Early Football memories

trooper

10 hours ago, Tdansmith said:

They were peanuts not monkey nuts :icon_lol:

"Peanuts, peanuts, tanner a bag peanuts"  he always got his money and the peanuts were always caught by the buyer, everytime.

Me dad remembers him. Also when I was kid peanuts still in their shell were referred to as monkey nuts

First games was keegan’s last, 3-1 against Brighton. I remember nothing except how fuckin massive keegans thighs looked when he ran past me, honestly shocked at the fuckin speed and power. 

Didnt see the nuts, monkey or otherwise.

My first football memory was watching my Uncle Peter's Going Up video from ITV.  I must've watched it 50 times.  My first actual game memory was Juventus v Liverpool in May 1985, great start to football in my mind.  The first time I'd ever been to a match was Liverpool's first away game after Heysel at SJP.  Some woman knitted me a dippers scarf along the street from me mams, I didn't have it on as it was so warm.  Anyway it was 0-0 at half time, and the noise was frightening, proper frightening, 7 year old sat in the West Stand old wooden seats with my sister who was 15, and me fatha.  We were brown as berries having just jumped off a plane from Cyprus the day before.  0-0 at HT. Every time we had a corner, the 6,000 in the wooden West Stand would stamp their feet, the noise was terrifying.  The all of a sudden at the Gallowgate, the shite George Reilly swooped in to make it 1-0. WAAAAAAAAAAAAH, I'd never experienced anything like it, cuddling me dad with nerves as the noise was insane.  It finished 1-0, I'll never forget it irrespective of having half a heed these days.  I got abused off all the kids in the street that night, so I decided there and then that night I wasn't supporting Liverpool anymore. I decided to support Man City, which was my second ever game, the toon won 3-1, we were in the West Stand again, and after that I thought fuck it....I'm supporting the toon! 

• Like 3

With my old man watching 76 cup final manu v Southampton, the following year he's fuckin mortal watching Scotland v England after the lunchtime sesh, throwing his shoes about the living room  & roaring like a caged bear, never mind his English born wife and 3 kids, when that goal post broke in two he fuckin loved it :lol:  I didnt suppprt anyone so one day i asked him who he supported..."Leicester City"..." why them??!" I asked...." the manager is an old mate of mine" It was true too, hed done his national service in Malaya with Jock Wallace in the KOSBs. Then he took me and my brother to our first game, a friendly  Poole Town v Southampton, I jumped 10 feet out of the stand to get Lawrie Mac's autograph, got a clip round the lug for that. After that we'd moved to Scotland and it was David Narey v Brazil in the 82 world cup, when that ball hit the back of the net he jumped out his seat and ran around the living room until his specs fell off and smashed on the hearth :lol:

At that point I was 12, and I wanted to go and watch proper football  he said " I don't want you going to Glasgow and getting involved in that bloody nonsense, if you want to you can go to Newcastle with Bobby Pringle and watch them, they're not very good but they've just signed Keegan" ....the rest as they say is history..hes just turned 82 now and is depressed as fuck anout the state of the Scotland team (has been for 20 years now tbf ) but still loves to watch a good game. Lucky still to have him around :good:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

With my old man watching 76 cup final manu v Southampton, the following year he's fuckin mortal watching Scotland v England after the lunchtime sesh, throwing his shoes about the living room  & roaring like a caged bear, never mind his English born wife and 3 kids, when that goal post broke in two he fuckin loved it :lol:  I didnt suppprt anyone so one day i asked him who he supported..."Leicester City"..." why them??!" I asked...." the manager is an old mate of mine" It was true too, hed done his national service in Malaya with Jock Wallace in the KOSBs. Then he took me and my brother to our first game, a friendly  Poole Town v Southampton, I jumped 10 feet out of the stand to get Lawrie Mac's autograph, got a clip round the lug for that. After that we'd moved to Scotland and it was David Narey v Brazil in the 82 world cup, when that ball hit the back of the net he jumped out his seat and ran around the living room until his specs fell off and smashed on the hearth :lol:

At that point I was 12, and I wanted to go and watch proper football  he said " I don't want you going to Glasgow and getting involved in that bloody nonsense, if you want to you can go to Newcastle with Bobby Pringle and watch them, they're not very good but they've just signed Keegan" ....the rest as they say is history..hes just turned 82 now and is depressed as fuck anout the state of the Scotland team (has been for 20 years now tbf ) but still loves to watch a good game. Lucky still to have him around :good:

