The Mighty Hog

Newcastle United: Mike Ashley puts Premier League club up for sale

I've read the letter, it basically goes without saying that her accusations against the Saudi regime are fair.

Unfortunately its utterly groundless in its relation to Newcastle fans and largely incorrect in regards the wider footballing context too.

Claim after claim about being "tempted" by this offer, as if its an offer made directly to fans. We need to THINK about accepting it apparently, as if that impacts anything in this situation.

"The rules of the premier league do not allow the Crown Prince to own and control your club." This simply isn't a fact as stated and it remains to be seen whether the PL make that judgement, but that has nothing to do with us either.

"Your voice will be so very powerful"

Will.

It.

Fuck.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well that’s it as well, if anything the letter should be aimed at the seller, and even then it would be too late. It’s less emotive that way though 

So why do the BBC keep pushing this?

A state run broadcasting company. A state that engages very enthusiastically with the Kingdom of Saud quite happily when it comes to weapons etc.

Edited by Dougle
  • Like 3

I also don’t understand all these journalists running stories about rival PL clubs opposing it. They surely cannot have any say, otherwise you’re allowing them to have a say in the future and ability of a direct rival. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Howay said:

I also don’t understand all these journalists running stories about rival PL clubs opposing it. They surely cannot have any say, otherwise you’re allowing them to have a say in the future and ability of a direct rival. 

Aye thats a weird one.

Surely every competing club doesn't want any other competing club to be taken over by wealthier or more ambitious owners.

• Like 2

There is surely no way that any PL club can possibly block this deal on the grounds of just being scared of the financial muscle. The only basis they'd have would be the piracy issue even if it's just a smoke screen.

I still don't see how this doesn't go through really - even if there was something in the piracy stuff, how can the Premier League make that judgement outside of proper legal channels? Why would it risk that?

• Like 2

Aye, I also don’t see how blocking it on those grounds would help their cause. If anything, if it was true, they’d double down on it. They’d need a pretty solid case to block a deal over a link which the Saudis have successfully disproven in a court, it’s not just the Saudis the PL would burn here they’d be blocking Ashley from £300m which he is likely going to use to buy up SD shares, so I can’t see it being something he’d sit back and accept. 

6 minutes ago, Dougle said:

When does logic ever come into an agenda driven thing?

True, I just don’t see how they’d be able to win in court. Saying that them taking their sweet time on this could be them trying to come up with that case. 

If this can be rejected for any ‘legitimate’ reason it will be.

The fat cats at the table do not want another Man City dividing the spoils.

On the other hand, it makes the Premier League utterly invincible on the global scene, if this goes through.

I just dont think they'll have the stones to reject it. It's not closing the door on this takeover, it's rejecting the Saudis full stop. And all they'll do is go and invest in another league and draw attention and money away from the PL.

Personally I don’t think the PL has the stones or the grounds to deny it but we’ll see. Even if they do I’d expect it to be challenged in court. I doubt they’re concerned with the human rights aspects though, they might take longer for the sake of appearances but that’s it. And btw if they waved through Abramovich and Shinawatra you have to wonder how PIF wouldn’t qualify

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kitman said:

Personally I don’t think the PL has the stones or the grounds to deny it but we’ll see. Even if they do I’d expect it to be challenged in court. I doubt they’re concerned with the human rights aspects though, they might take longer for the sake of appearances but that’s it. And btw if they waved through Abramovich and Shinawatra you have to wonder how PIF wouldn’t qualify

If it's man City objecting, their last two owners should have failed any fit and proper test on moral grounds. 

3 hours ago, NJS said:

If it's man City objecting, their last two owners should have failed any fit and proper test on moral grounds. 

What makes you think that city would complain. We've been suffering this agenda shit since pep started winning big. The fact we're being done for FFP is a direct influence of that agenda! But hey from city fans welcome to the club, we need someone else to take this flak from the g14, I really don't think man city would be objecting. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, blueman said:

What makes you think that city would complain. We've been suffering this agenda shit since pep started winning big. The fact we're being done for FFP is a direct influence of that agenda! But hey from city fans welcome to the club, we need someone else to take this flak from the g14, I really don't think man city would be objecting. 

I was just thinking from a UAE/Saudi antipathy pov rather than anything related to football. 

• Like 2

The FA should come to a decision soon. It’s ridiculous how the process is now played out in public with every numpty trying to have his say.

You have to laugh at what people pretend they think is important. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

lolz

He’s been trying for this piracy meeting for over a year with no luck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Alex said:

You have to laugh at what people pretend they think is important. 

It doesn't cause any harm to sell weapons to Saudi Arabia to get some other stupid muslims killed, but beware of the threat to the general public because some arabs are able to watch british sports without paying for it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Tom said:

He’s been trying for this piracy meeting for over a year with no luck.

It’s all noise. I still haven’t heard anything from my man to suggest it won’t go through