Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

No, as an nufc fan.

Trying to think neutrally , still yes. PL saying no to a government ally with strong military and trade ties, still seems unlikely. If it wasnt Newcastle it would be damn impossible. 

Surely he can’t have met with Bein regarding the takeover, isn’t the process supposed to be completely confidential? Would be putting himself on some pretty dicey ground legally speaking if he met with an outside party regarding it and rejected it. 

2 hours ago, trooper said:

Honest question lads, what do you think Yes or No ? I'm thinking no it's getting to drawn out. 

Yes, I haven’t heard anything to suggest it won’t happen, other than the fact it’s taking a long time. 

Yes. 

If the UK Government are doing deals with Saudi Arabia routinely there's no chance NUFC /Ashley can't. 

I think the old addage "no news is good news" is creating a lot of negative clickbait mainly. The press need an angle and if they aren't getting it they create their own. 

• Like 1

I still think yes as well, on the basis that I've no idea how the PL manages to tie a fund that acts on behalf of every person within a country, to the crimes of just one individual from that country. As much as I understand people thinking that if it was going to be approved then it would have been by now, the same is true the other way around. Why would the PL draw this out? If they had legitimate reason to kill it, they would have done.

It's just as likely that they could be in damage limitation concerning approving it, as they could be in terms of denying it. Either way, people are going to be pissed with them, and I suspect that's why this is taking so long. IMO if they're waiting for this report to come out in a few days time, it could just as likely be so that they can hold their hands up and say "look, we waited, but there's nothing in there that can change our position from a legal standpoint" as it could be that they're going to point to it as the reason why they rejected the deal.

• Like 1

The Independent report:

A group of 16 cross-party MPs and peers have written to the government raising concern over the threat of sportswashing in the UK amid the Saudi Arabia-funded takeover of Newcastle United.

The politicians – including former Labour leader Neil Kinnock and Conservative MP Sir Peter Bottomley – have said that the £300m takeover, which would see the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia acquire an 80 per cent stake in the club, is a vehicle to distract from the country’s human rights record.

The letter, seen by The Independent, cites allegations surrounding the regime’s involvement in the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, the jailing of human rights activists, the use of online espionage and Saudi Arabia’s involvement in the Yemeni Civil War.

The group, spearheaded by the Fifa Ethics and Regulations Watch, urge the government to “take an active lead” in preventing sportswashing in the UK and develop a more stringent fit-and-proper-person test to stop the alignment of companies and regimes with poor human rights records with the Premier League.’

5 minutes ago, trooper said:

The Independent report:

A group of 16 cross-party MPs and peers have written to the government raising concern over the threat of sportswashing in the UK amid the Saudi Arabia-funded takeover of Newcastle United.

The politicians – including former Labour leader Neil Kinnock and Conservative MP Sir Peter Bottomley – have said that the £300m takeover, which would see the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia acquire an 80 per cent stake in the club, is a vehicle to distract from the country’s human rights record.

The letter, seen by The Independent, cites allegations surrounding the regime’s involvement in the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, the jailing of human rights activists, the use of online espionage and Saudi Arabia’s involvement in the Yemeni Civil War.

The group, spearheaded by the Fifa Ethics and Regulations Watch, urge the government to “take an active lead” in preventing sportswashing in the UK and develop a more stringent fit-and-proper-person test to stop the alignment of companies and regimes with poor human rights records with the Premier League.’

There is absolutely no way that 16 MPs are going to force the cast of Britannia Unchained to stop this.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, trooper said:

The Independent report:

No mention of the heavyweight world champion? 

• Like 1

:lol: The fucking brass neck on them cunts. Worried about sports washing while being part of the leadership system that actively trade arms and have various other business & political deals with the Saudis, get in the fucking sea man. 

• Like 3

I don’t think there’s anything new which has come out in any of these stories which makes me think it’ll happen. The WTO report is probably a factor. I wouldn’t worry about the government being swayed by 16 no marks writing to them. Given the money involved and their morals they’re more likely to be swayed by incentives to make it happen. As for the Saudis, is it likely they just walk away and let their rivals effectively win? If they back out now they’ve likely got to start from scratch with whichever club they choose if it’s another PL club. My doubt is it’s nufc so I never expect anything good to happen. 

• Like 1

I don’t see a way the Saudis walk away, if it’s rejected it’s a real slight on them and a huge knock against what MBS has been doing / plans to do. With that being the case I feel like they’d double down and force it into the court system if anything. 

Edited by Howay

Blocking it would have huge consequences. It turns into a major political - and potentially very expensive - diplomatic incident. Does the PL have the stomach for it? I doubt it 

14 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Blocking it would have huge consequences. It turns into a major political - and potentially very expensive - diplomatic incident. Does the PL have the stomach for it? I doubt it 

That’s the way I see it. It would open up a massive can of worms and I really can’t see the PL wanting to do that. It’s not like they are a bastion of integrity so I think the delay is them trying to give the impression that they are seriously considering the counter arguments, even though I doubt they are. 

I’m fairly sure it will go through but I’m not that bothered. On the one hand, I want Ashley out but, on the other hand, I agree with those who say it is sports washing so anything we achieve will be tarnished somewhat. However, there’s a load of dirty money swilling round the PL so other teams can get to fuck if they want to try and take the moral high ground. I think the main reason I want it to go through is so that we all get to witness the inevitable meltdown from Richard Keys.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

That’s the way I see it. It would open up a massive can of worms and I really can’t see the PL wanting to do that. It’s not like they are a bastion of integrity so I think the delay is them trying to give the impression that they are seriously considering the counter arguments, even though I doubt they are. 

I’m fairly sure it will go through but I’m not that bothered. On the one hand, I want Ashley out but, on the other hand, I agree with those who say it is sports washing so anything we achieve will be tarnished somewhat. However, there’s a load of dirty money swilling round the PL so other teams can get to fuck if they want to try and take the moral high ground. I think the main reason I want it to go through is so that we all get to witness the inevitable meltdown from Richard Keys.

That sums up my views perfectly

5 hours ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

I wouldn't argue with you about that

Mind you i wouldn't argue with Billy Whitehurst about anything 

27 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

On the other hand, we get to go on the piss in Azjerbaijan as we win the Champions League for the 7th time. You have to see the upside

TBH I'd be happy with a league cup just once

16 hours ago, Howay said:

:lol: The fucking brass neck on them cunts. Worried about sports washing while being part of the leadership system that actively trade arms and have various other business & political deals with the Saudis, get in the fucking sea man. 

Its incredible really :lol: 

• Like 1

• Tom changed the title to Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official