Toe-punter tbh

39 minutes ago, McFaul said:

My first football memory was watching my Uncle Peter's Going Up video from ITV.  I must've watched it 50 times.  My first actual game memory was Juventus v Liverpool in May 1985, great start to football in my mind.  The first time I'd ever been to a match was Liverpool's first away game after Heysel at SJP.  Some woman knitted me a dippers scarf along the street from me mams, I didn't have it on as it was so warm.  Anyway it was 0-0 at half time, and the noise was frightening, proper frightening, 7 year old sat in the West Stand old wooden seats with my sister who was 15, and me fatha.  We were brown as berries having just jumped off a plane from Cyprus the day before.  0-0 at HT. Every time we had a corner, the 6,000 in the wooden West Stand would stamp their feet, the noise was terrifying.  The all of a sudden at the Gallowgate, the shite George Reilly swooped in to make it 1-0. WAAAAAAAAAAAAH, I'd never experienced anything like it, cuddling me dad with nerves as the noise was insane.  It finished 1-0, I'll never forget it irrespective of having half a heed these days.  I got abused off all the kids in the street that night, so I decided there and then that night I wasn't supporting Liverpool anymore. I decided to support Man City, which was my second ever game, the toon won 3-1, we were in the West Stand again, and after that I thought fuck it....I'm supporting the toon! 

Just brought back a few more of mine. I was in Liverpool for the match at Heysel. Me dad used to work for a government agency and used to arrange trips to local offices in half-term so we could have a bit of a (almost invariably shit) family holiday. I seem to remember Juve winning via a dodgy penalty and also recall some Mickey Mouser selling Liverpool European Champions 1985 t-shirts in the city centre the next day. Even as a 10 year old I couldn't believe the brass neck.

Recall sitting in the old West Stand for the first time for Auf Wiedersehen, Kev and the enduring memory is the people stamping their feet. Class.

Also, from around that time, remember when we lost away to Liverpool 4-nowt in the FA Cup in televised game?

Here's another one that i swear happened but i cant find anything in the archives it would be about Eldon Square had just opened it was either a league or fa cup home tie us v Ipswich Town. We woke up to a freezing day thick frost & fog there were matches being called off up & down the country due to the weather me & my mate sat listening to the radio as there was to be a pitch inspection anyway the inspection was passed we got to the ground late & took our place in the Gallowgate it was freezing the pitch looked solid in fact you could just see the white lines were they'd cleared the frost the fog was hanging over SJP anyway the match kicked off & we went 1-0 up after about 20 minutes the place went wild towards halftime the fog seemed to drop on SJP & it was getting hard to see the player & the ball. Halftime came the players went off then about 2 minutes later the announcement came over the tannoy the match was abandoned there was hell on we started to make our way out the ground down Westgate Rd towards the Central Station Skinheads were kindly booting peoples car doors in you could hear the sound of shop windows being broken. We made it to the station needing to get home to Felling the police wouldnt let us in the station. So we had to walk over to Worswick St bus station over the other side of town only to find the buses had been stopped we we proceede to walk over the Tyne Bridge home. When i got in mam & dad had been worried because the bother had made the news with shoppers being locked inside Eldon Square for their own safet On reflection the match should never have been started as the pitch looked shocking and even the steps on the Gallowgate were like death traps there's another memory that did happen although i may have the just done some digging it was a league game not a cup game 

http://www.footballsite.co.uk/Statistics/LeagueTables/Season1976-77/ClubResults/1976-77NewcastleUnited.html

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Alex said:

Remember that match well like. Was on holiday in Benidorm at the time.

Think Souness rates Zico in that match as the best player he's ever played against. About 35 degrees at pitchside that evening. Another player  said Brazil were so good they let Scotland have the ball in the areas where when they inevitably lost possession it was easy for Brazil to play one ball and they were in on goal. Lots of games played at 4pm just when we were getting home from school, we watched Italy put Brazil out in probably the best game is ever watched up to that point. 

