Only in America...

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Boy, 8, charged in shooting of girl, 7

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Maryland prosecutors have filed charges against an 8-year-old boy who shot and wounded a 7-year-old girl after threatening to rob her at a suburban day-care center, The Washington Post said on Wednesday.

The boy's father, "a felon with a lengthy record," was arrested and charged with leaving a firearm within reach of an unsupervised minor and other offenses after the Tuesday shooting, the Post said.

The third-grader had sneaked his father's .38-caliber revolver into the facility in his backpack on Tuesday, the paper said, quoting law-enforcement officials. He had been suspended in the past for bringing a weapon to school.

Police had initially said the boy accidentally shot the girl, a second-grade student, as a group of six children were attending a before-school program at the For Kids We Care day-care center in Germantown, Maryland, a Washington suburb.

But the Post said, "The sources said the boy threatened to rob the girl and then fired the gun once, striking her in the upper right arm."

The girl was reported in stable condition in a Washington hospital on Tuesday night, the paper said.

The boy "was charged as a juvenile with numerous counts that police declined to outline," it said. He was placed in the custody of the Maryland Department of Juvenile Services.

Boy, 8, charged in shooting of girl, 7

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Maryland prosecutors have filed charges against an 8-year-old boy who shot and wounded a 7-year-old girl after threatening to rob her at a suburban day-care center, The Washington Post said on Wednesday.

The boy's father, "a felon with a lengthy record," was arrested and charged with leaving a firearm within reach of an unsupervised minor and other offenses after the Tuesday shooting, the Post said.

The third-grader had sneaked his father's .38-caliber revolver into the facility in his backpack on Tuesday, the paper said, quoting law-enforcement officials. He had been suspended in the past for bringing a weapon to school.

Police had initially said the boy accidentally shot the girl, a second-grade student, as a group of six children were attending a before-school program at the For Kids We Care day-care center in Germantown, Maryland, a Washington suburb.

But the Post said, "The sources said the boy threatened to rob the girl and then fired the gun once, striking her in the upper right arm."

The girl was reported in stable condition in a Washington hospital on Tuesday night, the paper said.

The boy "was charged as a juvenile with numerous counts that police declined to outline," it said. He was placed in the custody of the Maryland Department of Juvenile Services.

84566[/snapback]

:huh::search:

It may be "only  in America" but lets be honest, change shot to stab and it could easilly be this country the way things are these days.

84569[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly- Jamie Bulger anyone?

Edited by Mags

Maybe so. Perhaps we should be thankful that we don't keep guns around the house in this country.

84572[/snapback]

Just out of curiosity, is this a popular english/european preconception?

Maybe so. Perhaps we should be thankful that we don't keep guns around the house in this country.

84572[/snapback]

84574[/snapback]

I think it is. Is it a misconception? What percentage of home-owners in the States keep guns would you say?

84572[/snapback]

84574[/snapback]

I think it is. Is it a misconception? What percentage of home-owners in the States keep guns would you say?

84577[/snapback]

I went upstate New York in the Summer. Just about everyone we met had guns at home. Shot one myself. One fella invited us around to shoot his shot gun :huh:

Of course. I'm sure some parts of America are different from others. etc etc.

Edited by Holden McGroin

I remember reading that there are 51million registered guns in Texas - thats 3 per head of population.

I also noticed "had been suspended for bringing a weapon before" - suspended?

84572[/snapback]

84574[/snapback]

84577[/snapback]

As with almost anyplace you go, it all depends on the area. The concept of americans as guntoting zealots is unfortunate in that there are some like that, but they are far and away the minority. I suppose at this point I should be used to these sort of generalisations and I really can't see how my biting will change any preconcieved opinions. Maybe the best way I can sum it up is that I find these sort of assumption as accurate as stating all englishmen are hooligans.

Do a large majority own guns? Most likely. Take into consideration tho that when looking at the percentages of guns per person you need to understand that most gun owners own many, not just one. You could have one individual who owns twenty odd firearms for sport or as a collection(usually all of which must be registered according to their state's laws) one person owning the 3 gun ratio for 6+ individuals if you go by that ratio for Texas that NJS posted. I don't deny that we have guns here, but when you take into account the amount of people who own them and then look at the amount of (for lack of a better word) incidents like this shooting in Maryland I'd hope it could be seen that it is the minority of idiots out there accountable. And despite what is seen in the movies a high majority of americans do not roam the streets 'packing heat' as I feel many english assume. I'm not looking for an arguement, nor am I looking to make excuses. I do admit that owning guns for many IS a way of life here and is an intrinsic part of their culture. I simply am stating that in fact it is not as blatant and callous/careless as I think many assume.

Consider, too, countries where guns are common and crime is rare. Switzerland boasts a heavily armed population and a thriving gun culture (shooting contests for children are a popular tradition). Yet its homicide rates are comparable to Great Britain's. Israel, where most adults are either on active military duty or in the reserves and almost every home has a weapon, also has a low murder rate, on a par with most of Western Europe.

What's more, more than half of gun deaths in this country (about 55 percent) are not homicides, but suicides. Am I saying that we needn't be concerned if people merely shoot themselves rather than shoot others? No. But in this case, blaming the guns for the deaths is especially dubious.

Curiously, when it comes to suicide, we don't see many comparisons with all those countries that so wisely keep guns out of people's hands - maybe because old gun-crazy America wouldn't look so bad by comparison. In 1996, the suicide rate per 100,000 people was 11.8 in the United States, 13.4 in Canada, 17.9 in Japan, 20.9 in France and 25 in Finland.

http://www.locksley.com/6696/guns3.htm

While this quote and article were written by an american and I am in no way denying any sort of bias it may put a few things into a different light.

