Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

Hopefully it's much ado about nothing, but the guardian are reporting that a legal document that supposedly provides a direct link between the Saudi government and BeoutQ, the channel the pirated sport is/was shown on in Saudi, has according to them been passed onto the premier league in the last 24 hours. I would presume that any such document would have been found during the court case that Bein sports or whoever it was took out against the Saudi's and lost. Again hopefully it's just a last minute futile attempt to scupper the deal with little basis in fact. Even squeakier bum time.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/11/new-legal-documents-raise-fresh-questions-over-newcastle-takeover-deal-saudi-arabia-premier-league

Edited by Polarboy

The Premier League will scrutinise the information to see whether it further calls into question whether the consortium passes its owners’ and directors’ test, which states that digital piracy is prohibited.

I’ve read the test and can see no reference whatsoever to digital piracy.

They won a court case over the supposed link, the channel BeoutQ was also shut down last year. I’m not sure how they could have strong grounds to reject a £300m deal over what are essentially previously rejected accusations about a closed down piracy channel. I also really don’t see how it would be in the Premier Leagues interest to reject it, the league is going to see a considerable cash injection at a time many clubs are struggling for cash, the rights will then also go for a greater sum when they next go up for bid. 

11 minutes ago, ewerk said:

If it's not mentioned in the test as you say, and this article is saying it is, then the validity of the entire article has to be called into question. Can't say I would take the word of a journalist who can't even get basic facts straight.

I mean it’s a little shambolic if it does. Surely this isn’t some new document, therefore whoever has submitted it has held on to it for weeks and has submitted it in the week the deal was supposedly going to be ratified? 

:lol: Aye it’s becoming pathetic now. This is all just Bein being manipulative and trying to have the deal stopped. If the deal is blocked on these grounds the PIF can use the prior court case which they won to overturn the ruling, going off how Cellinio used his Italian court appeal to overturn his rejected PL test. 

23 minutes ago, Howay said:

:lol: Aye it’s becoming pathetic now. This is all just Bein being manipulative and trying to have the deal stopped. If the deal is blocked on these grounds the PIF can use the prior court case which they won to overturn the ruling, going off how Cellinio used his Italian court appeal to overturn his rejected PL test. 

It's about protecting a monopoly. A rather strange one though covering most of the Arab states. Would be similar to Sky UK holding rights for the whole of Europe, especially after leaving the EU...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ewerk said:

Avast yee

Arrrrrrghhh me hearties need not fret the scallywag scoundrel ashley won't plunder us no more.

Arrrrrrghhh

• Haha 3

Mike Ashley is ‘growing increasingly annoyed’ that the £300M takeover is not yet complete as he expected a deal to be finalised ‘at least two weeks ago’. [Daily Mail]

Ashley can't pull out though so who gives a shit what he thinks.

There's probably a time trigger for completion in the agreement but he won't be able to just flounce off as normal.

Mike Ashley can syphon a shite from an exhaust pipe for all I care.

He’s had countries opportunities to sell the club & dealing with some proper dodgy bastards (naturally.

Its no wonder it’s taking a while.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, trooper said:

Mike Ashley is ‘growing increasingly annoyed’ that the £300M takeover is not yet complete as he expected a deal to be finalised ‘at least two weeks ago’. [Daily Mail]

Every cloud...

• Tom changed the title to Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official