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

Think Souness rates Zico in that match as the best player he's ever played against. About 35 degrees at pitchside that evening. Another player  said Brazil were so good they let Scotland have the ball in the areas where when they inevitably lost possession it was easy for Brazil to play one ball and they were in on goal. Lots of games played at 4pm just when we were getting home from school, we watched Italy put Brazil out in probably the best game is ever watched up to that point. 

Mentioned that earlier in the thread. Falcao's celebration :D

It was so long ago I can't remember who, when, or what, but I do remember being picked-up aheight and passed over peoples heads until I was down at the front sitting on the side-line with other kids who had been passed down because they were being squashed. I remember shouts of "kid coming doon"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ant said:

that's what we call them here as well still tbh

May well do here too but I haven't seen or heard of them for years probably because they're acutely fucking awful, especially compared to the normal ones. They're ok if they've been roasted in the shell but this specifically referred to the raw ones which is apparently what you got at the match. Me dad was saying you used to hoy your tanner (6d) to the bloke and he would chuck you a bag back and he wasn't a great shot and sometime somebody else would get and keep your nuts :lol:

4 minutes ago, adios said:

Ours are roasted too though, which I think was @Alex's point.

And thank fuck he clarified he wasn't a complete monkeynutist because I was about to LOSE IT.

Aye, they're spot on but the raw ones are basically bird feed.

I think my first football memory was watching the fa cup final replay in 1970 (strangely not the first game) which has always made me think I should remember the 1970 world cup but I think the kick off times weren't as euro friendly as they are now so they were too late for me then. 

I think my first NUFC one was Supermac's debut (second hand) and then going to the odd game from 74 on. I didn't start going really regularly until 78.

A home game against Peterborough back in 1993, just a bang average 3-0 win really but I remember it well because I was a kid and I was knocked off my perch behind the goal in the Gallowgate by a Liam O'Brien shot :icon_lol: Very fond memories of the Gallowgate terrace.

Edited by Anorthernsoul

My first football memory I think is watching some of the Man City v Spurs cup final where I remember my Dad getting a bit excited when Ricky Villa scored that goal where he beat a few defenders then after that it was Espana 82 where the main memory is playing football in the 'Rec' than getting called in for our tea and sitting down to watch a game.* The England v France game sticks out for some reason but the rest is sketchy even though I  remember them when seeing them as 'clips'. We were all Zico, Socrates and loved Brazil but thought of the likes of Rummenigge and Rossi as clinical masters of their art. Mexico 86 I remember crystal clear and alongside Italia 90 these 3 World cups are head and shoulders above the rest for me. The very first game I watched 'live' was some kind of testimonial/friendly game between Liverpool v Man U at Windsor Park. Me and my Dad were neutrals although I cheered on Liverpool for the sake of my uncle and cousins who were Liverpool fans, My Granda was a Glens fan who went to the odd Rangers game when he was younger. Anyway, remember celebrating when Liverpool went (I think) 2-0 up only for Man U to come back and get a winner as we were leaving, this was about a week before the 83-84 season and the likes of Dalglish, Souness, Rush etc would've been playing and Robson, Whiteside etc for Man U. What the game showed me was that terraces and celebrating goals etc was definitely for me and I'd already been hankering at my Dad to take me to a game but he wasn't that arsed on football despite going to the odd game as a bairn when we won cups, (he basically had itchy feet and joined the army for 12 years as his first choice the RN knocked him back as his education was wagging school, hitch hiking to London, playing in parks etc). Anyway, a week or two after my first live game in Belfast we were back home and played Shrewsbury a week or so after beating Leeds at Elland Road in the 1st game of the season. Obviously, I hadn't heard of Shrewsbury and obviously we got beat, (0-1). The crowd got agitated near the end and sung 'Imre' to the tune of 'here we go' as we weren't happy we'd sold Varadi. This was the only game I got to see KK in the flesh as a player as it was heaving in the Gallowgate and my old man worried about me getting squashed, (it didn't bother me at all!) Seeing the green grass as I climbed to the top of the concrete gallowgate steps either side of the grass banks and passing the concrete wall with 'Toilet' helpfully written on it by the club, I fell in love going to the match, hearing the craic of the older blokes, smelling the beer on their breaths and the hops wafting over from one of my future employers, Newcastle Breweries, the farting, the laughter, the 'dorty bastaad' comments and suchlike, :lol: an absolute mile away from being at todays games. When you think about it, I'm as far away from those days now as my Dad would've been from the days of Milburn but I'd imagine the period of the early 80s being more similar to my Dad's day than to todays experience. 

