Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

38 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

I might have a look at the contract situation and how easy it is for countries to  opt out.

Who said the Germans don’t know how to have fun?

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Yeah, I guess that’s option 3. PL have agreed Staveley and PIF are a separate entity and whatever SA do now can’t affect the takeover either way 

I maintain my position that I just cannot see the PL decreeing that the royal house of a major ally/trading partner is unfit to run a bloody football club.

45 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I'm having a hard time believing that the PL would so openly bloody the nose of an existing rights partner tbh...

Having said that, I also feel as though this wouldn't have happened without a conclusion having been reached one way or the other, unless the whole situation with NUFC is far less important to SA than we think it is.

My thoughts exactly, NUFC is just a side bet, the main pot is broadcasting across MENA

Decent point made on Twitter, watching Bein legally was banned in SA and today just legally confirms/tidies that up and opens it up for SA to pay for rights to legally broadcast because no way would they buy a club their people couldn’t watch.

anybody else remember the olden days when  all piracy meant was you could play snidey games on your ps2 or your chipped virgin box meant you had to be careful your lass didn't catch you knocking a sly one out watching the adult channel after midnight?

these days your entire relationship with the football club you've loved since you were a kid is dependant on it.

fucking progress eh?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Bein have said absolutely nothing about this in the prematch waffle before Chelsea v Norwich, and chose to focus on Man City's ban being lifted & Mourinho's reaction to it.

It's on!

Edited by asteroidblitz
  • Haha 2

It could all be part of the PL’s plan to draw a line under this. Saudi Arabia agrees not to facilitate piracy and simply bans Bein from their jurisdiction and hopefully the TV rights become less of an issue.

59 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

anybody else remember the olden days when  all piracy meant was you could play snidey games on your ps2 or your chipped virgin box meant you had to be careful your lass didn't catch you knocking a sly one out watching the adult channel after midnight?

these days your entire relationship with the football club you've loved since you were a kid is dependant on it.

fucking progress eh?!

Noelie remembers when it meant he could go round the Caribbean in a man-o-war, drinking rum and stealing Spanish gold 

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Noelie remembers when it meant he could go round the Caribbean in a man-o-war, drinking rum and stealing Spanish gold 

• Like 1

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jul/14/saudi-arabia-bans-bein-sport-to-further-complicate-300m-newcastle-takeover

On Tuesday night, though, it emerged that the Saudi government edict related to an old legal case dating back to 2016 and both PIF and their consortium partners were completely unaware it would be issued. Although it came as a shock and the timing is regarded as unfortunate sources maintain it should not affect the Newcastle deal.

Indeed facilitated, partly, by discreet interventions from the UK government, which is understood to be in favour of Newcastle’s Saudi-led takeover, a diplomatic compromise in the Saudi/Qatari broadcast war seemed about to be brokered. Instead came the surprise announcement from the Saudi General Authority for Competition (GAC) stating that beIN Sports’ licence to broadcast was cancelled permanently and Qatar fined 10m Saudi riyals (£2.1m).

So to be clear - it was the right hand not talking to the left hand in Saudi Arabia, and has come as a shock to basically everyone involved.

What is the point in being an authoritarian dictatorship if shit like this can happen ffs.

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

I would be very surprised if that were the case.

It seems highly unlikely that things would operate that way in KSA or that the Guardian have the inside track 

15 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Isn’t this just SA trying to bring things to a head & regain some control from the premier league who are just blatantly taking the fuckin piss? :cuppa:

Starting to come around to this line of thinking. Seems like a very transparent effort to get things moving and force the PL to actually make a decision instead of feeling like the big boys for getting involved in the Middle East.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

If you read this article you will see the Saudis have already set a precedence with the Asian Champions League, the confed they are are apart of, so I wouldn't be surprised if the PL knew this was coming and have already already explored the online option for Saudi - hence the piracy crackdown paving the way.

It's all but a war between them, surely the PL must know they cannot force two countries in conflict to play nice over TV broadcasting.

• Tom changed the title to Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official