Burnley vs Newcastle

LooneyToony

How many goals will Burnley score?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

He's a completely different class to anyone we've got up top, like. Bringing him up with the knackers we went to school with definitely won't help, I'll tell you now.

There's a lot more to his game than just heading and holding it up. Can be ferocious on his day and scare the pies out of defences.

I was quite happy after the match last night that most of the others in my local seemed to realise exactly what we are and weren't losing their shit over last nights defeat.  It wasn't great but what we're doing has us half way up the league with some very average (at best) players.  I'd rather watch this than see a load of gutless but more talented cunts like Sissoko prance about not giving a fuck.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Anorthernsoul said:

Too many fannies on here who can't hold their hands up and admit when we play shite and Rafa gets it wrong, we were playing fucking BURNLEY. Grow some balls, change your system and go to win the game. Don't start Perez or Diame who give us fuck all going forward, they don't defend so we might aswell have 9 men. 

People cream their pants over Rafa's tactics but his inability to change when it's not working costs us points and it's frustrating as fuck.

Think people are happy to criticise Rafa when he gets it wrong, but I can't believe the amount of moaning I'm seeing on twitter. We're a newly promoted side that's spent bugger all compared to most teams in the league. We were without one of our better players in the centre and for justifiable reasons Benitez prefers Joselu to Gayle or Mitrovic. Personally, I would have played Hayden ahead of Diame as the latter doesn't really do anything better than Hayden imo. That aside, we played the way we did because; a) Rafa is a pragmatic tactician, 2) he only has a certain caliber of player available, iii) Burnley are a resolute defensive team. 

If Benitez had more strength in his squad, and more depth, he may have set us up differently, even then I think the tactics we employed would have won us that game. As it stands, we are 9th in the league after 10 games, we've a good home record a good defensive record and we're getting more out of the players we have than I expected. 

Last night was a game that could have gone either way, it was very finely balanced and it was one lapse in concentration at the back that did for us. Most clubs will find Burnley a tough nut to crack at Turf Moor, and all but the best would be happy with a point. 

You say don't start Diame or Perez (and ignoring your assertion Perez doesn't contribute defensively for a minute), so who would you start instead? What system do you think would have got a better result?  

I'd have started 4-4-2 with Hayden in for Diame and Gayle in for Perez. Hayden holding with Shelvey playmaker. That would have mean't we had attacking threat and intent, the two wingers given the freedom to actually get at the fullback and two strikers to hit in the box. As it was we had Joselu wondering around up top on his todd, Perez not really playing anywhere, Diame looking lost as per and Shelvey couldn't stamp his authority on the game as he had no-one next to him to cover when he wanted to go forward.

I think we're doing really well at the minute first 10 games & we're 9th in the league . Yeah i was dissapointed last night but we really can't complain at what Rafa's doing with very limited outlay. I know the league is starting to take shape were a couple of wins can rocket you up the table. Equally a couple of losses can bring you down amongst the relegation places. But at the begining of the season we'd have all been happy at 9th position. Obviously we'll have a much better idea of were we're at after the next 5/10 games our next 5 are ....

Bournemouth (h)

Man Utd (a)

Watford (h)

West Brom (a)

Chelsea (a)

While we've got Rafa we've got hope obviously if the elephant in the room sold up & sodded off it would give Rafa the chance to build a team of players he really wanted not what he's having to make do with 

9 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

I'd have started 4-4-2 with Hayden in for Diame and Gayle in for Perez. Hayden holding with Shelvey playmaker. That would have mean't we had attacking threat and intent, the two wingers given the freedom to actually get at the fullback and two strikers to hit in the box. As it was we had Joselu wondering around up top on his todd, Perez not really playing anywhere, Diame looking lost as per and Shelvey couldn't stamp his authority on the game as he had no-one next to him to cover when he wanted to go forward.

Don't see how a man less in midfield, in effect, gives the wingers more freedom to attack. Obviously we'll never know. Agree about Hayden instead of Diame even if the latter looks a bit better playing deeper (he couldn't look much worse).

Hayden had a minor inj and wasn't risked to start.

The ideal mf with this lot is:

Atsu....................................Ritchie

...................Baldy...............

........Merino.............Haydn

24 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

I’d like to see us line up like that too but wtf do I know? 

In rafa we trust 

They would have more freedom as there would have been two targets to hit in the box, when there's only one up front they are being asked to play a different game. For me Atsu is better utilised when he's got space to run into and have a good go at the fullback. In recent games our shape isn't allowing him to do that. 

Just now, Park Life said:

Hayden had a minor inj and wasn't risked to start.

The ideal mf with this lot is:

Atsu....................................Ritchie

...................Baldy...............

........Merino.............Haydn

Agreed, but switch baldy to the deeper role for Merino 

25 minutes ago, trooper said:

I think we're doing really well at the minute first 10 games & we're 9th in the league . Yeah i was dissapointed last night but we really can't complain at what Rafa's doing with very limited outlay. I know the league is starting to take shape were a couple of wins can rocket you up the table. Equally a couple of losses can bring you down amongst the relegation places. But at the begining of the season we'd have all been happy at 9th position. Obviously we'll have a much better idea of were we're at after the next 5/10 games our next 5 are ....

Bournemouth (h)

Man Utd (a)

Watford (h)

West Brom (a)

Chelsea (a)

While we've got Rafa we've got hope obviously if the elephant in the room sold up & sodded off it would give Rafa the chance to build a team of players he really wanted not what he's having to make do with 

i can see us potentially frustrating man u and chelsea. west brom is the sort of game we'll probably lose by the odd goal

6 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

They would have more freedom as there would have been two targets to hit in the box, when there's only one up front they are being asked to play a different game. For me Atsu is better utilised when he's got space to run into and have a good go at the fullback. In recent games our shape isn't allowing him to do that. 

two up front isn't the modern way, is it? it's not just rafa who plays the 4-2-3-1 system

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Agreed, but switch baldy to the deeper role for Merino 

That works as well.

Get this geezer in (still relatively under the radar) for Ritchie and can play left wing as well. Probs get him for 5/6m

https://www.transfermarkt.com/oussama-idrissi/profil/spieler/241391

Edited by Park Life