Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

The Guardian has published 4 articles about this takeover collapse, with one of them calling this a 'narrow escape' for Newcastle fans :lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/jul/30/newcastle-united-narrow-escape-takeover-saudi-arabia

Absolutely none of these articles are open to comments, naturally.

At this point it's surely time to count our blessings and be thankful we escaped when poor old Man City and Chelsea didn't. #prayforthe top6 🙏

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Renton taught me.

Can you see anything different?

Yep.

Ahsley remains a willing seller, Newcastle remain a prized asset and the PL remains an attractive league. Someone will want a shot at owning a PL club that won't cost them £1bn quid before they even begin buying players or owt. 

No idea about Mauriss, but a few journalists are saying there are interested parties out there. BZG might return, Kenyon, Orlegi, Mauriss, Bezos ( ;) )?

Ashley won't still be here in 10yrs time, I don't think we're nailed on for the drop next season as there'll be a few clubs looking to avoid those 3 spots. (Brighton, Palace, West Brom, Brentford/Fulham, possibly West Ham?)

If we do go down we can rely on Ashley to spend a bit to get us back into the top flight and we've saleable assets that would fund a good chunk of that.

It's not exactly a sellers market at the moment. Ashley is lucky in a sense that this has happened in the current covid climate or else the backlash towards him could become toxic... even though I do believe he did want to sell here and technically therefore isn't to blame for it falling through he will bear the brunt of the supporters disdain at the predicament. Which is fair enough because the largest part of the reason many were so keen on the sale was simply that it heralded the end of Ashley's destruction of the club.

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Yep.

Ahsley remains a willing seller, Newcastle remain a prized asset and the PL remains an attractive league. Someone will want a shot at owning a PL club that won't cost them £1bn quid before they even begin buying players or owt. 

No idea about Mauriss, but a few journalists are saying there are interested parties out there. BZG might return, Kenyon, Orlegi, Mauriss, Bezos ( ;) )?

Ashley won't still be here in 10yrs time, I don't think we're nailed on for the drop next season as there'll be a few clubs looking to avoid those 3 spots. (Brighton, Palace, West Brom, Brentford/Fulham, possibly West Ham?)

If we do go down we can rely on Ashley to spend a bit to get us back into the top flight and we've saleable assets that would fund a good chunk of that.

If there’s anything that the last 13 years have taught us it’s that we should be optimistic about the future 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

If there’s anything that the last 13 years have taught us it’s that we should be optimistic about the future 

:lol: true enough, but lets not throw the baby out with the failed Saudi bid now.

So there it is, the dust has settled and we can now just continue to make up the numbers in the league and allow the top 6 to take all the trophys and money.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 10/07/2020 at 11:29, Christmas Tree said:

I’m 100% confident now that this will be passed within the next 7 days. There’s been plenty of times when it’s felt like a “no” was coming, but everything now seems to be aligning in our favour.

And while 92 fucking days is unbearable, it will be forgotten in a heartbeat when this goes through.

After some painstaking research I’ve finally managed to pinpoint exactly when the deal went tits up

• Haha 11

3 hours ago, The Fish said:

Yep.

sounds fucking brilliant. get in there.

58 minutes ago, Carl said:

So there it is, the dust has settled and we can now just continue to make up the numbers in the league and allow the top 6 to take all the trophys and money.

Aye this sums it up. Have to love all the outpouring of journalists now bigging the club up “it’s a giant club and people will be queuing up to buy it, there’s no way only the Saudi Arabians could take it over”, desperate to keep NUFC fans engaged and clicking on their shite, no one will pay what Ashley wants so in that sense this lot really were the only show in town.

His price won’t have changed despite the current situation, and honestly the PL have botched their hand imo. They’ve basically announced that piracy is a massive problem for their rights holders (I know it is of course an issue but they could have played it off before as a smaller one) and the result of this shithousery is potentially a more aggressive, rampant, state backed version. Bein now hold all the cards for the 2022 renewal as it’s fairly unlikely the Saudis will bother if they truly have been discouraged and feel disrespected, so now Bein has a free run at the rights and will highlight the piracy fears when negotiating. 

1 hour ago, Carl said:

Depressingly correct

27 minutes ago, Howay said:

Aye this sums it up. Have to love all the outpouring of journalists now bigging the club up “it’s a giant club and people will be queuing up to buy it, there’s no way only the Saudi Arabians could take it over”, desperate to keep NUFC fans engaged and clicking on their shite, no one will pay what Ashley wants so in that sense this lot really were the only show in town.