*The other time we'd eventually finish playing was when the walking zombies known as the 'glueys' would gather in the rec to sniff their bags of glue.

Edited by Howmanheyman
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

My first football memory I think is watching some of the Man City v Spurs cup final where I remember my Dad getting a bit excited when Ricky Villa scored that goal where he beat a few defenders then after that it was Espana 82 where the main memory is playing football in the 'Rec' than getting called in for our tea and sitting down to watch a game.* The England v France game sticks out for some reason but the rest is sketchy even though I  remember them when seeing them as 'clips'. We were all Zico, Socrates and loved Brazil but thought of the likes of Rummenigge and Rossi as clinical masters of their art. Mexico 86 I remember crystal clear and alongside Italia 90 these 3 World cups are head and shoulders above the rest for me. The very first game I watched 'live' was some kind of testimonial/friendly game between Liverpool v Man U at Windsor Park. Me and my Dad were neutrals although I cheered on Liverpool for the sake of my uncle and cousins who were Liverpool fans, My Granda was a Glens fan who went to the odd Rangers game when he was younger. Anyway, remember celebrating when Liverpool went (I think) 2-0 up only for Man U to come back and get a winner as we were leaving, this was about a week before the 83-84 season and the likes of Dalglish, Souness, Rush etc would've been playing and Robson, Whiteside etc for Man U. What the game showed me was that terraces and celebrating goals etc was definitely for me and I'd already been hankering at my Dad to take me to a game but he wasn't that arsed on football despite going to the odd game as a bairn when we won cups, (he basically had itchy feet and joined the army for 12 years as his first choice the RN knocked him back as his education was wagging school, hitch hiking to London, playing in parks etc). Anyway, a week or two after my first live game in Belfast we were back home and played Shrewsbury a week or so after beating Leeds at Elland Road in the 1st game of the season. Obviously, I hadn't heard of Shrewsbury and obviously we got beat, (0-1). The crowd got agitated near the end and sung 'Imre' to the tune of 'here we go' as we weren't happy we'd sold Varadi. This was the only game I got to see KK in the flesh as a player as it was heaving in the Gallowgate and my old man worried about me getting squashed, (it didn't bother me at all!) Seeing the green grass as I climbed to the top of the concrete gallowgate steps either side of the grass banks and passing the concrete wall with 'Toilet' helpfully written on it by the club, I fell in love going to the match, hearing the craic of the older blokes, smelling the beer on their breaths and the hops wafting over from one of my future employers, Newcastle Breweries, the farting, the laughter, the 'dorty bastaad' comments and suchlike, :lol: an absolute mile away from being at todays games. When you think about it, I'm as far away from those days now as my Dad would've been from the days of Milburn but I'd imagine the period of the early 80s being more similar to my Dad's day than to todays experience. 

*The other time we'd eventually finish playing was when the walking zombies known as the 'glueys' would gather in the rec to sniff their bags of glue.

Nice one Davey

4 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

First game, in the Leazes in the mid to late 70's, when the match was called off.  Can't remember who we were playing, though :) 

Nobody very happy

Ipswich? Half time? Frozen pitch? 

I suppose it could class as early as I was only 10 but Stoke away back in 1995, the team were dominate and could have won the game by double the 4-0 scoreline in the end. We sang "Shaka is a dancer" as he danced for the crowd behind his goal in the second half. Their old ground being terracing and we were packed in behind the fencing. What I remember the game for is the violence before and after the game, being a young lad at an away game like that was scary and I was running through the streets as buses were attacked and fans were going toe to toe all over the city. I seen a Newcastle fan stabbed and we were hiding in a pub at one point. It was chaos and I've yet to see such bedlam at an away game since. The police had a nightmare that night.

The talk of international tournaments has triggered a memory of my dad's reaction to Gazza sliding in during the Euro 96 semi-final and missing a tap-in by a fanny hair. That's the first tournament I can remember even if it is just little snapshots. Pearce's penalty, Suker's chip. In fact, I remember being excited that Suker was signing for Arsenal a few years later and being able to see him play in England, solely because of that chip.