Early Football memories

trooper

4 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

The talk of international tournaments has triggered a memory of my dad's reaction to Gazza sliding in during the Euro 96 semi-final and missing a tap-in by a fanny hair. That's the first tournament I can remember even if it is just little snapshots. Pearce's penalty, Suker's chip. In fact, I remember being excited that Suker was signing for Arsenal a few years later and being able to see him play in England, solely because of that chin.

Was at that match and right next to where he went beserk after scorng that.

Edit: Also fyp

Edited by Alex

3 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Were the tickets like rocking horse shit for that tournament? Looking back, I'm surprised my dad and his brothers didn't get to any. 

I managed to get a one for SJP to see Romania v Bulgaria but I didn't even bother applying for any more as I didn't think I'd get them and was skint anyway having just graduated. But my Dad and his brother went to the World Cup in '94 and met a couple of lads from North Carolina who were football fans. They came over for Euro 96 and stayed with us and they'd applied for some tickets and then applied again thinking they wouldn't get as many as they wanted but they got the lot. They saw England v Scotland as well which I had the chance to go to but had already planned to go camping in the Lakes that weekend (which was class so don't even regret that decision) and ended up seeing that match with a load of sound Sweaties in a pub in Keswick.

Been trying to think if I can dredge up anything specific from before Mexico 1986, which I remember plenty about (from Aztec Gold to that Uruguay red card in the first minute :lol: ). My first game at SJP was later that year (Man City at home) so I suppose it makes sense I can't really recall that much from before. You'd think something like Heysel might have made an impression but apparently not.

We had those News of the World "pocket" football annuals around the house and I remember poring over them as a little kid. Definitely this one:

s-l225.jpg

...and I reckon the ones from the years before too like the 1984-85 one, so between that, sticker albums, Football Manager on the Vic-20 and Subbuteo, I was a proper little statto before even having been to a game. Basically just a nerd waiting for internet messageboards to be invented. :lol: 

10 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Been trying to think if I can dredge up anything specific from before Mexico 1986, which I remember plenty about (from Aztec Gold to that Uruguay red card in the first minute :lol: ). My first game at SJP was later that year (Man City at home) so I suppose it makes sense I can't really recall that much from before. You'd think something like Heysel might have made an impression but apparently not.

We had those News of the World "pocket" football annuals around the house and I remember poring over them as a little kid. Definitely this one:

s-l225.jpg

...and I reckon the ones from the years before too like the 1984-85 one, so between that, sticker albums, Football Manager on the Vic-20 and Subbuteo, I was a proper little statto before even having been to a game. Basically just a nerd waiting for internet messageboards to be invented. :lol: 

I used to love reading results/match reports as well. My dad had a big stack of Black & White magazines stretching from our promotion to 95/96 so I had an innate knowledge of when Scott Sellars scored, even without watching him. I also had a huge book, that I can find no info on now, that had the complete results of England's First Division from its inception until about 1985, which I'm assuming was my Dads. I think it had Cup results in, along with some little historical articles to give some context. I used to read that cover to cover when I was bored.

19 hours ago, NJS said:

Ipswich? Half time? Frozen pitch? 

Could well be.  The craic at the time was more fun than the game :) 

Also remember being thrown out of the Gallowgate at one time for sitting on a wall - seemed a bit harsh at the time.

I moved up to the North East in October 1974 we lived in Felling for a couple of years before moving to Cramlington  to be near my dads job at Brentford Nylons. It was a few months after the cup final not only was i the new kid in school i was the new kid with a scouse accent. Obiviously the school bully didn't take to kindly to me as he was a mad Newcastle fan one day he had me pinned up against the wall in the school corridor. Thankfully the headmaster came round the corner just as he was about to give me a beating & saved my bacon. He left me alone after he saw me at the match a few times.

10 hours ago, trooper said:

I moved up to the North East in October 1974 we lived in Felling for a couple of years before moving to Cramlington  to be near my dads job at Brentford Nylons. It was a few months after the cup final not only was i the new kid in school i was the new kid with a scouse accent. Obiviously the school bully didn't take to kindly to me as he was a mad Newcastle fan one day he had me pinned up against the wall in the school corridor. Thankfully the headmaster came round the corner just as he was about to give me a beating & saved my bacon. He left me alone after he saw me at the match a few times.

Felling has changed a lot since 1974, it has an Aldi and a Lidl now on the the site of the CWS

Earliest football memory was England getting beat off Germany at Mexico, 1970 World Cup, the Banks-Bonnetti catastrophe. Beckenbauer was a marvel to my young mincers.First significant Toon experience was Supermacs home debut v Liverpool, smacked in a hat trick then carried off minus his front teeth, instant idol.