His price won’t have changed despite the current situation, and honestly the PL have botched their hand imo. They’ve basically announced that piracy is a massive problem for their rights holders (I know it is of course an issue but they could have played it off before as a smaller one) and the result of this shithousery is potentially a more aggressive, rampant, state backed version. Bein now hold all the cards for the 2022 renewal as it’s fairly unlikely the Saudis will bother if they truly have been discouraged and feel disrespected, so now Bein has a free run at the rights and will highlight the piracy fears when negotiating. 

As well as the cheek of quite a few to suggest that because it is such a special club it is only a question of time until someone else will come and buy the club and make it great. We fucking had to wait 13 years for someone even agreeing a sale with the fat bastard. In the meantime almost year after year the club has been made gradually worse and shallow. They can just fuck of.

• Like 2

So there was a solution to tackle piracy in a sensible way but the league preferred to force a souvereign state to accept a basically state run tv station of its enemy broadcasting there.

Cunts.

• Like 1

:lol: Aye, having the rights on a regional basis is absolutely ridiculous. Since Bein had such an issue with the whole thing surely they could have accepted a pro-rata reduction in the cost of their rights to remove KSA, then KSA could negotiate their own deal with the PL. I understand it would be difficult to do, and that Bein already have a signed agreement so they very well could have rejected the compromise, but if they did then surely they would have no grounds for further complaints as something along those lines would have been an equitable solution for them (especially as they’re paying for rights to a country they get no benefit from), courts would look to see if the parties had tried to reach an equitable compromise and if Bein had just rejected this idea and then withheld payment citing KSA owning Newcastle and disagreement over dissolution of their rights due to a state backed piracy conspiracy it’d be a very difficult case for Bein to win surely. 

If it’s true the PL dismissed it out hand that points further to the fact they wanted to deal to collapse. 

:lol: That was never going to work. The PL bundle these rights together for a reason, whether that is because it’s financially advantageous to do so or it’s just easier for them to manage that way. What SA was suggesting would have completely undermined that approach. It would have opened the door to any country who doesn’t missed out on the rights or didn’t like the rights holder to simply ban them from their airwaves and negotiate their own deal.

The PL have fucked this takeover up big time but I can’t argue with them on this one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Howay said:

:lol: Aye, having the rights on a regional basis is absolutely ridiculous. Since Bein had such an issue with the whole thing surely they could have accepted a pro-rata reduction in the cost of their rights to remove KSA, then KSA could negotiate their own deal with the PL. I understand it would be difficult to do, and that Bein already have a signed agreement so they very well could have rejected the compromise, but if they did then surely they would have no grounds for further complaints as something along those lines would have been an equitable solution for them (especially as they’re paying for rights to a country they get no benefit from), courts would look to see if the parties had tried to reach an equitable compromise and if Bein had just rejected this idea and then withheld payment citing KSA owning Newcastle and disagreement over dissolution of their rights due to a state backed piracy conspiracy it’d be a very difficult case for Bein to win surely. 

If it’s true the PL dismissed it out hand that points further to the fact they wanted to deal to collapse. 

BEIN gave the people involved a backhander imo 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

:lol: That was never going to work. The PL bundle these rights together for a reason, whether that is because it’s financially advantageous to do so or it’s just easier for them to manage that way. What SA was suggesting would have completely undermined that approach. It would have opened the door to any country who doesn’t missed out on the rights or didn’t like the rights holder to simply ban them from their airwaves and negotiate their own deal.

The PL have fucked this takeover up big time but I can’t argue with them on this one.

Fair, I just think the situation is a disaster for all parties (aside from probably the PL) as Bein hold rights to a country that doesn’t allow them air time so they’re making nothing from that, KSA’s issues with this are obvious. So it would have surely suited them to come to some type of arrangement. I get your point on opening the door to others but are many of the rights bundled for a whole region like this? It would also have to be very specific countries that would do this (ones with a leadership like KSA) as otherwise corporations that just happen to be based in a company wouldn’t wield the sort of clout to have a foreign company’s channel banned on a basis like this. 

Either way I take the point, but I just find it ridiculous they’d bundle the MENA rights as the fact Bein is banned in KSA, Egypt, and potentially other countries points to how ridiculous it is. 

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

BEIN gave the people involved a backhander imo 

Possible for sure. I’d add to my point that although it appears on face value to be an issue for Bein it’s likely more in their favor to just keep KSA out like this regardless of holding those rights being a waste of money, as it keeps KSA out of the football world Qatar are currently entrenching themselves in. 

• Tom changed the title to Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official