Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

14 minutes ago, Tom said:

If it was any of those clubs or any of the other media darlings they would have approved it in about half an hour.

I said that ages ago, ie imagine if it was Man Utd for example. It would be all about how a great club was about to rightfully back on the road to glory etc 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I said that ages ago, ie imagine if it was Man Utd for example. It would be all about how a great club was about to rightfully back on the road to glory etc 

Nobody made a fuss about them getting money from a company owned by the Saudi state.

It is getting really ridiculous now. I also can’t see how a confidential process does stop them from giving information about a time frame.

The PL is more concerned about it’s business partners than protecting a member.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Isegrim said:

I still have the feeling that we finally might see movement next week once the season is over. If the PL had wanted to block the deal because of piracy and human rights they probably would have done weeks ago. KSA blocking bein can’t really be an issue because it can’t affect the ability to own a football club. In the end it would be tough luck for Saudi Arabians not being able to watch it.

I'm really curious as to whether Saudi Arabia can offer anything more than a promise to the Premier League that they will not facilitate piracy in the future?

On the face of it the Saudis banning beIN until at least 2022 (when they can outbid beIN on the next contract) combined with Saudi Arabia owning a Premier League club but being unable to legally broadcast any games to citizens, would seem the perfect cocktail for future piracy offences by Saudi Arabia no matter how many promises they make and how pure of heart those promises are right now.

Can the UK government step in and agree a potential punishment trade embargo on Saudi Arabia if the Saudis recommit offences, can the Premier League enact punishments directly on Newcastle United for what their owners do, can the Premier League freeze all future investment and relationships with Saudi Arabia etc etc?

5 hours ago, David Kelly said:

The premier league are shafting us completely now and it shows exactly what they think of the fans.  They should have a duty to look after their members and they are clearly not doing that with us.  It's impossible for us to plan for next season.  We keep being told that Bruce has done a fantastic job securing our premier league position for next season with so many games to go, but it's impossible to take the advantage that other teams in the same position are taking while we have an owner who has absolutely no interest in us.

I'm now certain that they're just hoping the Saudi's will go away so I can't see this being resolved before next season starts.

If it's not resolved by then I think it's curtains.  Fat fuck is already sweating on rates stuff on the high street.

5 hours ago, Burb said:

I'm really curious as to whether Saudi Arabia can offer anything more than a promise to the Premier League that they will not facilitate piracy in the future?

On the face of it the Saudis banning beIN until at least 2022 (when they can outbid beIN on the next contract) combined with Saudi Arabia owning a Premier League club but being unable to legally broadcast any games to citizens, would seem the perfect cocktail for future piracy offences by Saudi Arabia no matter how many promises they make and how pure of heart those promises are right now.

Can the UK government step in and agree a potential punishment trade embargo on Saudi Arabia if the Saudis recommit offences, can the Premier League enact punishments directly on Newcastle United for what their owners do, can the Premier League freeze all future investment and relationships with Saudi Arabia etc etc?

nee chance are we putting the brakes on trade with the saudis 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, David Kelly said:

I'm now certain that they're just hoping the Saudi's will go away so I can't see this being resolved before next season starts.

This is the only explanation as far as I can see, and it is pathetic if true.  While this is hardly the biggest investment by PIF or KSA, there is a contract in place and presumably the only way out of it is if the PL reject the buyer.

The PL is being derelict in its duty.  Time to shit or get off the pot! :mad:

• Like 1

I don't think the PL give a shit about Newcastle United fans, or the success of the team on the pitch. As it stands they've got a club that's focused chiefly on financial security, which is fine by them. I would say though, PIF and Staveley have made a fucking mess of the bid. Any decent counsel would have foreseen the piracy issues, the questions over the directors and so on. 

Doesn't fill me with confidence.

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Any decent counsel would have foreseen the piracy issues, the questions over the directors and so on. 

I'm sure they did, what they perhaps didn't expect was the massive geopolitical interference

14 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

I'm sure they did, what they perhaps didn't expect was the massive geopolitical interference

They should have. BEIN are a preferred broadcast partner and spent £500m for broadcast rights. It should have been clear that Qatar were going to kick up a stink about KSA owning a PL club. With that in mind any decent counsel would have advised a way to navigate the pushback so that PIF appear reasonable and BEIN appear as the bad guys. 

