Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

Don't claim to know much about this sort of thing but I'd imagine HMRC would want any money owed to them and would prefer that without an expensive court case they may not even win. I'd guess there'd be some sort of fine imposed too and that would be about it. I think the idea of some huge points deduction is all the mackems have to live for at the moment and are willing it to be a realistic outcome 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Don't claim to know much about this sort of thing but I'd imagine HMRC would want any money owed to them and would prefer that without an expensive court case they may not even win. I'd guess there'd be some sort of fine imposed too and that would be about it. I think the idea of some huge points deduction is all the mackems have to live for at the moment and are willing it to be a realistic outcome 

Aye, it’ll be a fine, the taxes that were owed, plus interest on that money from the time it should have been paid. 

They’re pinning a lot of their hopes on the Swindon thing. The thing was though the Swindon one was more transfers and was in the early 90’s, it’s also worth noting that Swindon were originally meant to be barred promotion and relegated, they fought it and got the relegation bit taken away then ran out of money when they tried to fight the taking away of their promotion. 

Its pure fantasy land stuff from the mackems imo. 

Why wouldn't it be a points deduction? We've allegedly fiddled tax to save ourselves money on deals and subsequently put ourselves at an advantage over other clubs. Clubs get points deductions for financial mismanagement/administration so it's not beyond the relams of possibility that NUFC gets hammered to make an example of us. The reality is no-one knows either way (which was my original point). People saying we definitely aren't getting a point deduction are as blinkered as the mackems saying we definitely are. 

41 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Why wouldn't it be a points deduction? We've allegedly fiddled tax to save ourselves money on deals and subsequently put ourselves at an advantage over other clubs. Clubs get points deductions for financial mismanagement/administration so it's not beyond the relams of possibility that NUFC gets hammered to make an example of us. The reality is no-one knows either way (which was my original point). People saying we definitely aren't getting a point deduction are as blinkered as the mackems saying we definitely are. 

No one is as blinkered as the mackems

I'm not saying it's impossible (although I think the mackems hope of an automatic relegation situation is), I just personally don't see it as being massively likely as the FA haven't exactly been particularly heavy handed with points deductions on PL sides. I think it also opens a bit of a can of worms for the FA as clubs like Manchester United and Manchester City have been taking some pretty aggressive stances themselves to ensure players pay less tax on their wages with the way they structure where those wages are coming from.

I saw it as a bit of a show of force by HMRC doing the raid and arresting a man as he quivered under his desk, rather than making me think it is a huge issue. I'm working on something currently where a company is defending their position over potentially structuring a deal to avoid $8bn worth of tax, they were never raided they just got a letter. I think the fact the press aren't making a massive deal out of it leans to the fact it's not going to be a massive deal. The bid also came after the allegations so it's not like they're going to suddenly get caught by surprise with it.

Edited by Howay
  • Like 1

Any purchaser would put an indemnity into the purchase agreement to protect their position. In effect any losses due to the hmrc investigation would be refunded bu ashley from the purchase price. Theres no reason why is should derail any deal.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Kitman said:

Its far more likely imo that ashley would derail a deal by asking for too much money. If there is a deal at all.

:lol:

No doubt whatsoever the biggest threat to a takeover is our glorious owner being a fucking knacker.

2 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

:lol:

No doubt whatsoever the biggest threat to a takeover is our glorious owner being a fucking knacker.

Very true. I can imagine him sailing through negotiations until the day comes to sign the contracts and he decides to ask for an extra £50mil

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Very true. I can imagine him sailing through negotiations until the day comes to sign the contracts and he decides to ask for an extra £50mil

That's too close to what could happen for me to laugh without worrying. :lol:

2 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Boro when they decided to no-show for a game!

That was funny - if they'd sent their under 14s and lost 12-0 they wouldn't have been relegated which they were because of the points deduction.

Spurs had a 12 point deduction for tax stuff but they hired better lawyers than the FA's and had it thrown out - something we should learn from in the event of of it happening.

42 minutes ago, StoneColdStephenIreland said:

That's 20 year ago so no chance they'll bring a points deduction on us. There's been much worse things happened since then without that as a punishment. 

The FA love money anyway so it'll be a little fine.

I know it would be classic whataboutery but regarding worse things I'd bring up the West Ham/Liverpool/Man Utd Tevez/Mascherano thing which was fucking disgraceful.

What...the Arabs don't love Newcastle no more?  The Arabs have no love for Rafa and Ritchie?  Y'all don't love us?!  Y'all don't love us?!!  Well let it be known den! We know y'all east coast.  We know where the fuck we at! :mad:

• Tom changed the title to Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official