Edited by Mags

84572[/snapback]

84574[/snapback]

84577[/snapback]

As with almost anyplace you go, it all depends on the area. The concept of americans as guntoting zealots is unfortunate in that there are some like that, but they are far and away the minority. I suppose at this point I should be used to these sort of generalisations and I really can't see how my biting will change any preconcieved opinions. Maybe the best way I can sum it up is that I find these sort of assumption as accurate as stating all englishmen are hooligans.

Do a large majority own guns? Most likely. Take into consideration tho that when looking at the percentages of guns per person you need to understand that most gun owners own many, not just one. You could have one individual who owns twenty odd firearms for sport or as a collection(usually all of which must be registered according to their state's laws) one person owning the 3 gun ratio for 6+ individuals if you go by that ratio for Texas that NJS posted. I don't deny that we have guns here, but when you take into account the amount of people who own them and then look at the amount of (for lack of a better word) incidents like this shooting in Maryland I'd hope it could be seen that it is the minority of idiots out there accountable. And despite what is seen in the movies a high majority of americans do not roam the streets 'packing heat' as I feel many english assume. I'm not looking for an arguement, nor am I looking to make excuses. I do admit that owning guns for many IS a way of life here and is an intrinsic part of their culture. I simply am stating that in fact it is not as blatant and callous/careless as I think many assume.

Consider, too, countries where guns are common and crime is rare. Switzerland boasts a heavily armed population and a thriving gun culture (shooting contests for children are a popular tradition). Yet its homicide rates are comparable to Great Britain's. Israel, where most adults are either on active military duty or in the reserves and almost every home has a weapon, also has a low murder rate, on a par with most of Western Europe.

What's more, more than half of gun deaths in this country (about 55 percent) are not homicides, but suicides. Am I saying that we needn't be concerned if people merely shoot themselves rather than shoot others? No. But in this case, blaming the guns for the deaths is especially dubious.

Curiously, when it comes to suicide, we don't see many comparisons with all those countries that so wisely keep guns out of people's hands - maybe because old gun-crazy America wouldn't look so bad by comparison. In 1996, the suicide rate per 100,000 people was 11.8 in the United States, 13.4 in Canada, 17.9 in Japan, 20.9 in France and 25 in Finland.

http://www.locksley.com/6696/guns3.htm

While this quote and article were written by an american and I am in no way denying any sort of bias it may put a few things into a different light.

84592[/snapback]

Interesting post, thanks.

I guess we have this preconception because every american film or tv show we see has a character with a Desert Eagle on their bedside table or a Beretta in their glovebox or purse.

Seriously- as was pointed out to me(by an englishman, and NOT gol :huh: ) the majority of you (generalisation) have no idea the amount of laws we have governing gun ownership. It is illegal to carry any concealed weapon without special permit and the background checks done when applying are unbelievable. It's the illegal purchase and use of firearms that is the negative aspect so often splashed across the media. But I digress, so I'll shut up now.

I don't think that we see Americans as gun-toting psychopaths, I think we're not surprised when it occurs.

If that very same crime had happened in Switzerland I'm not ashamed to say that I would have been massively shocked. For two reasons, one I didn't know that the Swiss permitted gun ownership and secondly I didn't realise the Swiss permitted 8 yr olds.

I'm of the opinion that permitting Gun Ownership promotes escalation and I'm yet to hear a viable argument in favour of gun ownership.

I read recently that the vast majority of the (admittedly few) murders in Switzerland are carried out using the "compulsory" home gun. I know if you want to kill someone then you'd probably find a way but having deadly weapons to hand can't help.

I read recently that the vast majority of the (admittedly few) murders in Switzerland are carried out using the "compulsory" home gun. I know if you want to kill someone then you'd probably find a way but having deadly weapons to hand can't help.

84641[/snapback]

I'd heard they were hardly EVER used to kill people in Switzerland.....................

Seriously- as was pointed out to me(by an englishman, and NOT gol :lol: ) the majority of you (generalisation) have no idea the amount of laws we have governing gun ownership. It is illegal to carry any concealed weapon without special permit and the background checks done when applying are unbelievable. It's the illegal purchase and use of firearms that is the negative aspect so often splashed across the media. But I digress, so I'll shut up now.

84597[/snapback]

America seems to be awash with guns that seem to easy too come by. I don't know how true that is and I realise that every state has different laws and things but that certainly seems to be the perception in this country. Americans can't really have a go at other countries for not knowing the ins and outs of their gun laws when most Americans are pretty ignorant about the rest of the world though, can they? :unsure:

84641[/snapback]

I'd heard they were hardly EVER used to kill people in Switzerland.....................

84644[/snapback]

Yep, there was a huge upyodel down in the south when a lunatic stormed a local parliament and shot a few people by using his compulsory weapon. The holding of guns was discussed afterwards and they changed their gun laws.

84641[/snapback]

84644[/snapback]

Yep, there was a huge upyodel down in the south when a lunatic stormed a local parliament and shot a few people by using his compulsory weapon. The holding of guns was discussed afterwards and they changed their gun laws.

84661[/snapback]

surprised they haven't invaded you lot TBH - they spend more on arms than you do, they have a big army .........................

84641[/snapback]

84644[/snapback]

84661[/snapback]

surprised they haven't invaded you lot TBH - they spend more on arms than you do, they have a big army .........................

84666[/snapback]

They make great knives like.

84641[/snapback]

84644[/snapback]

84661[/snapback]

84666[/snapback]

No reason, they already have "our" gold...

I used to work for a guy who was really broadminded expcet on 2 subjects - any job applications from people with a PhD or who were Swiss went straight in the bin.....................