Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

I do imagine that there was a deadline but it's hard to believe that the deadline is something that the Saudis would have agreed to if the matter was broadly outside of their control. The PL are taking the piss here of course.

Also I think it's quite likely that Ashley is aware that Mauriss is just smoke and mirrors for Qatar. If we're aware, he's almost certainly aware. A bird in the hand, etc.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-takeover-takes-new-twist-22392460

No new information means it’s time to run the “deals off” type stories. I was saying this is disgraceful weeks ago but it’s absolute insanity that they’re having a club enter the summer transfer window in this position. If they don’t want it through they need to reject it and face the inevitable legal force of the Saudi Arabians. I’m honestly surprised Ashley isn’t kicking off with them at this point as from his perspective he’s sold the club and is done with it, he obviously wants this money that is currently tied up for another purpose. I guess they think they’re fine to just indefinitely hold it up, but at some point they’re being negligent and have a duty of care to the owner and potential owner of a member club. 

• Like 1

I don’t think they have any real “legal” right to block it. Personally I’m absolutely sick of it.

The PL are absolute clowns

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I do worry that they’ve fucked it by banning Bein but I have no idea if that gives the PL any real legal excuse to block it.

I think that’s what has caused this delay (or they’re going to act like that now anyway). I think the issue is that selling the rights like they do for the entire MENA region is frankly absurd and if the Saudis want nothing to do with Qatar I don’t see how the PL can force them to do so. Since they also can’t legally tie the Saudis directly to the piracy operation (that has been shut down anyway) I agree there’s not much the PL will have in their pocket from a legal standpoint.

I will say though if it truly is the latest Saudi action that they’re now pinning this on then they should just reject it and get ready to be sued to oblivion, as there’s not a fucking hope in hell that they’re going to convince the Saudi Arabians to allow a Qatari network to operate within their country over a £350m deal :lol:. The other option is to try to negotiate a break up of the MENA region rights, but it seems the PL aren’t even wanting to try that so they’re going with the outrageous decision to sit on the deal and hope it all goes away. From the SA standpoint, while it’s annoying, I don’t see how it has much impact on them other than delaying their plans this is why I’m wondering when Ashley will kick up a fuss as he’s sort of locked into it with the £17m non-refundable payment, and the fact the deal is agreed pending this review, I’d also read somewhere that only one O&D test can be conducted at a time so any other potential buyer would have to wait. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I do worry that they’ve fucked it by banning Bein but I have no idea if that gives the PL any real legal excuse to block it.

I don’t think it does but I haven’t been able to gather enough information on which basis the PL can offer TV rights to a whole region instead of single nations as in most of Europe. They are basically forcing certain nations to accept cross border broadcasting, something they have been rigidly opposing in Europe although there is a common market.

As much as I am aware MENA is only a term for a region but not a legal entity. There seem to be multinational agreements about certain aspects dealing with broadcasting in the region like Arabsat. But in the same way the existence of Astra never stopped European leagues to sell tv rights exclusively.

I doubt there is an existing international agreement between KSA and Qatar securing each other’s access to either market.

As I see it the PL are just scared of one their main TV partners and how bein would react to a takeover, probably withholding payments. But as I said I can’t see the PL having the legal power and competence to force KSA to accept bein. 

• Like 3

I still have the feeling that we finally might see movement next week once the season is over. If the PL had wanted to block the deal because of piracy and human rights they probably would have done weeks ago. KSA blocking bein can’t really be an issue because it can’t affect the ability to own a football club. In the end it would be tough luck for Saudi Arabians not being able to watch it.

• Like 1

Only NUFC could manage to suck every ounce of joy out of a potential $260billion takeover 

The PL has surely got to land on yes or no before the transfer window opens

We are straddling the line between Bruce as manager and an extension to Manquillo vs Poch and Countinho coming in 

• Like 1

You also have to keep in mind that with bein being cancelled in Saudi Arabia people aren’t able to watch German, Spanish, Italian football as well as the Champions League and others. They will need to find a solution with all these associations as well.

"Newcastle United's sponsorship deal with Fun88 makes "no sense", according to a gambling industry expert.

The Magpies announced an extension with the Asian betting firm on Monday as the club's current hierarchy continued their approach of "business as usual" while the proposed buy-out fails to reach a resolution.

The Fun88 deal had been worked on since the turn of the year but an announcement was made as the club prepare to unveil new home shirts in time for the end of the season. It's understood the deal is worth in the region of £6m-a-year to the club - similar terms to the 2017 deal.

But the Fun88 extension arrives at a time when the Government is considering possible laws curbing online gambling.

This is journalist Duncan Castles' take:

"For a long time now the buying party was expecting a decision imminently. Obviously that didn't come.

I've been talking to someone involved in the process and the guidance is quite interesting. I would say that there's a sense that there's more doubt about the takeover going through than there has been previously. I'm not saying they don't expect it to happen or that they're not confident about it but previously their attitude has been 'I don't see a way that the Premier League can deny us the rights to takeover this club'.

(They said) we believe we have done all the right things and our financial plans are sufficient. They do not believe that if the approval does not come through it will be over piracy or human rights issues, which have been the two most prominent matters raised by opponents of the takeover.

Questons over piracy have been answered for a month. They feel they have answered questions in a way that should allow the deal to be approved. They would expect an answer from the Premier League on the approval soon because they cannot see any other areas where they can be questioned on"

The PL have definitely overplayed their hand here. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some sort of legal action taken even if the deal does go through 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Alex said:

The PL have definitely overplayed their hand here. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some sort of legal action taken even if the deal does go through 

They have turned it into an absolute farce.

Watch when another club wants to be taken over with Rose West, Jimmy Saville and Hindley as directors and see how it goes through with no issues.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

They have turned it into an absolute farce.

Watch when another club wants to be taken over with Rose West, Jimmy Saville and Hindley as directors and see how it goes through with no issues.

I think that’s a huge problem going forward for them. Whether this goes through or not there will have to be the same degree of scrutiny. There probably won’t be but I doubt the Saudis will let that lie and I don’t imagine the UK government are very impressed. I realise both of those groups are hardly paragons of virtue but that makes it worse, not better, for the PL in future. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

The premier league are shafting us completely now and it shows exactly what they think of the fans.  They should have a duty to look after their members and they are clearly not doing that with us.  It's impossible for us to plan for next season.  We keep being told that Bruce has done a fantastic job securing our premier league position for next season with so many games to go, but it's impossible to take the advantage that other teams in the same position are taking while we have an owner who has absolutely no interest in us.

I'm now certain that they're just hoping the Saudi's will go away so I can't see this being resolved before next season starts.

• Like 2

I read something early on which suggested other clubs has objected - presumably  the "rich" ones like Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool who don't like the idea of a bigger sugar daddies than theirs being allowed in.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if this was a factor given the influence of these clubs in the past.

How can there be any legal basis for other clubs objections being taken into consideration though? I think you’re probably correct but I think this puts the PL on very dangerous ground from s legal standpoint. I think DK is probably correct too but I can’t see that defeating the Saudis either. 

• Like 2

Aye definitely. You just have to look at how the usual media twerps, like Delaney, were framing it when there were rumors the Saudis were interested in buying Manchester United versus how they reacted to our potential takeover. The PL would have felt nigh on no pressure to wave the deal through, they’d have probably got it through before Bein were able to kick up any fuss. 

• Like 4

• Tom changed the title to Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official