assume the best, and give you some shed-time. 

Spoiler

O5GsI8o.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Jaysus... 1

1 hour ago, Polarboy said:

I mean we could get into a semantic debate over what it means to be pragmatic in football terms, or we could just agree that it's a widely held opinion that Benitez is a cautious, sensible, safety first coach when it comes to his playing style, which was the salient point that was being made. In any case what I meant when I said pragmatic was that it's a sensible approach, as opposed to the almost idealistic approach that Klopp, Pep etc use, which is to overwhelm their opponents. 

That's how he plays when the players available to him render that the sensible pragmatic option. That doesn't mean he has an entrenched style of play and he's clearly a highly astute tactician that will adapt where circumstances permit. (Pragmatic).

• Jaysus... 1

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

And Salma obvs.

Penny For me, like. (Not that Salma's getting knocked back anytime soon). :D

• Jaysus... 1

32 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

That's how he plays when the players available to him render that the sensible pragmatic option. That doesn't mean he has an entrenched style of play and he's clearly a highly astute tactician that will adapt where circumstances permit. (Pragmatic).

You haven't a clue what you're talking about. I literally linked three articles about the Real players and Spanish pundits opinions on his playing style. How many times do I have to say it. He had some of the best players in the world and still took a cautious approach.

Edit. Actually to be more precise he had literally the best players in the world, including perhaps the second best player of all time, and he still took the cautious approach.

Edited by Polarboy

1 minute ago, Polarboy said:

You haven't a clue what you're talking about. I literally linked three articles about the Real players and Spanish pundits opinions on his playing style. How many times do I have to say it. He had some of the best players in the world and still took a cautious approach.

He tried to instill a disciplined playing style. Discipline to execute a game plan doesn't automatically mean defensive. He is a top manager with top game management ability. Going into Real Madrid and getting those egos on board was a mammoth task. 

2 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

He tried to instill a disciplined playing style. Discipline to execute a game plan doesn't automatically mean defensive. He is a top manager with top game management ability. Going into Real Madrid and getting those egos on board was a mammoth task. 

You said he only takes a cautious approach when the players he has make it sensible to do so, you were wrong. The players and pundits referred specifically to his overcautious approach and tactics, not how disciplined they had to be in carrying out said tactics. And other managers have succeeded at Real, so are you saying he wasn't up to it given he failed to get them in line? 

5 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

You said he only takes a cautious approach when the players he has make it sensible to do so, you were wrong. The players and pundits referred specifically to his overcautious approach and tactics, not how disciplined they had to be in carrying out said tactics. And other managers have succeeded at Real, so are you saying he wasn't up to it given he failed to get them in line? 

I'm saying the job didn't suit him given the immediate results that Madrid fans demand. I think (and control) given time he'd have succeeded though yes. He's one of the most intelligent men in football imo.

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

2 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

I'm saying the job didn't suit him given the immediate results that Madrid fans demand. I think given time he'd have succeeded though yes. He's one of the most intelligent men in football imo.

He actually got very good results for a long time until it fell apart a bit towards the end. It was specifically his style of play that they had a problem with.

Just now, Polarboy said:

He actually got very good results for a long time until it fell apart a bit towards the end. It was specifically his style of play that they had a problem with.

Their fans are renowned arseholes though. He can grind out wins all day for me. I loved watching us under him. The sense that there was a game plan even though we were shit. The not getting humiliated every week. Him coming here boosted our profile to such extent that it probably encouraged this takeover too. Wor flags and full stadiums all inspired by him. This goes through and he's a club icon. He deserves the job.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Their fans are renowned arseholes though. He can grind out wins all day for me. I loved watching us under him. The sense that there was a game plan even though we were shit. The not getting humiliated every week. Him coming here boosted our profile to such extent that it probably encouraged this takeover too. Wor flags and full stadiums all inspired by him. This goes through and he's a club icon. He deserves the job.

Again it wasn't just the fans who were critiquing his approach and tactics, it was the pundits over there as well. And you're perfectly entitled to your opinion on who should be the next manager, just as I am. And yeah Staveley is supposedly a fan, but Rafa's contract in China seems pretty airtight in terms of having to pay a ridiculous amount to get him, which the new owners could obviously do, but Rafa's not really one for not seeing out a contract unless he's pushed. Also it could be the case that there are other managers she and the rest of the consortium like equally or more so, who weren't available until relatively recently, such as Pochettino, or Allegri etc. Her fondness for Rafa has been long reported going back to her first attempt at buying the club. 

8 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Again it wasn't just the fans who were critiquing his approach and tactics, it was the pundits over there as well. And you're perfectly entitled to your opinion on who should be the next manager, just as I am. And yeah Staveley is supposedly a fan, but Rafa's contract in China seems pretty airtight in terms of having to pay a ridiculous amount to get him, which the new owners could obviously do, but Rafa's not really one for not seeing out a contract unless he's pushed. Also it could be the case that there are other managers she and the rest of the consortium like equally or more so, who weren't available until relatively recently, such as Pochettino, or Allegri etc. Her fondness for Rafa has been long reported going back to her first attempt at buying the club. 

I believe she's a Liverpool fan so will be well educated on just how good he is. Already knowing most of the squad is a huge advantage as well. I'm not a fan of the immediate overhaul.

I just hope we can get the final 6-8 points we need for safety, what a kick the nuts for the new ownership if we got relegated.  

11 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

I believe she's a Liverpool fan so will be well educated on just how good he is. Already knowing most of the squad is a huge advantage as well. I'm not a fan of the immediate overhaul.

Yeah, maybe she is. The annoying thing is that even if the sale is confirmed next week, we likely won't have a new manager until they complete the season. I think I've already used up all my allotted space both in my mind and on here for debating who it should be though :spaz:

Edited by Polarboy

3 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

2 wins from 9 should see us safe 

as anemic as we've been in front of goal I hope we can do it.

We have Sheffield Utd (H), Aston Villa (H), Bournemouth (A), West Ham (H), Man City (A), Watford (A), Spurs (H), Brighton (A), Liverpool (H). This is assuming that they scrap the neutral venue thing, which seems to be the way it's going given all the clubs are against it. I'm not going to say anything stupid to jinx it, but I'd like to think we could muster 3-6 points out of that list. I wasn't even slightly worried until you reminded me that we actually have to play games soon, as weird as that sounds, tooner, so thanks a lot :icon_lol: Although I'd feel better if we had a Palace, Everton or Burnley on there. Of the winnable ones they will all be fighting for their lives. 

Edit. Funnily enough Spurs and Sheffield Utd might end up being two of our "easier" games. But maybe I'm giving too much credit to teams like West Ham, Watford etc in terms of how much they'll fight. Hopefully more than a few will go down, or just play out the season, with a whimper.

Edited by Polarboy

1 hour ago, Polarboy said:

I think this has been a very informed argument tbh, but i don't remember his style of play being something they had issue with. It was a class thing, like a perception that he was beneath them, at least from what I recall. They had Mourinho for years ffs, he literally lived by counter attacks.

Rafa may well bring a less interesting brand of football, but even if that was true he'd be my first choice just for the sheer respect I have for the man for taking us on even through relegation, even with Ashley. Pocchetino, good as he may, right man as he may be, is only interested in us because we now have money and the potential to improve. Rafa was interested in us at least in part because of the identity of the club.

Given what's about to happen to us, I think hiring a man who understands us as a city and a club would help us to retain a sense of who we are in amongst the millions being spent.

I'd be fine with Poch, but Rafa would be my first choice.

• Like 5

• Tom changed the title to Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official