What are your regrets?

Park Life

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Mortgage basically. Although I've got a plan to hopefully kick the fuck out of that in the next while. I haven't got/don't want kids which helps with any plan to do something different I suppose. 

Yeah makes sense. I'm kinda torn on this one because I'm basically ready to buy a house now, but feel that I should be happy in my life before I do, or risk being tied down to making sure I can afford to keep it. But then, the longer I wait, the longer I'm not financially 'free'.

24 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I'm not sure I have any significant regrets yet tbh, but I suspect they're around the corner.

Wasting all that time learning Chinese when the menus are in English.

• Like 1

Just now, Park Life said:

Wasting all that time learning Chinese when the menus are in English.

:lol: Agree that Chinese is unlikely to help me over the course of my life. Still would do it anyway if I had to do everything again. Wouldn't be where I am without it.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Yeah makes sense. I'm kinda torn on this one because I'm basically ready to buy a house now, but feel that I should be happy in my life before I do, or risk being tied down to making sure I can afford to keep it. But then, the longer I wait, the longer I'm not financially 'free'.

There's a lot to be said for just renting imo. Makes sense to size your house purchase to whatever job it is that makes you happy though. Otherwise you're trapped. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

:lol: Agree that Chinese is unlikely to help me over the course of my life. Still would do it anyway if I had to do everything again. Wouldn't be where I am without it.

I tried to learn Japanese but but it was taking whale too long...

26 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

There's a lot to be said for just renting imo. Makes sense to size your house purchase to whatever job it is that makes you happy though. Otherwise you're trapped. 

The flip side is if you can get a decent mortgage paid off by the time you are 55 (£200-300k) you're not trapped by the state into working until your 67 to get a pension. 

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

Youve got years left. I was nearly 40 before I discovered taxi driving.

:lol:

i was nearly 36 when i discovered I had a chronic lower back condition  

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Didn't go and see my Grandad enough in hospital before he died.

:( 

i know how this feels. 

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

the best financial move i ever made in my life, without a doubt, was buying a one bedroom flat in london in 2003. i was shitting myself before we got it, convinced there was a housing crash around the corner, which obviously never happened even after a global financial crisis. 

the bit about being trapped, i don't really get either. if you decide you want to move or make a radical change in your life, you have an asset to sell with equity to take with you into whatever it is you end up doing. or if the market falls through its arse you can always rent the property. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

Because of the way Londonomics have moved, buying now would mean a huge downturn in quality of life (in terms of location and property size) that I'm not willing to accept even if we could properly afford it and wanted to pay the ludicrous asking price for some soulless Zone 5 cackhole. Admittedly it does help that we've got landlords who haven't raised the rent since we moved in five years ago because they're happy we're looking after the place and they've had useless tenants in the past. A lot of private landlords are pretty terrible by comparison. Anyway, we're renting for the time being and tucking a bit away each month which, all else being equal for the next 25-30 years :lol::lol: , would mean being able to buy a place to retire to in the north outright when the time comes. That'll do as far as long-term planning is concerned, given absolutely anything could happen post-Brexit. Meanwhile: lovely local community and proximity to airports, gig venues and the theatre, dahling. It's alreet.

Obviously I'm secretly waiting for the fella to get bored of the place and fall in love with the Northumberland coast instead, but that might be a bit of an ask. :lol: 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Because of the way Londonomics have moved, buying now would mean a huge downturn in quality of life (in terms of location and property size) that I'm not willing to accept even if we could properly afford it and wanted to pay the ludicrous asking price for some soulless Zone 5 cackhole. Admittedly it does help that we've got landlords who haven't raised the rent since we moved in five years ago because they're happy we're looking after the place and they've had useless tenants in the past. A lot of private landlords are pretty terrible by comparison. Anyway, we're renting for the time being and tucking a bit away each month which, all else being equal for the next 25-30 years :lol::lol: , would mean being able to buy a place to retire to in the north outright when the time comes. That'll do as far as long-term planning is concerned, given absolutely anything could happen post-Brexit. Meanwhile: lovely local community and proximity to airports, gig venues and the theatre, dahling. It's alreet.

Obviously I'm secretly waiting for the fella to get bored of the place and fall in love with the Northumberland coast instead, but that might be a bit of an ask. :lol: 

Getting on the ladder in London now is pretty much impossible for young people unless they’re incredibly wealthy or have the incredibly generous parents. It’s sad. When I moved here it was still relatively affordability for people on a typical London income rather than a pipe dream. While I’ve personally benefited from trading up as prices increased, the whole thing is fucked. All the more galling when social housing estates are being demolished and replaced with “affordable” housing that few people can afford while at the top end the luxury apartments propping the market up are bought by Arab or Chinese investors and sit empty.