Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

Just now, Carl said:

Would there be the same issues if the Norwegian governments investment company wanted to invest in Newcastle?

If the Norwegian government had not taken sufficient measures to crack down on LokiTV's long running piracy of the Premier League, yes.

It's got fuck all to do with where the buyers come from and everything to do with piracy.

Just now, The Fish said:

If the Norwegian government had not taken sufficient measures to crack down on LokiTV's long running piracy of the Premier League, yes.

It's got fuck all to do with where the buyers come from and everything to do with piracy.

That said though, if the Saudis completely walk away and are thoroughly pissed off then they’ll flood the region with piracy. Most of the region seems to have backed their horse over the Qataris’ too. They’ve already lost the Chinese market, in effect. It’s an issue but you have to also think Masters is in the pocket of the so-called big clubs (and Spurs) and acting in their interests 

23 minutes ago, The Fish said:

So it still comes down to PIF claiming independence and the Premier League not buying it. Or at least saying they don't believe it as leverage in their real issue, the piracy.

I was reading that the SA courts have officially declared that PIF is autonomous from the Saudi government so how dare the PL question the independence of the SA court system?

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

That said though, if the Saudis completely walk away and are thoroughly pissed off then they’ll flood the region with piracy. Most of the region seems to have backed their horse over the Qataris’ too. They’ve already lost the Chinese market, in effect. It’s an issue but you have to also think Masters is in the pocket of the so-called big clubs (and Spurs) and acting in their interests 

What I don't understand is this appears an easy fix. If the PL believe the state would be the ultimate owners, wouldn't it make sense to permit the move, as then the ultimate owners would have a vested interest in protecting the product? Does it matter if it's written down somewhere?

8 minutes ago, Alex said:

Aye, far better to have the Saudis inside the tent rather than outside pissing in.

Just now, Kid Dynamite said:

It seems clear that the Premier League are giving Ashley and Staveley false hope.

As much as I dislike the bloke, I can understand why, after jumping through the hoops they were told to, they are pissed off that computer still says no 

Are they? 

Reads to me like there is hope, but only if the PIF sort their shit out. Directing the anger at the PL is daft imo, they're protecting their product and who can blame them? It's a shame that it's us that're missing out on spondoolies, but if KSA hadn't pirated, if they'd settled with BEin, if they hadn't banned BEin permanently, if they'd provided a structure that was independent, we'd have new owners. To be honest, if they'd simply waited until after the takeover to have a pop at Qatar I'm not sure the PL would have had much of a say at all. 

38 minutes ago, Carl said:

Would there be the same issues if the Norwegian governments investment company wanted to invest in Newcastle?

Nah, there's Norway man.

Edited by OTF

Just now, ewerk said:

Check out the Masters apologist.

Don't get me wrong, they've stretched the remit of the test to breaking point, but it's being done to protect their product, so :dunno: 

Still think Ashley will be gone before the start of 21/22 season.

16 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Are they? 

Reads to me like there is hope, but only if the PIF sort their shit out. Directing the anger at the PL is daft imo, they're protecting their product and who can blame them? It's a shame that it's us that're missing out on spondoolies, but if KSA hadn't pirated, if they'd settled with BEin, if they hadn't banned BEin permanently, if they'd provided a structure that was independent, we'd have new owners. To be honest, if they'd simply waited until after the takeover to have a pop at Qatar I'm not sure the PL would have had much of a say at all. 

It was a daft idea to bundle all the rights up in one package for that region though. It was always likely to amount to loads of piracy issues, state sponsored (which hasn’t been proven anyway, irrespective of the likelihood) or otherwise. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Don't get me wrong, they've stretched the remit of the test to breaking point, but it's being done to protect their product, so :dunno: 

How’s it protecting their product by effectively forcing the Saudis to walk away? The bid being alive is the only leverage the PL has. What’s more likely if the Saudis do walk away? Them outbidding the Qataris next and handing a load of money to an organisation that’s sided with their regional rivals and effectively called them liars? Or flooding the market and undermining the value of those rights? It might be part of the PL’s strategy here but it seems like a miscalculation. I can well believe they’re arrogant enough to think it might work though. In reality, especially with the loss of the Chinese market and the covid situation, the money they’ve relied on in the past just won’t be as readily available. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, The Fish said:

he clearly wants out now, which is the one positive to take from all this. 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

It was a daft idea to bundle all the rights up in one package for that region though. It was always likely to amount to loads of piracy issues, state sponsored (which hasn’t been proven anyway, irrespective of the likelihood) or otherwise. 

I agree.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

How’s it protecting their product by effectively forcing the Saudis to walk away? The bid being alive is the only leverage the PL has. What’s more likely if the Saudis do walk away? Them outbidding the Qataris next and handing a load of money to an organisation that’s sided with their regional rivals and effectively called them liars? Or flooding the market and undermining the value of those rights? It might be part of the PL’s strategy here but it seems like a miscalculation. I can well believe they’re arrogant enough to think it might work though. In reality, especially with the loss of the Chinese market and the covid situation, the money they’ve relied on in the past just won’t be as readily available. 

It's arrogance on their part, I think. Do they honestly believe the Saudis care enough about buying a PL club to change their approach towards Qatar? I definitely think they would have been better off permitting the deal, then sorting out shit with BEin afterwards. Either by rejigging the way they bundle the deal for the region, or selling the MENA rights to a Saudi broadcaster?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

he clearly wants out now, which is the one positive to take from all this. 

Yep, I just think it'll take a while to get him to accept a bid from another party. Or it'll take a while for the Saudi's to sort their shit out to get their bid accepted.

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

It's arrogance on their part, I think. Do they honestly believe the Saudis care enough about buying a PL club to change their approach towards Qatar? I definitely think they would have been better off permitting the deal, then sorting out shit with BEin afterwards. Either by rejigging the way they bundle the deal for the region, or selling the MENA rights to a Saudi broadcaster?

Of course there’s every chance it’s largely about personal gain. If Masters keeps the most influential clubs sweet, he’s going to be rewarded. Ditto the Qataris. Because there’s only one way you win a World Cup bid 

48 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Yep, I just think it'll take a while to get him to accept a bid from another party. Or it'll take a while for the Saudi's to sort their shit out to get their bid accepted.

I think the Saudi ship has sailed tbh

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

I think the Saudi ship has sailed tbh

Probably. Can't see them returning to the table when the PL aren't budging on their stance and KSA are not about to dance to their tune.

My issue is the PL have made a pretty big assumption and everything they’re demanding hinges on them being correct. They want the O&D test to reflect the Saudi state and PiF are not separate entities, and are wanting the Saudis to change things regarding piracy, but if the PiF are a separate entity like has been put forward then they have no control over what the Saudis do regarding Bein. 

• Tom changed the title to Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official