Make anti-piracy measures part of the bid, don't ban BEIN from broadcasting until after the bid goes through, make sure the named directors are sufficiently distanced from the issues that may cause a problem. If you want to bring on people whose inclusion may cause issue, do it after the bid has gone through so there's more pressure to allow it. 

Hell, I would have advised that Staveley and Ruebens buy the club themselves (the Ruebens would have been accepted without any issue), get the sponsorship from PIF & Saudi companies to inflate the coffers, then add PIF as part-owners after a season or two. After KSA have bid for the MENA rights and sorted the anti-piracy measures.

I think the most telling think about this was the news that Saudi's banning of BeIn came as a surprise to the people managing the bid for us. It's tempting for us to look at this and assume that the whole Saudi kingdom is energised around our takeover, but the reality may be that their fuck on with Qatar and other geopolitical considerations may be far more important to them then the takeover of a PL club. We might not be as high up the list as we all wish we were.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I think the most telling think about this was the news that Saudi's banning of BeIn came as a surprise to the people managing the bid for us. It's tempting for us to look at this and assume that the whole Saudi kingdom is energised around our takeover, but the reality may be that their fuck on with Qatar and other geopolitical considerations may be far more important to them then the takeover of a PL club. We might not be as high up the list as we all wish we were.

Coming at it from one POV, your average local supermarket will have a turnover comparable with some Premier League clubs. Actually I’ve no idea if that is true :lol: but in monetary terms this is chicken feed. However, in terms of profile, prestige and their regional power struggle, I don’t think it’s something they would just write off. 

36 minutes ago, Alex said:

Coming at it from one POV, your average local supermarket will have a turnover comparable with some Premier League clubs. Actually I’ve no idea if that is true :lol: but in monetary terms this is chicken feed. However, in terms of profile, prestige and their regional power struggle, I don’t think it’s something they would just write off

This

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

I think the most telling think about this was the news that Saudi's banning of BeIn came as a surprise to the people managing the bid for us. 

I don't understand why people are surprised at this, SA and Qatar are at war with each other. They might not be dropping bombs on cities but they are in conflict.

Just like North and South Korea and no one expects those two nations to work together.

1 minute ago, sammynb said:

I don't understand why people are surprised at this, SA and Qatar are at war with each other. They might not be dropping bombs on cities but they are in conflict.

Just like North and South Korea and no one expects those two nations to work together.

That ruling, no, not surprising. The fact that the PIF didn't seem to know it was about to hit? Yes, that surprised me a bit. It just implies that we're a side issue IMO.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

That ruling, no, not surprising. The fact that the PIF didn't seem to know it was about to hit? Yes, that surprised me a bit. It just implies that we're a side issue IMO.

There is no doubt about that but seeing Qatar's Citeh are the club to beat, that is just going to stoke the fire under the Saudi's arse to push through the takeover and annihilate them at every opportunity.

6 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Abu Dhabi tbf ;) 

:suicide:

True that! 

UAE and SA have good diplomatic ties, so fuck knows if they are pushing against the takeover but the Saudis will still want to be dominating any other "local" rival.

It will be PSG that they will be looking forward to dry humping into submission.

28 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Original ruling against Qatar/Bein was in 2018 evidently, the latest "bombshell" was simply the result of the appeal.

If the Saudi's were that firm on wanting us, you would have thought they would have at least held off on banning Bein until after everything was completed.  It certainly must have caused more issues.  

I do agree with Fish that it seems they should have foreseen this all before agreeing the deal with Ashley and probably went at it with just Staveley and the Reubins to begin with with.  The Reubens would surely have no problems convincing the premier league that they have the finances to fund us and then the Saudi's could come in (bit by bit if necessary) when they have tidied up the piracy issue and are in a position for Arabsat to bid for the rights.

NUFC 360

#NUFC scouts have been told to plan for life without a Saudi takeover as an audacious loan move for Real Madrid misfit Luka Jovic is weighed up. United's scouting department are assessing the struggling Serbian, as they look to inject goals into the side. 

Edited by trooper

21 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

nee chance are we putting the brakes on trade with the saudis 

Agreed but what else, other than a promise, can the Saudis offer the Premier League that they won't go back to faciliating piracy once approval for the takeover is given?

Essentially the one magic question the Premier League really want answering is:

"What reassurances do we give our broadcasting partners when they ask us why we have given the thumbs up to a country that stole from all of us?"

Something tangible that the Premier League could point to, showing that approving the takeover had indisputably 100% solved the piracy issues, would be dynamite.

• Like 1

• Tom changed the title to Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official