ATSU

Anorthernsoul

I like Chris Atsu. Seems a nice bloke. Genuine. I just don't think he's a Prem level player. He'd do fine in the Championship but his returns for his games in the Prem and the good games aren't really good enough. He's not a threat and doesn't seem to have an idea when he's got the ball. He'd do well if loaned to Sunderland.

Just now, TheGingerQuiff said:

Come on, you could endorse any player in the division if being better than Obertan made you not shite

that's what i mean though. atsu obviously isn't the best but as far as squad players go, we've had way, way worse - amalfitano, marveaux, abeid, xisco, the irish kid that CT had a boner for, gouffran, cabella, thauvin, rivierie etc. i don't mind him compared to a lot of the shite we've had to endure  

we could do with better players in most positions, but ashley's tenure is the benchmark, so it's only fair to compare to him to others we've had in recent years, as that's the kind we can expect to buy more often than not, given the constraints. ideally ritchie would be a squad player too but i wouldn't get rid of him either

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

actually, the gouff had his day, so maybe including him was harsh, he's probably on par with atsu, score more goals but atsu is quicker

Gouffran was better than Atsu imo although it could just be the passing of time making him seem a little better, I just remember him becoming quite competent towards the end of his spell with us. 

Atsu is a Championship player tbh, good pro and by all accounts a nice bloke but doesn’t pick his head up and look where his teammates are when he’s on the ball. I agree with AH that he improves when he starts a run of games though. 

• Like 1

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying he's a great player and if we had a more ambitious owner i'd hope for an upgrade but he's a half decent squad player compared to a lot of the recent shite. 

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying he's a great player and if we had a more ambitious owner i'd hope for an upgrade but he's a half decent squad player compared to a lot of the recent shite. 

Aye, I agree with that. Just protecting my main man Yoann. 

15 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Come on, you could endorse any player in the division if being better than Obertan made you not shite

Did Obertan not have a bit of a purple patch for us in his final season? And by purple patch I mean not totally dog shit.

18 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

relative to some of the other shite we've had, i'd disagree. obertan, for example. 

Obertan had a few good games, many from the bench. Very like Atsu. (Just dawned on me that sounds like a sneeze) and 2 I think very good games. UNlike Atsu

But comparing Atsu with Obertan is just about right.

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

And yet again, for what must be the fourth season in a row, is our top assist provider.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he hasn't finished his THIRD season yet, surely ?