Newcastle vs Bournemouth

LooneyToony

How many goals will Newcastle score?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

i thought their signings looked alright on paper, other than hart, who's a dodgy keeper. better than ours at least. 

Aye, Hernandez, Arnautovic and Zabaleta looked shrewd signings; A reliable goal scorer, a mercurial talent and an experienced winning defender. 

Compared to Stoke's surplus striker, some kid with hardly any starts and a French centre back. Because we've been so lucky with those...  

oh oh and an ex Sunderland defender too.

5 hours ago, The Fish said:

No great surprise, but I bet they didn't cast the net as far as they could. Surely there'd be impressive coaches in the lower leagues, or someone from a foreign league? Managers who'd take a gamble if only for the chance of managing in the Premier League?

Chris Wilder, at Sheffield United, could have been a good bet - at least til the end of the season. He's got them 2nd in the Championship after just winning League 1 in his first season. Won League 2 with Northampton the season before too. Surely more inspiring than Moyes?

2 hours ago, trooper said:

I reckon after the next 4/5 games we'll have a true reflection of were we're really at.

Tbh, if we survive with this squad, it’s job done. Anything better is a Brucey bonus 

To say it's a miracle is an overstatement. We don't have a bad first team. We're lacking a bit in a No.9 and No.10 but we have enough there to stay up comfortably when you have a manager as good as ours.

Just now, ewerk said:

To say it's a miracle is an overstatement. We don't have a bad first team. We're lacking a bit in a No.9 and No.10 but we have enough there to stay up comfortably when you have a manager as good as ours.

At the start of the season most people had us down as favs to get relegated, 4th bottom was the target.

While a miracle is probably an overstatement, long shots to stay up would be more appropriate. Now with points in the bag, i'm very hopeful we'll stay up.

Maybe if/when we do it will be a minor miracle.  And, yes it's down to having a class manager because i have no doubt what so ever if Carver, Pardew or McClown was in charge of this squad this season we would be relegated for sure

He is a good manager but he can only do what he can do with what he's got he knows as well as we do  this team is a slightly upgraded championship team .  I can see the lack of goals really hurting us over the next few games

Edited by trooper

4 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

At the start of the season most people had us down as favs to get relegated, 4th bottom was the target.

While a miracle is probably an overstatement, long shots to stay up would be more appropriate.

None of that is true though. We were 4/1 to go down, there were five teams shorter than us to get relegated.

Our first team isn't that far behind a great swathe of the Premier League teams, but light years behind those who're challenging. 

You could make an argument for a few of our players getting into West Brom's side, or Southampton, or West Ham, and a few of theirs getting in ours. But none of our players would get on the bench for the top clubs.

Benitez is the difference maker, and despite the team's flaws, and his own, I think we're likely to stay up.

Of course a lot will depend on the January window if we're sold by then from what we've heard funds will be available. If not & Ashley's still here will he gamble again regarding transfer funds. Or  will he have to buy to ensure premiership safety thus making the club more sellable

Even if Ashley is still here and doesn’t spend much in January, which is what I suspect will happen, I think we’ll survive, thanks to Rafa. 

It wont be pretty and we’ll have to graft for our narrow victories and endure narrow defeats to teams we traditionally might have all expected to beat. 

It’s not really the season to be trying to get a 6 year old boy into football. 

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Even if Ashley is still here and doesn’t spend much in January, which is what I suspect will happen, I think we’ll survive, thanks to Rafa. 

It wont be pretty and we’ll have to graft for our narrow victories and endure narrow defeats to teams we traditionally might have all expected to beat. 

It’s not really the season to be trying to get a 6 year old boy into football. 

If we don't spend in January, I don't think Benitez will stay. And should he go, I can't see many managers capable of getting this group of players to safety. 

I think we'll be taken over and spend, or Ashley will stay and have to spend.

He’ll only spend if it looks like we’re in the shit. If we’re getting close to 30 points by then, he’ll gamble that we’ve got enough again - just like he did when it almost went tits up with pardew. 

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

He’ll only spend if it looks like we’re in the shit. If we’re getting close to 30 points by then, he’ll gamble that we’ve got enough again - just like he did when it almost went tits up with pardew. 

Aye, but should he take that gamble, he knows Benitez will tell him to get fucked, which will surely play on Ashley's mind?

I don’t expect him to change his approach for Rafa, even if it means he walks. And tbf, Rafa would probably keep us up with games to spare if we’re on 20 odd points by Christmas. We’re unlikely to go on the kind of run we did when pardew was in charge. 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

I don’t expect him to change his approach for Rafa, even if it means he walks. And tbf, Rafa would probably keep us up with games to spare if we’re on 20 odd points by Christmas. We’re unlikely to go on the kind of run we did when pardew was in charge. 

He changed his approach fro McClaren somewhat? And for Benitez.

??? He didn’t let him spend last janury or in the summer. 

Giving mcclaren a decent budget was an exception rather than the rule. Of all the managers to give it to...

45 minutes ago, ewerk said:

None of that is true though. We were 4/1 to go down, there were five teams shorter than us to get relegated.

I don't believe we were 4/1 to go down  at the start of the season, we are only 7/1 to go down now and we have 14 points 

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/relegation

15 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

??? He didn’t let him spend last janury or in the summer. 

Giving mcclaren a decent budget was an exception rather than the rule. Of all the managers to give it to...

I meant he allowed Benitez to sign players for the now, rather than for the resale. Last Summer and this. 

You're right though, imagine a) what Benitez could have done with McClaren's side, or 2) what Benitez could have done with that money.