Burnley vs Newcastle

LooneyToony

How many goals will Burnley score?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

But nah, I just remember watching him over the years and wondering why he didn’t feature more for England. I do think English coaches place more emphasis than their foreign counterparts on combative players over ones with genuine class on the ball but who maybe don’t work as hard without it. The Jordon Henderson obsession backs that up. How the fuck is he England captain. Successive England managers love him but he’s basically a water carrier. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

On 11/3/2017 at 0:09 PM, David Kelly said:

I'm using the metric of my eyes seeing him doing fuck all except turnover possession.

I know this is the Burnley match thread but I was speaking generally about Perez so I'm not concerned with his link up with Diame as they will barely ever play at the same time.  I really don't see him as a pest to anyone but us.  We don't have a lot of possession up the field so him losing it so often is a problem.  I'm not saying this because I think possession generally is that important, certainly not at our level, but being able to build a platform up the field is and he stops us from doing that.  When Diame came on against Palace (combined with Merino's introduction a bit earlier) we were able to retain possession in the final third and build attacks which lead to our first efforts on target of the game, and ultimately the winning goal.  I'm not saying Diame is better than Perez in that position as usually he's just as bad (and more lumbering) but on that occasion he did what was needed.

I think our improvement was more down to Merino than Diame. Diame is slower, loses possession more and offers little if anything more in attack.

I think everyone agrees that we don't really have anyone who is particularly suited to position, what I'm saying is that we should be looking to adjust that position within the system (by playing Shelvey further forward would be my idea) or dispense with it in favour of another striker.  IMO we wouldn't actually lose a man in midfield because Perez causes us more problems in there by losing possession than he solves by any harassing he may do of the oppositions defence.

Trouble with shifting Shelvey further forward is you neuter his ability to rapidly turn defence into attack with his searching 40yd balls. We simply haven't got the kind of #10 that Benitez wants at the club. 

If you want to play someone in there just to close down the opposition, I'd suggest that Ritchie would be a better bet.  He actually works hard to close down his man and retains possession for us.  I know he's never been tried there but I can't see him doing worse than Perez or Diame.  The reservation would come from losing him down the right where he is our biggest threat and links up well with Yedlin. 

I suggested Ritchie in that role, but like you say we don't have someone of his standard to play on the right. Square pegs and all that.

Of course given that we're 9th in the table you could say that we don't really need to change much at all.  And as long as we can keep in and around this position I'd probably agree.  But if things start going south I think it would be a pressing concern.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think #10 is Perez's best position, and even in his best position he's not great. He's just the best choice, for the system that's been working for us. And that's because Ashley didn't let Benitez spend as much as he should have. Should we spend in January I'd expect improvements to be made across the squad, but the #10 role will surely be a priority.

On 04/11/2017 at 1:31 PM, Howmanheyman said:

I'm with Alex on this one, mind. Talented when he fancied it but a bit of a fanny.* Have you been talking to Spurs fans by any chance? :D

*take Beardsley, supremely talented footballer who grafted his bollocks off unlike hoddle.

It's a funny comment from Platini like, even allowing for hyperbole. He was probably one of the top 10 players of the 20th Century whereas was Hoddle even in the top 10 post-war English midfielders? Probably not. But the former's saying the latter would've won twice as many caps as he had if he'd been French. He obviously made a big impact in France but, then again, so did Tony Cascarino. Was Ligue 1 any good then? It was a period during which France failed to qualify for two World Cups iirc. 

20 minutes ago, Alex said:

It's a funny comment from Platini like, even allowing for hyperbole. He was probably one of the top 10 players of the 20th Century whereas was Hoddle even in the top 10 post-war English midfielders? Probably not. But the former's saying the latter would've won twice as many caps as he had if he'd been French. He obviously made a big impact in France but, then again, so did Tony Cascarino. Was Ligue 1 any good then? It was a period during which France failed to qualify for two World Cups iirc. 

He would've had more bad tackles but would also have had far more time on the ball back then and obviously would've had even more time in 'ligue urn'. ;)

On 04/11/2017 at 1:36 PM, Dr Gloom said:

Obviously I’d take Pedro over Glenda

Well shouldn't you be asking why the former didn't get more England caps? ;)

I only mention it because I was going to bring him up before Mr Heyman did because he was criminally underrated (and probably is even more so now). Might've been on here or chatting with Tooj or something but I said something along the lines of him perhaps being the most underrated British player ever. Certainly a good shout in the modern era at least.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Well shouldn't you be asking why the former didn't get more England caps? ;)

I only mention it because I was going to bring him up before Mr Heyman did because he was criminally underrated (and probably is even more so now). Might've been on here or chatting with Tooj or something but I said something along the lines of him perhaps being the most underrated British player ever. Certainly a good shout in the modern era at least.

only 59 caps! 

another example of a creative player being undervalued by england?

matt le tissier only won 8 caps. always thought he could have made it to a major tournament as a wild card off the bench option. or just to be brought on before the penalty shoot out. 

20 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

only 59 caps! 

another example of a creative player being undervalued by england?

Well no, because I don't accept Hoddle was undervalued ;)

I remember that match well. I remember at the time thinking how the fuck does Brain Moore not know what that free-kick was given for :lol:

Spot the Fenwick's carrier bag too at 3:52 :lol:

Pedro's graft as well, man. What a player. Robson was different class to the aforementioned Hoddle as well