Burnley vs Newcastle

LooneyToony

How many goals will Burnley score?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

They would have more freedom as there would have been two targets to hit in the box, when there's only one up front they are being asked to play a different game. For me Atsu is better utilised when he's got space to run into and have a good go at the fullback. In recent games our shape isn't allowing him to do that. 

You can't play 2 up in the PL unless you want to get battered.

11 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

They would have more freedom as there would have been two targets to hit in the box, when there's only one up front they are being asked to play a different game. For me Atsu is better utilised when he's got space to run into and have a good go at the fullback. In recent games our shape isn't allowing him to do that. 

If you don't have the ball you don't have more freedom

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

or put ritchie in the hole and give murphy a gan out wide. one for PL :razz:

I think Ritchie might be an option there but you then have the problem of who to play in his place. If it's Murphy it's playing two young, inexperienced wingers who might get hung out to dry when the crowd starts having a pop when things don't come off for them, which is inevtiable given their level of experience at this level etc.

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think Ritchie might be an option there but you then have the problem of who to play in his place. If it's Murphy it's playing two young, inexperienced wingers who might get hung out to dry when the crowd starts having a pop when things don't come off for them, which is inevtiable given their level of experience at this level etc.

or it's aarons, so ditto there too. 

i fully respect and appreciate the job rafa has done this season, but the one role i do wonder about is perez. i don't think he works hard enough, is physical enough, or creates/scores enough to cement the number 10 role, which is such an important role in this system. you need someone who grafts off the ball, who is strong enough to mix it with PL defenders, and who can link up the midfield with the lone striker. he's struggling with all of that. 

I'd go for Shelvey as the furthest forward of the three midfielders with Merino and Hayden behind him.  Merino does too much good work winning the ball to move him further forward for me.  He's much more disciplined than Shelvey is too so he gives us a much better shield for the back four.

Otherwise I'd go for two forwards.  I know the argument against two up top these days but if it's a choice between that and Perez fannying around I'd go for the two.  Perez does fuck all anyway so I don't really see how changing him for Gayle or Mitro is going to cost us in midfield.

I’d actually try mitro up front with joselu playing behind .. he’s been running non stop with not much end product.. so put him slightly behind a target man .. and gayle / perez subs .. and mitro will take some marking leaving some extra space for wingers / joselu (maybe)..

Edited by zerosum

Also worth noting that Ritchie has been closed down completely last couple of games.. getting no where near the freedom he was in Aug/Sept..even having to swap wings with Atsu at times .. we need to create some space for him to shine. Maybe a target man like Mitro will help take some heat off him.

Edited by zerosum
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, zerosum said:

Also worth noting that Ritchie has been closed down completely last couple of games.. getting no where near the freedom he was in Aug/Sept..even having to swap wings with Atsu at times .. we need to create some space for him to shine. Maybe a target man like Mitro will help take some heat off him.

Picks up the ball too deep.

He must be scratching his head like. He scored 20 odd goals last season despite being injured for most of it then it emerges Rafa would have been willing to sell him in the summer, then he’s kept out of the team by a shot shy Stoke reject. 

4 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

He must be scratching his head like. He scored 20 odd goals last season despite being injured for most of it then it emerges Rafa would have been willing to sell him in the summer, then he’s kept out of the team by a shot shy Stoke reject. 

No its largely because when he has played he looks constantly injured 

Edited by 247

13 hours ago, zerosum said:

I’d actually try mitro up front with joselu playing behind .. he’s been running non stop with not much end product.. so put him slightly behind a target man .. and gayle / perez subs .. and mitro will take some marking leaving some extra space for wingers / joselu (maybe)..

Joselu in the no. 10 role would be an absolute sight to behold :lol:

12 hours ago, Park Life said:

Picks up the ball too deep.

Aye. Has little choice as most around him dont have the ability to make a decent forward pass. Merino coming in in the centre will help with that hopefully. 

• Like 1

It all comes back to Ashley not allowing Rafa to sign a striker in the summer. Yet again the blames at Ashley's door. Remember Rafa saying "i'm having to buy what i need not what i want" in the last week or so of the window.

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Were we even linked with a half decent striker in the summer? Bas Dost is the only one who springs to mind.

Bas Dost is linked in every window, it's like the lack of activity means the media need to report something so he is their go-to man.

Edited by Anorthernsoul

This buy out is our last bit of hope of Rafa being able to take the club forward. If we're in a simikar position to were we are at the moment Rafa can forget about transfers in January. That's when i see  things coming to a head with Rafa & Ashley. The best thing for everyone concerned Ashley, Rafa, the players & the fans is to allow the club to have new owners who would i'm sure share Rafa's visions for the club. Are there any updates on the sale ? it seems to have gone very quiet