World Cup 2018

Meenzer

Right then, I know we've got the thread about the dodgy bids for 2018 and 2022 already, but I suppose the 2018 event should have its own one really. Let's start with the pots for the draw (which takes place on 1 December).

Pot 1

Russia
 Germany
 Brazil
 Portugal
 Argentina
 Belgium
 Poland
 France

Pot 2

Spain
 Peru
 Switzerland
 England
 Colombia
 Mexico
 Uruguay
 Croatia

Pot 3

Denmark
 Iceland
 Costa Rica
 Sweden
 Tunisia
 Egypt
 Senegal
 Iran

Pot 4

Serbia
 Nigeria
 Australia
 Japan
 Morocco
 Panama
 South Korea
 Saudi Arabia

There'll be the usual shenanigans to ensure that (to quote Wikipedia) "As with previous editions, no group may have more than one team from any continental confederation with the exception of UEFA, which may have no more than two in a group."

With that in mind, who do you fancy for Gareth's Brave Boys?

With the players at Southgate's disposal England should have quite an exciting, young team but tbh, I'm not too hopeful of us getting out of our group (and that's before the draw's even made).

I've not watched us closely but this article from Barney Ronay makes me think we are :lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/nov/14/neymar-magic-unable-to-dominate-brazil-england

"In 6 hours and 40 minutes of football, we have a combined score of 2-0 - one of which was a penalty".

Edited by Rayvin

4 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

There’s just nowt in midfield. No flair, one-paced, no vision but they do all run around a lot which is what crap managers like Southgate love

Eh? Isn't Dele Alli supposed to be the greatest midfielder England has produced since Glenn Hoddle?

It's already a good WC cause they Italians and their schedule of 0-0 won't be there and they won't deal with us in the first knock out round either. Pot One isn't that daunting - a lot of those sides have been poor in patches. Out to the Belgiums in the Semis. :D

11 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

There’s just nowt in midfield. No flair, one-paced, no vision but they do all run around a lot which is what crap managers like Southgate love

Beyond Dele Alli there's definitely a lack of creativity in the middle of the park like

4 minutes ago, Park Life said:

It's already a good WC cause they Italians and their schedule of 0-0 won't be there

As opposed to free scoring England and your total of five goals from the last two World Cups?

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

We could potentially end up in this group: 

Poland

England

Iran

Saudi Arabia 

There's always a group of death, but this one looks like a group of shite

There's one Sunni in there.

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

We could potentially end up in this group: 

Poland

England

Iran

Saudi Arabia 

There's always a group of death, but this one looks like a group of shite

A group made up of Muslims and Poles. It's a little Englander's dream.

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

Beyond Dele Alli there's definitely a lack of creativity in the middle of the park like

loftus cheek impressed in the recent friendlies. he may as well throw the kids in tbh. 

i just hope he doesn't play henderson alongside dier. that's just not good enough pairing at international level. you need one of your deep central midfielders to be capable of keeping the ball under pressure and playing it forwards.

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

loftus cheek impressed in the recent friendlies. he may as well throw the kids in tbh. 

i just hope he doesn't play henderson alongside dier. that's just not good enough pairing at international level. you need one of your deep central midfielders to be capable of keeping the ball under pressure and playing it forwards.

It's a shame Oxlade-Chamerlain hasn't developed as you would hope because he looked like he might've been just the sort of player to have in a midfield 3.