Manchester United V Newcastle United // Saturday 18th November // 17.30 KO // Old Trafford

Anorthernsoul

The Manchester United train has just been wobbling on its tracks a little bit lately with only one win in their last four games and they have lost significant ground to rivals and leaders Manchester City. Their home form remains strong though and they face up to a Newcastle side who have now won just one of their last six league games, but the Magpies do know how to dig in there and scrap. Manchester United are 1/4 for the win, with the draw at 9/2 and Newcastle are a huge 11/1 price.

Manchester United v Newcastle Betting Tips

The Red Devils will be looking back to their home form for a boost as they have been struggling just a little bit lately in the top flight. Overall home and away they have gone W1 D1 L2 in their last four league games, but the one win in that sequence of form did happen at home. That was a big 1-0 win for them over Tottenham as well and it leaves them perfect on home soil this term with five wins from five. United have really returned well on home soil, scoring fifteen goals and no-one has broken their defence at Old Trafford either. Manchester United to win to nil in the match returns a price of 8/11. It has been extremely solid form them and after losing their last two away games, they need to prop themselves up with this home form. Under 2.5 goals at bet365, backing a comfortable clean sheet victory for the Reds is a price of 19/20.

Last Six Premier League Head to Head

Newcastle 3 – 3 Manchester United
Manchester United 0 – 0 Newcastle
Newcastle 0 – 1 Manchester United
Manchester United 3 – 1 Newcastle
Newcastle 0 – 4 Manchester United
Manchester United 0 – 1 Newcastle

Romelu Lukaku is the 9/4 bet65 first goalscorer favourite and he needs to get back among the goals on the domestic front. He had a decent time with Belgium in the international break so is decent value to break his four match Premier League scoreless streak. He is 8/11 in the anytime goalscorer market with Marcus Rashford at the even money mark. 73% of Manchester United’s goals at home in the league this season have all come in the second half of matches and a Draw/Manchester United half time/full time wager brings a price of 13/5. The last time that United hosted Newcastle in the Premier League was back in August 2015 and there was a 0-0 draw played out on that occasion. They are W1 D1 L1 in their last three home games against the Magpies. Will they be able to extend their home winning streak to six in the league this season?

Current League Form (most recent last)

Manchester United WWDLWL
Newcastle LDDWLL

Newcastle are sat in mid table at the moment, but they have fallen to back to back defeats in the Premier League so just a bit of a wobble from them. Those defeats were both 1-0 score lines against Burnley and Bournemouth, certainly not the toughest opposition that they will face this season. In the bet365 correct score market, a Manchester United 1-0 option is a 5/1 price with only a Manchester United 2-0 coming in at a shorter price of 9/2. Away from home this season in the top flight, Newcastle have only posted a W1 D1 L3 and from that it is hard to see them coming away with much from their trip to Old Trafford. The Magpies have won just one of their last eight Premier League games against Manchester United in a W1 D2 L5 record against the Red Devils. They have conceded at least three goals in five of their last eight league contests against Manchester United as well. They are going to need to produce a strong defensive display in this one to have a shot at a point.

No Newcastle player has managed more than two goals for the season so far and one of the two that have, is defender Jamaal Lascelles who is a doubt for this one. Joselu is a 4/1 anytime goalscorer option for the Magpies in this one, with Dwight Gayle at 10/3. Newcastle have struggled in front of goal out on the road this season with just the three goals in five games, but they haven’t been defensively bad with only the five conceded. In their other games against top four opposition this season, they lost at home against Tottenham and played out a 1-1 home draw with Liverpool. Four of their five defeats this season have been by a 1-0 scoreline which suggests that they aren’t going to get routed at Old Trafford. A Manchester United to win by a one goal margin at bet365 is a 5/2 option.

Who will win – Manchester United v Newcastle Predictions

Manchester United to win: This is probably going to end up being a little bit of a tight squeeze for the Red Devils. Newcastle though have just been stuttering as well a bit and the Red Devils can land themselves three points in this one. They’ll have to work hard for it though, and under 2.5 goals has big appeal.

Manchester United 3-1 Newcastle United.

Our first shellacking will come at Old Trafford. We're still without Merino, so we won't use the ball as well, on the rare occasions we actually see it. Benitez will likely stick with Joselu up front, but even if he does bring Mitrovic back into the fold I can't see any of our forwards getting much change out of Mourinho's back line.

We'll revert to the 4-2-3-1 but we'll still lose the midfield battle. Especially as Pogba's supposed to be available again.

Lascelles will enjoy the scrap with Lukaku, but the thought of Manquillo and Yedlin trying to stem their attacks from wide is a depressing one.

Shelvey to grab a consolation from 35yds in the 85th minute.

Yeah this is one of those games were we're not expected to get anything from. The best we can hope for is to try & contain them for as long as possible before the eventual barrage of goals go in 3-0

21 minutes ago, rogerbarton said:

Did I miss HF's departure? Was it done in a blaze of glory or a cloud of controversy?

The allegations have yet to be proven but it's not looking good for him.

30 minutes ago, rogerbarton said:

Did I miss HF's departure? Was it done in a blaze of glory or a cloud of controversy?

He just said he was busy with other things in his life and very wisely felt that the amount of time he was online here was non-conducive to his other life priorities.

Fair enough tbh.

Edited by Rayvin

32 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

Exactly, it's a waste of time. No-one's even looking at the results.

I am, sporadically. But I've not been able to bother my arse to do much about them at the mo.

Just now, Rayvin said:

He just said he was busy with other things in his life and very wisely felt that the amount of time he was online here was non-conducive to his other life priorities.

Fair enough tbh.

I don't understand.

42 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Is anyone bothering with the poll this year? Since HF left the forum there's no administrative clout around here.

has he officially dumped us for good? without a leaving do or anything. 

ditto monkeys fist and chez. :(

gemmill couldn't stay away. 

On 21/08/2017 at 1:22 PM, Happy Face said:

au contraire. Hooked as ever.  That's the problem!  Telling the kids I couldn't play because I was writing up another meaningless/purposeless/transient/ineffective/timewasting paragraph on why terrorism isn't a religious statement but a political one.

Can't have that.  Once they're telling me to stop being so embarrassing I'll be more regular again.

Not doing the predictions like.  Said last year, Fish is welcome to enjoy people complaining about his scoring system & submission rules :D

Think this covers it for HF. Renton and Gloom seem to have done for him thanks to the terrorism discussions.

Thanks guys :thumbsup: